Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

View Poll Results: What trans option for OD?

Voters
    25. You may not vote on this poll
    • Keep the TH350 but add gear vendors OD

2 8.00%
    • 4L60E and controller

8 32.00%
    • 2004R

10 40.00%
    • 5 speed

5 20.00%
      Country Flag: United States

OD Tranny options

I'm at a crossroads. I'm in desperate need of an overdrive gear and want to know what you all think. Currently the nova is running a 355 SBC and TCI street fighter TH350 trans. I want to do some more road tripping and with the new 3.73:1 rear gears in turning 3300rpm at 65mph. What should I do??
      Brian
      -1972 Nova
      -1968 Camaro
      -1990 Iroc Camaro

OD Tranny options

Swap to a 700R4 or 4L60e.

Or put a Gear Vendors unit in it. The trans swap may be cheaper though.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

I have a 383 450hp 465 tq TCI 350 and a gear vendors. LOVE IT!!! I believe in the Camaro I have 355 gears and with the gv cruising at 80mph at 2500 rpm. Plus all the gear change options with a push of a button is fun in the canyons.

If you go with a 200R4 it is direct bolt in. Drive shaft cross member, rear trans mount. It has a adjustable throttle linkage like a 700R4 and you still have to readjust shifter detents. My understanding is that it will work without modification if you do not want to control 1st gear. Replace the torque converter [it will bolt right up], Starter will work with no modification. Price wise it is approximately the same price as a 700R4 and the 4L60E[needs electronic shift controller] but no rear cross member to modify, drive shaft to shorten, and in some cases modify the drive shaft tunnel. Art Carr says he can build one to handle 1000 hp.

overdrive gear ratios for gear vendors is 70 and the 700R4 AND 4L60E is 70 and the 200R4 is 67

Quote Originally Posted by chpr1972 View Post
      If you go with a 200R4 it is direct bolt in. Drive shaft cross member, rear trans mount. It has a adjustable throttle linkage like a 700R4 and you still have to readjust shifter detents. My understanding is that it will work without modification if you do not want to control 1st gear. Replace the torque converter [it will bolt right up], Starter will work with no modification. Price wise it is approximately the same price as a 700R4 and the 4L60E[needs electronic shift controller] but no rear cross member to modify, drive shaft to shorten, and in some cases modify the drive shaft tunnel. Art Carr says he can build one to handle 1000 hp.
      I have read up on the 2004r and that they are the best option for someone who has a TH350 now and doesnt want to modify the care to swap to OD. The only worry I have about them (and the 700R4) is that they rely on the TV cable for line pressure and shifting. They always seem very difficult to get right and if you dont you can burn up a tranny fast. i had a 1990 Iroc Camaro with a 700R4 and could never get the adjustment right on that. My brother burned up the 700r4 he had in his nova becuase of that. Would a full manual valve body get rid of the TV cable all together?
      Brian
      -1972 Nova
      -1968 Camaro
      -1990 Iroc Camaro

It should, but I don't know that for a fact. I have a GV behind a manual valve-body Hughes TH400. A six speed would've been a better choice in my case but I was over the torque ratings of all but the top $$ manufacturers for transmissions in 1999. Now, everyone makes something that will stand up to the torque I make or want to make. With that said, I love my combo. My BBC is rev-limited to 6400 rpm and has survived every full throttle shift into OD at the drag track that I've asked of it and it's still perfect.
      IMHO- your torque level should determine which trans you go with.
      1968 Camaro --502HO, ATI 10" TreeMaster, Hughes TH400 with Gear Vendor's OD, Moser 12-bolt, RideTech StrongArms and MuscleBar, Chris Alston G-bar rear suspension, 2 1/8" by 4" Lemon's Headers through 3" Pypes X-pipe and Hooker AeroChambers.

I'm really leaning toward the 2004r swap over a GV OD. I think it's the best overall swap because it's much cheaper and will fit exactly where my th350 is without modification. The only fear I have is the TV cable operation
      Brian
      -1972 Nova
      -1968 Camaro
      -1990 Iroc Camaro

Lots of options, and just as many opinions. I voted 2004r. No brainer to me. You will have to get it overhauled to suit your power level. I see you are in Phoenix. The Turbo Buick guys out there have Nick Micale. You should get with him and find out who does their trans(might be him not sure). http://arizonagn.com/?page_id=86 I put my 2004r together and you could too if you are so inclined.

