Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

5th gen dash in 1st gen camaro

So I know it has been done, I know some people like it, I know some people don't.
      And I decided since I'm installing 5th gen seats and centre console into my Camaro, I was crazy to turn down a great deal on a 5th gen dash skin on eBay.

I've been researching the idea for a while, and from the top end builds I've found online, it was obvious they custom made their dash's to look 5th gen, however a couple people have used a dash straight from a 5th gen, (see pics below to compare).
      The problem is noone has shared advice on how they installed them and so now I'm swinging in the dark but surprisingly, it's fitting really well.
      From the little details I have found, people were skeptical the dimensions would be off, not the width but the heights, steering wheel height etc, however it's very refreshing just how similar the dimesnions are between the two.
      I am lucky because I have a new original 68 dash not installed in my car and I am going to try and fit the 5th gen dash directly to the factory dash, as opposed to fitting the dash to the body. To help compare the two and all I've done thus far is remove all the hard plastic vents and piping glued under the 5th gen dash, then cut about 2 inches off the back of the dash, and it slots over the top very, very well..

Keep in mind, I plan to use an LS3 and 6L80 out of a 5th gen also and therefore I'm hoping to get all 5th gen gauges to work.
      I'm going to take pictures along the way but at this point in time I'm just scanning to see if anyone here has any experience doing this instal or has any advice that could save a headache later.

james

Hi James, Check out project, Double trouble mild and wild and hard and soft.
      here's the page with the dash installed.https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/107082-Project-quot-Double-Trouble-quot-Wild-and-Mild-or-Hard-and-Soft/page3
      But he is using the firewall from the 5th gen.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

I just read that build and I have no idea how I have managed to miss it all this time, considering how much time I spend on this forum.
      Thanks a lot, a wealth of knowledge within those pages. I have a lot of work ahead of me

5th gen dash in 1st gen camaro

A lot of similarities between the new and old dash

Oh it looks familiar! LOL shoot me a PM with what parts you are missing. I'm I'm in N. VA and have an extra dash support bar for sure and maybe some other parts your missing if you can't source them reasonably..Nice progress James.

any updates on this? im considering the same myself.

Quote Originally Posted by ricoshay View Post
      any updates on this? im considering the same myself.
      I forgot I started this thread, after THE FIRST COMMENT pointing me in the right direction :P, I have pursued this, I haven't made as much progress as I would have liked in the timeframe but attention has only been put elsewhere, I recommend reading the build thread linked in post #2 for a detailed explanation, and also my build thread if you plan to buy the parts individually rather than sourcing a wrecked car.

Parts worked out much cheaper than expected, but labour is extensive.
      I'll update this thread when I have better material and pictures

there is a blue Camaro with the horse shifter in it where can I get this for mine we are using a 5th gen console but we have a 700r4 od that we are using. please help

I know this is a reaaaally old thread but... how did it all turn out?

Quite good,
      I'm happy with it at this point, still incomplete though.

Pretty cool. Seems to fit well enough
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com