Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      I'll throw out some thoughts one of my buddies had(he just sold and LS powered Chevelle)
      "How many Chevy TPI motors did you used to see? How many now? They were the LS motor of the 80s. Hard to go wrong with the motor that came in the car and opens up more potential buyers-the ones that want a tweaked motor but factory appearance"

1978 Black Trans Am 455 Edelbrock heads [email protected] through mufflers on pump gas
      1981 Trans Am 400 stock type motor
      79 Camaro getting a 500" 695 hp IA2 Pontiac motor
      1965 GTO project car
      470ci/Chevy dual quad 409 604 HP 64 Impala SS project
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Skip Fix View Post
      I'll throw out some thoughts one of my buddies had(he just sold and LS powered Chevelle)
      "How many Chevy TPI motors did you used to see? How many now? They were the LS motor of the 80s. Hard to go wrong with the motor that came in the car and opens up more potential buyers-the ones that want a tweaked motor but factory appearance"
      Good point, you don't really see them much anymore. They are great motors (I owned an L98 TPI powered 1990 Iroc) but their weakness has always been them TPI intake being a big hp restriction.
      Brian
      -1972 Nova
      -1968 Camaro
      -1990 Iroc Camaro

I'm using the TPIS Mini Ram with the 1250 CFM Monoblade Throttlebody on my all aluminum SBC 427 CI. The throttlebody and mini ram setup will handle over 600 HP with no problem.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

I run a 383 TPI with a T56 in my Formula. Runs great, dead reliable, 20+ mpg hwy @ 80 mph, probly about 400 hp. A little down on power compared to the average built LS, but if I weren't so lazy I would install the FAST setup I have in the garage and it would probably come close.

In the end it came down to time and budget -- instead of buying swap headers, mounts, PCM etc I just used what I had. And I got it together in one winter -- never would have pulled it off with an LS swap.
      70 GTO - Alum 5.3/4L80e, 7875
      17 GT350

An old school SBC with good heads and parts can still be a performer especially with an aluminum block!
      1978 Black Trans Am 455 Edelbrock heads [email protected] through mufflers on pump gas
      1981 Trans Am 400 stock type motor
      79 Camaro getting a 500" 695 hp IA2 Pontiac motor
      1965 GTO project car
      470ci/Chevy dual quad 409 604 HP 64 Impala SS project
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

Who the frick uses an aluminum sbc block?

Quote Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
      Who the frick uses an aluminum sbc block?
      I am. Crank horsepower 630/torque 505 at 6600 and peak torque 574 at 5400.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Let me re-phrase - Who the frick needs to spend 5K on an aftermarket aluminum block for a street engine?

I'm keeping my SBC. And personally, I think the SBC is a better looking engine than the LS.

Don't get me wrong, the LS engines can also be great performers(see my sig). But they aren't the end-all answer for everybody.
      Roger

1967 Camaro, ZZ3/M20, work in progress.
      1957 F100, 4 wheel independent, 4 wheel disc, 32V 4.6, collecting parts.
      2001 Silverado, 11.59at 113 MagnaCharged L33.

Quote Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
      Let me re-phrase - Who the frick needs to spend 5K on an aftermarket aluminum block for a street engine?
      You're going to spend it somewhere. I elected to put that kind of money in reliability rather than the cost of the conversion. I wanted a reliable block that will withstand the abuse of spinning the motor over 6 grand. I heard that the LS engines do not have the longevity as a high revving engine like a Dart SBC all aluminum block.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

ZZ383 TCI 350 w/ gear vendors and loving it. Have a Holley EFI on the shelf just waiting to buy a EFI tank and we will be switching over from a Holley Ultra Street Avenger 770.

Old school 383 SBC, naturally aspirated. I still like them after all these years, although, I would like to maybe someday put FI on it.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

+1 for sbc. 427 stroker with fitech fuel injection = best of both worlds IMO. TKO600 for the cruise nights.

I also have a TKO600 behind my all aluminum SBC 427. I like the tranny and it is 65 pounds lighter than the OEM 6 speed
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Country Flag: Canada
      What's a SBC lol
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

I have a foot in both worlds.
      I have a 400 SB in my Nova and my Vega will be getting an all aluminum 5.3, hopefully
      in the next year and a half.
      The 400 is kind of a bottom of the barrel build. It still has the original rotating assembly,
      a used hydraulic flat tappet cam (236 @ .050), and an ancient POS Holley ProJection4
      "unit". If there was ever a computer with a mental defect, this is it . The heads
      are '91 'Vette aluminum with springs to match the cam and I haven't a clue as to what
      the compression ratio is . The transmission is a $300.00 (Canadian dollars) T10,
      and yes, it has issues. Best of all I am having the time of my life beating the crap out
      of it. The sooner something breaks the sooner I get to upgrade something.

Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

Country Flag: Norway
      All new Dart SHP 400 SBC waiting for final batches of parts here. It has a forged bottom end, custom Jones hydraulic roller cam, Morel lifters, AFR 210 heads. With todays great gaskets the common oil leaks of the old sbc should be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by kimosabi View Post
      All new Dart SHP 400 SBC waiting for final batches of parts here. It has a forged bottom end, custom Jones hydraulic roller cam, Morel lifters, AFR 210 heads. With todays great gaskets the common oil leaks of the old sbc should be gone.

Great set up! mines almost the exact same. I recently removed the Holley dp for a fitech fuel injection - really helped the motor come alive

Country Flag: Norway
      Thanks, I have the Edelbrock 7104 intake coming in so I'll see how I can make it run with my tweaked Qjet on top with a little AFR gauge "cheating". I like being a little old school. lol

Right now chomping at the bits for a set of custom length rockers so I can FINALLY determine the pushrod lengths. Standard Harland rockers were too long for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by kimosabi View Post

Hey! Yours is the exact opposite of mine. LOL
      Yes, the newer gaskets are great. My POS doesn't leak a drop of anything. Now the transmission.........

Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com