As pointed out, the trans bolts in place of the th350 by just moving the crossmember back to the th400 position. Uses the same drive shaft as the th350. That just leaves the tv cable and brackets.

You don't say what carb you are using but there are plenty of kits for many different carbs.
      Check out www.tvmadeez.com

On the left there is a box with a list of carbs. Click on yours.

And for a little tv how and why there is this http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php

Let us know what you come up with.
      Texas is the only state that could become its own country.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
      Lots of options, and just as many opinions. I voted 2004r. No brainer to me. You will have to get it overhauled to suit your power level. I see you are in Phoenix. The Turbo Buick guys out there have Nick Micale. You should get with him and find out who does their trans(might be him not sure). http://arizonagn.com/?page_id=86 I put my 2004r together and you could too if you are so inclined.

As pointed out, the trans bolts in place of the th350 by just moving the crossmember back to the th400 position. Uses the same drive shaft as the th350. That just leaves the tv cable and brackets.

You don't say what carb you are using but there are plenty of kits for many different carbs.
      Check out www.tvmadeez.com

On the left there is a box with a list of carbs. Click on yours.

And for a little tv how and why there is this http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php

Let us know what you come up with.
      I'm pretty sure the 200-4R is the way I will go. The only worry I have is that I'm running an aftermarket 4 barrel throttle body in place of a carb so I have no clue what linkage will work.
      Brian
      -1972 Nova
      -1968 Camaro
      -1990 Iroc Camaro

I just acquired my dad's 56 chevy and at some point I will want a od....it's already got a th400 I think the gear vendors would be bullet proof option.

Quote Originally Posted by 70TWO NOVA View Post
      I'm pretty sure the 200-4R is the way I will go. The only worry I have is that I'm running an aftermarket 4 barrel throttle body in place of a carb so I have no clue what linkage will work.
      I just ran across your post. In case you haven't decided on a control cable set up yet, I do have the Tru-Shift system that will work with a wide variety of carbs or several of the 4 barrel throttle body kits out there.
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

Quote Originally Posted by jasonsnova View Post
      I just acquired my dad's 56 chevy and at some point I will want a od....it's already got a th400 I think the gear vendors would be bullet proof option.
      The GV over drive is a bullet proof unit. The problem is it costs as much as a new OD transmission. And, once installed, you still have to deal with your old transmission and any pre-existing problems it may have. Years ago, the GV units were the only real choice if you wanted OD. But today there are so many better alternative OD transmissions that they no longer make good economical sense.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

The Gear Vendor is only a 22% overdrive...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

the 2004 r has better gear ratios than the 700r4. the 200 has a first gear around 2.68 first gear, the 700 (same ratios as 4l60e) has a 3.06 first gear, great launch but big drop to second. there are gears available to change the 700 over to about the same ratios as a 200, but big bucks. do not run a lock up converter if you are big horsepower, it will take out the lockup and that takes out the rest of the trans.

i have been running my 2004r on the road race track for about 5 years, with a 440 horse sbc, no lock up, so far it has lived. i am out there for twenty to thirty minutes in a race.

Gary

200 has worked well for me, I made my own bracket and the trans hasn't died and the fluid still looks fine. Without going T56 and getting that .5 final ration the .67 of the 200 is hard to beat and makes a 3.73 fine for interstate use.

https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

Quote Originally Posted by sanman View Post
      I have a 383 450hp 465 tq TCI 350 and a gear vendors. LOVE IT!!! I believe in the Camaro I have 355 gears and with the gv cruising at 80mph at 2500 rpm. Plus all the gear change options with a push of a button is fun in the canyons.
      Th700r4 with a GV here... effdctive 8 speed transmission. Absolutely phenomenal... makes 4 speeds seem like driving a Model T.

With 3.42 axle ratio, in "8th" gear I'm only doing around 2500 rpm at 100 mph. Crusing at 70-80 mph, I'm getting around 28-29 mpg.

Its not cheap but IMO worth every penny for what it does.

To have the most fun with it though you need to have the button on the shifter.
      1971 Camaro
      GM HT383, MiniRam EFI, AFR heads
      "8-speed" trans (700R4 + Gear Vendors OD)

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com