• Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: Germany
      Slow progress.

Country Flag: Australia
      But important progress!

Clean looking truck. Nice one.
      1967 Mustang Fastback - widebody https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...stang-Fastback
      1966 Plymouth Fury III
      1961 Oldsmobile 88 "bubbletop" = next project

It's really clean and i already have a bad feeling about cutting holes into the cab... While i am playing the waiting game, i can aswell post the pics i got.

Exterior:

underhood:

Interior:

Comes with complete paperwork

Underneath:

Country Flag: United States
      That is super clean. Nice buy!
      Johnny C.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      70 'cuda, Pro-Charged 408 stroker, Tremec 5 speed, Strange S-60, Alter-k-tion, Tri 4, Hydroboost and Wilwoods

Truck arrived at the warehouse in Houston. More waiting.

Still contemplating on how to achieve big brakes. I am looking into Gen 2 Viper parts again... and the V10.

Ditched the idea about the V10 when i learned what it weighs.
      It's about 165lbs heavier than the 6.1/6.4 Gen 3 Hemi.
      The Gen 3 Hemi in turn is only 10-20 lbs heavier than the 225 slant six that's in this truck.

Country Flag: Australia
      Someone has loved that truck. Great find.
      1967 Mustang Fastback - widebody https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...stang-Fastback
      1966 Plymouth Fury III
      1961 Oldsmobile 88 "bubbletop" = next project

Quote Originally Posted by kingcrunch View Post
      Ditched the idea about the V10 when i learned what it weighs.
      It's about 165lbs heavier than the 6.1/6.4 Gen 3 Hemi.
      The Gen 3 Hemi in turn is only 10-20 lbs heavier than the 225 slant six that's in this truck.
      The Gen III's are around 500lbs with accessories, they are not as light as many think. An aluminum V10 is right in the same neighborhood.
      Emil Bunger

Everything counts when you are coming from (an estimated) 70/30 front/rear weight distribution.
      I am adding an intercooler, piping, a turbo, manifold and i don't want to add more than necessary.
      The stock copper rad will be replaced with an aluminum unit, battery moved to the rear, bumper replaced with a fiberglass version if i can find someone that can take a mold from the stock bumper.
      Saving weight on the front end and moving everything that's not necessary up front to the rear is key - i think.

very clean truck, like the idea behind the build.

The truck will arrive in a few days! Yay!

I talked to a company that makes top-notch road legal carbon fiber parts. They would build me a carbon fiber version of my bumper (3600 USD including the mould and first bumper).
      Anybody interested in a carbon fiber Dodge bumper?

As soon as the truck has arrived, i will pick the best bumper, bolt that to my other '85 Ram and take the not-so-good bumper to the sand blasters shop where it will be stripped of the chrome.
      After that, all openings will the welded shut (temporarily) for a smooth surface.

Ok guys, it looks like i will take delivery of the truck sometime around next week. Yay!

1985 Dodge Power Ram W250 3/4t 360/518/241
      2005 Dodge Ram 1500 SRT-10 505/T56/D60 small upgrades

Behold, the race truck.

Behold, the race truck.
      Wow that trucks immaculate! We're ready to see the modding commence

It really is. Even the description of the vehicles condition on the warehouse receipt states "NICE!!!"
      The only downfall is, that the keys came with the keyring of a Chevy dealership

It will need a refresh of the chassis, new red and violet wires in the engine wiring harness (insulation hard and cracked), all of the plastic vacuum connectors will need replacing (how do you shrink rubber?) and it does not have a front anti sway bar.

I will spare the ball joints until i know whether this bad boy fits in there:

This is a spindle off a Gen 2 Viper.
      I took some measurements from that picture, according to these it should be only slightly higher than the stock truck spindle and incorporate a 2" drop over the stock spindle.
      If this would prove to be correct i can see about the balljoints needed to adapt it...

Anybody have a good idea for replacing the rubber bushings at the strut rod? I am not too fond of the caster changing during braking.
      I do not like the idea of using spherical bearings, they are not really made for that direction of load.

Toys for the toy.

This is a Gen 2 Viper spindle. I'll compare it to the stock truck spindle i have on the bench lateron. Hope it fits without too much modification.

More pics in a few hours.

Toys for the toy.

This is a Gen 2 Viper spindle. I'll compare it to the stock truck spindle i have on the bench lateron. Hope it fits without too much modification.

More pics in a few hours.
      You may want to look into the duty rating of the bearings that are incorporated into the Viper spindle. I'm sure Viper's nose weight is a lot less than the truck, throw in the added load of auto cross duties/racing, and you may very easily exceed the designed load limit. This same conversation has been discussed many times with using Corvette spindles in retrofit applications on older muscle cars, but they aren't much heavier than the Corvette. Just something to consider.
      -Mike

Thanks Mike!

I think you are right.
      It might become a problem in the future... but on the other hand, the Viper bearing at least is designed to work with really wide wheels and high corner loads which would be a problem with the ancient truck bearing design.
      I do plan to cut quite some nose weight off this truck (mainly by using custom carbon fiber parts and relocating stuff, light all aluminum V8, aluminum radiator, etc.) so the bearing problem might put itself into perspective then.

After some careful measuring it seems the Viper and the D150 share some parts or at least some design features:

- tie rod orientation and taper (taper is the same, referenced with the MOOG catalog)
      - ball joint orientation and taper on upper and lower ball joint (it looks like they share the Moog K778 upper ball joint)
      - steering arm is within reach (24mm shorter than the Dodge steering arm, which is great because it will enhance steering ratio)

It also comes with a 1.9" drop over the stock dodge spindle.

So far for the similarities. The problem is:

- while the faces of the ball joint holes on the truck spindle are parallel, on the Viper spindle they are designed to be parallel to the control arms, which have lots of anti dive designed into them.

I apologize, the pics turn out to be crappy. Usually my cell phone makes better pictures... but i think it can be easily seen what i am talking about.
      Don't let the steering arm on that truck/van spindle confuse you like it did with me. It is a part of a van and on them the tie rod mounts upside down compared to the trucks.

Side to side of the spindles:

I hope i can get away with the misalignment of the ball joints and here is why i think i can:

This pic shows the suspension with the hydraulic jack under the lower control arm, with full nose weight on it.
      The ball joint shaft sits at an angle. With the viper spindle it should straighten out more...

Anyways i believe (and yet have to get exact numbers) i will have to do something about the control arm placement.
      I'll try and aquire measurements of the Vipers front upper control arm. Maybe it fits aswell? At least they seem to share an upper ball joint.

I'll keep you updated.

Alex

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com