Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

1969 Camaro "flush" bumpers

Hey guys. Another bumper question, but I've searched and haven't found exactly what I was looking for.

I'm getting to the point in my build where I will be needing bumpers soon.

Both front and rear will be painted. They are going on my 1969 z/28. I like the endura style where they tuck in close on the front. What is everyone using, or is everyone cutting their own and welding studs? I was looking at http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-f...able-1969.html. I also really like the Marquez one http://marquezdesign.com/store/new-a...nt-bumper.html and will spend the money if this isn't look isn't easily obtainable with other bumpers. As far as the enduras, has anyone found a good reproduction one with correct brackets? I've taken note of the brackets people say to use from yearone, but haven't gotten a good answer on quality.

For the rear, I like the anvil bumper (I'd just get fiberglass) http://anvilauto.com/products/camaro...ar-bumper.html. It looks like people are cutting the middle otherwise and sucking the sides in. I just don't like how wide the factory ones seem to sit and wrap around.

I will admit, I am not a huge fabricator and maybe unsure about cutting a bumper in half. If it is straight forward, I will try whatever though.

Again, sorry for another of the same thread, but if someone could help out with their suggestions I would appreciate it!
      Attached Images Attached Images  

I did some on a '66 nova.....didn't cut them in the center, cut the ends off in front where they were mostly straight & took 1/2" or so out on each side....had to re-profile the inner edge etc. I welded bolts to the back, used too much heat & really warped them.....spent more time straightening them than narrowing.... these were powercoated so no room for bondo....can't find any pix but you get the idea....like everything else, I had too much time in them...
      I am going to do some on my '68 when I get that far.....good luck

Generally if you cut out the center of a bumper rather than ends, you have to relocate bracket holes to match. I've done both ways on different bumpers.

You don't need to be as careful as with thin sheet metal welding, but you do still need to do just a little at a time in an area.

FYI there is high temp epoxy for filler before powdercoating.

I used an aluminum '69 rear bumper on my '67. Check out my build thread, post #56 and you can see how I did mine. Might help give you some ideas. Good luck.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...hlight=therapy
      Dave

1972 Nova
      1967 RS/SS Camaro - current project

ive got a brand new bnib aluminum rear bumper for a 69 if interested.
      69 Camaro
      03 z06
      90 mustang coupe

Quote Originally Posted by hifi875 View Post
      ive got a brand new bnib aluminum rear bumper for a 69 if interested.
      Do you still have the bumper? Your in box is full.
      A day late and a dollar short!

I have been searching and reading the best way to actually recess the panels

Hey folks... Still building mine and I have been doing some research on how to actually recess the panels other than metal manipulation. Does anyone have any templates to follow Share the knowledge..... the notches look awesome !!

If u cant use filler use lead free solder

1969 frost green camaro
      LS3
      Speedtech pro touring front subframe
      ridetech rear 4-link
      moser 12 bolt eaton tru trac 3.73

Rear bumper on 69 doesnt have to wrap around. If you're doing bumper mods why not contour the end to match body line and skip the wrap. Tuck it tight, smooth it out.

1970 camaro and 1970 cuda both have great looking rear bumpers that dont wrap around the quarter, could be integrated into 69 rear. Either one would require bumper and body mods. Hmmmm.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com