Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

New Hooker 2nd-gen F-body/DSE headers and exhaust system

Happy New Year to all the 2nd-gen F-body members. I want to let the DSE suspension users know that Hooker has recently released new LS swap long-tube headers and a 3" exhaust system designed for compatibility with the DSE suspension systems. You can find the parts and the instructions on the Holley website under the 2nd-gen F-body LS swap system application pages...cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Toddoky View Post
      Happy New Year to all the 2nd-gen F-body members. I want to let the DSE suspension users know that Hooker has recently released new LS swap long-tube headers and a 3" exhaust system designed for compatibility with the DSE suspension systems. You can find the parts and the instructions on the Holley website under the 2nd-gen F-body LS swap system application pages...cheers!
      Does that include a quadra link tail pipe system? I saw the headers, excellent DSE alternative with being considerably cheaper.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Yes, the tailpipes of the exhaust system are designed specifically to clear the Quadralink components. As you are most likely aware, there is no available room around the corners of the fuel tank to route 3" tubing, so fitment was accomplished through the placement of two windows that are to be cut into the trunk pan and be re-built following the exhaust system install. The exhaust system is listed on the same page as the headers on the website; you can access the instructions there to see what I'm referring to.

I did find them and saw you had to cut the trunk. I'm starting to think this is neccessary too. I have the pypes kits and it does not look like the tail pipes fit. Support from the test fit person and pypes has me dazed why I can't get instruction or more pictures. Does Holley give you fill in pieces or do you have to fabricate this your self?

Do you have more pictures? Holley also hides these too. One pic with holes on the trunk and the next one all completed is covered by carpet....
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      I did find them and saw you had to cut the trunk. I'm starting to think this is neccessary too. I have the pypes kits and it does not look like the tail pipes fit. Support from the test fit person and pypes has me dazed why I can't get instruction or more pictures. Does Holley give you fill in pieces or do you have to fabricate this your self?

Do you have more pictures? Holley also hides these too. One pic with holes on the trunk and the next one all completed is covered by carpet....
      Cutting into and then patching the trunk floor is the only way to route 3" tubing and be able to run really wide tires. All Hooker applications are developed in-house, so any fitment information you need can be provided to by merely sending me a PM. I was not the design engineer who worked on this particular project, but I can access install photos from my co-worker who was. The patch panels are not included and need to be fabricated by the user.

Please send me a pm for more info
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Product images

Here some images for you Badazz. We actually don't hide photos...these products are just so new we haven't had a chance to post them up anywhere yet.Name:  DSE  header collage_70101320-RHKR.jpg
Views: 2246
Size:  125.0 KBName:  DSE_Camaro_02_s.jpg
Views: 2229
Size:  155.4 KBName:  DSE  exhaust collage 70501340-RHKR.jpg
Views: 2593
Size:  208.9 KBName:  DSE_Camaro_06_s.jpg
Views: 2997
Size:  80.8 KBName:  DSE_Camaro_08_s.jpg
Views: 2366
Size:  123.5 KBName:  DSE_Camaro_07_s.jpg
Views: 2612
Size:  157.4 KB

That's pretty impressive. Nice job on those headers and they are half the price of DSE. Does the tank need to be notched too? Do you have pictures of the cut marked inside and out by the support cross bar?
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      That's pretty impressive. Nice job on those headers and they are half the price of DSE. Does the tank need to be notched too? Do you have pictures of the cut marked inside and out by the support cross bar?
      No notching of the tank is required, the system was designed around the use of a common off-the-shelf aftermarket tank, which I'll find out the name of for you. I've put in a request for a photo of the cuts in the floor...stay tuned.

These two photos show the location as size of the notches in better detail. The small diameter cross-tube did have to be cut out as in runs directly in the optimum path of the exhaust tubing. Name:  DSCN1682 - Copy.JPG
Views: 2171
Size:  805.9 KBName:  DSCN1728 - Copy.JPG
Views: 5952
Size:  657.0 KB

Oh, wow...cutting the cross bar out isnt ideal for the quadra-link. Probably be ok for a driver, but any spirited driving may be an issue. Was this kit specifically for DSE or a universal for many rearend kits?
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Yes, the system was developed specifically for use with the Quadralink. As you've discovered, allowable room to package 3" exhaust tubing into the car was not provided for in the design of the DSE system assembly. When that discovery was made the owner of the car was consulted as to the limited options that were available for routing the tubing that would allow the suspension to fully operate.

He was totally fine with cutting the bar out of the way and he will be using the car almost exclusively in a competitive setting. Obviously, not all users will feel the same about that, so those with the funds/ability to fabricate can modify the tubing to get past the bar in any fashion they prefer. Since the hanger positions are fore and aft of the affected area, the fabrication work will only require cutting/welding of the tubing itself and create the easiest re-work scenario possible.

So i actually just purchased a 3'' kit for my second gen. is there 2 different kits because i don't have a dse 4 link and really dont want to cur my trunk floor? what is the part number on this kit?

Quote Originally Posted by weircc View Post
      So i actually just purchased a 3'' kit for my second gen. is there 2 different kits because i don't have a dse 4 link and really dont want to cur my trunk floor? what is the part number on this kit?
      Yes, there are two different 3" exhaust kits available from Hooker for 2nd-gen F-bodies. If you just purchased a 42502HKR kit, it is designed to install on cars without the DSE Quadralink system and does not require any cutting of the car to install.

Ok that's the kit I have.. I hope mine looks this good when finished. Will it dump in same spot?

Quote Originally Posted by weircc View Post
      Ok that's the kit I have.. I hope mine looks this good when finished. Will it dump in same spot?
      The quality of both systems is very good, but there are content/style differences between them due to them being from different product lines. The DSE-specific components are part of the new Hooker Blackheart line and are produced in our Bowling Green, KY facility; the system designed for stock configured vehicles is part of the standard Hooker line and is produced in our Aberdeen, MS facility.

Both systems use the same mufflers and OE grade band clamps, but the hangers and X-pipe construction method differs between them.The tailpipe exits of the DSE-specific systems convey a pro-touring look and the exit style of the standard system more closely follows the stock tailpipe exit scheme.

I love the way those headers are tucked up high and tight! Do you offer a comparable 3" system like the one above that fits nice and tight to the floor like that for a 1st Gen F-body with an old school SBC/T56 Mag?

Back in 2011 when I was still building Dust Off, I test fit a couple different Hooker header PNs but they just hung way too low. I don't think you had that BlackHeart series back then. I would love to find a set of SBC headers that fit like the ones above.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      I love the way those headers are tucked up high and tight! Do you offer a comparable 3" system like the one above that fits nice and tight to the floor like that for a 1st Gen F-body with an old school SBC/T56 Mag?

Back in 2011 when I was still building Dust Off, I test fit a couple different Hooker header PNs but they just hung way too low. I don't think you had that BlackHeart series back then. I would love to find a set of SBC headers that fit like the ones above.
      Actually Steve, yes we do. The 3" exhaust system was prototyped as part of our effort to develop our 1st-gen LS swap system of parts and then we followed that up development of new small block headers that connect to the same exhaust system through different inlet pipes. The parts are all for stock subframe/suspension cars, so if you have a DSE set-up they won't work for you.

Actually Steve, yes we do. The 3" exhaust system was prototyped as part of our effort to develop our 1st-gen LS swap system of parts and then we followed that up development of new small block headers that connect to the same exhaust system through different inlet pipes. The parts are all for stock subframe/suspension cars, so if you have a DSE set-up they won't work for you.
      Go ahead and start a thread for those too. Part numbers and pics.
      Lot of people will be interested in them.

My current headers fit good, but man do they hang low....

To be honest, when I was searching for headers in 2011 I test fit probably 10 or 12 different sets(Summit hated me back then because I kept sending headers back). But what I found was that any header that would fit the stock 1st gen Camaro sub with SBC would also work with the DSE sub and SBC including the Z-bar clutch linkage.

Can you post the pn for these headers? I would love to find out more about them.

And please, like Randy said, start a new thread for the 1st gen 3" exhaust with pics too please.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com