Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      CalClub Practice day 5/14
      I'm definitely digging going to these SCCA practice days. I get a good number of laps (usually at least 12 laps) and so far folks have been super friendly, so I've gotten some great ride along instruction and gotten to ride in some pretty sweet cars too.

Michael and I have hit a few of these events together now.

The below pic sequence is pretty cool. I had someone riding along multiple laps with me and they kept yelling at me for lifting at a kink in what was otherwise a straight away. This is the result of not lifting. Car whipped around faster than I knew what to do with!
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

San Diego SCCA autocross 5/15

I believe this was a record turnout for CAMT or at least a record turn out for a CAM event that I've attended. We had 16 drivers in CAMT which is awesome for a Sunday SCCA championship day! Despite the course being on the SE lot it was actually a lot of fun.

With 16 drivers plus family and friends we had plenty of bench racing and good eats happening in the pits.

This is the closest finish I've ever had. Richard, gave me a run for my money! We also got to do fun runs at this event. I did 6 more runs for $10 and dropped another second off my best time.

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

And another San Diego SCCA autocross yesterday, 6/5

We had another great turn out with 11 drivers yesterday. The course was very tight and favored grip and nimbleness far more than horsepower! Maybe due to the fact that there was a Bernie Sanders rally happening at the stadium that day we were limited to a smaller area than normal. We were also treated to rally goers just walking across the middle of the course...

CAMT cars everywhere in the hot pits!

With my 6 thousandths of a second win the event before I was watching Richard closely this event. I was the 2nd one up so after finishing my fourth and final run I got to watch the other 9 CAMT drivers try to take out my best 56.2 time. Richard was struggling to get a clean run but I saw him come across the lights on his last run with a 55.7 and I felt the taste of defeat! Sadly, the run was a DNF.

Kevin with his big Chevelle swapped to new tires and lower control arms and was back at this event with a vengeance. His last run was his best and jumped him into 2nd overall, which is the best finish I've seen him do at an event! Bry also hit the podium at this event.

This weekend (6/11-12) is the next SCCA socal autocross and it is at El Toro! El Toro is one of the funnest places to autocross in socal!

Another great SCCA outing this past weekend with Cal Club. Man I love running at El Toro. Since I drive about 90 miles to get to the San Diego events and 60+ miles to get to the Fontana events it sure is nice having an event less than 20 miles away but even better are the big and fast courses they can make at El Toro. There aren't other places in SoCal that allow these types of courses.

I went to the practice day on Saturday and the Championship day on Sunday. Sunday was originally going to have 6 drivers in 5 cars in CAMT but Efrain discovered a wiring harness gremlin that morning and Evan's crew chief and partner in crime had a family issue crop up so they both weren't able to run. Efrain came out and got to see some of the action though. Overall we had a good mix of all three classes of CAM cars with a total of 13 drivers.

A buddy brought his Daytona replica and ran CAMS with it for his first ever autocross. He has wheel to wheel racing experience on the road course so it was fun seeing his first time on the autocross course.

The old school muscle at the event.

Andrew with the 69 Camaro was trying his first SCCA course ever. He had previously done GoodGuys and Hotchkis. My wife also drove for only her second time ever autocrossing.

Some of the CAMC cars

And the times for the three CAM classes.

The CAMT and CAMS crew just couldn't hang with the CAMC guys. Despite a first place finish in CAMT I couldn't help but feel I wa off pace compared to where I usually run against the CalClub CAMC cars. My wife was pretty happy to be in the same realm of times as the novice CAMT and CAMS drivers. Andrew had a 68 second run per the digital clock on his 3rd run but the announcers claimed he needed to do a rerun which he didn't hear and so he didn't get an official 3rd timed run.

I didn't get a pic of his vette but Tom drove up from San Diego and was even nice enough to let Richard codrive when Richard's ignition switch in his 68 Vette went out. I haven't heard how Tom feels about Richard beating him in his own car though... :warning:

The next Cal Club event is 7/10 and the next SDR event is 6/26!

Quote Originally Posted by Chad-1stGen View Post
      How come more than 6 of us were able to participate with CalClub this year with no points card? I attended 4 events with CalClub this year with no points card. It also doesn't make sense to say a points card is required when they have the whole 6xx number policy for those without a points card.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point about a points card being required?
      Old question, but I'll answer for clarity. Points card gives you rights to permanent number and allows you to earn points towards the year-long class competition. It is not required to participate in an event.

I should add, it has been nice seeing the contingent show up and running the events. Beautiful cars. I sold my 68 Barracuda before there was really a place to play with it.

Quote Originally Posted by kjchristopher View Post
      Old question, but I'll answer for clarity. Points card gives you rights to permanent number and allows you to earn points towards the year-long class competition. It is not required to participate in an event.

I should add, it has been nice seeing the contingent show up and running the events. Beautiful cars. I sold my 68 Barracuda before there was really a place to play with it.
      Thanks for clarify the points card question KJ. Also, thanks for all the work you do for CalClub so us CAM guys can come out and play!

Catching up on recent events.

7/10/16 CalClub El Toro & SDR Qualcomm events recap

For Sunday 7/10/16, I ran what I've been calling an Autocross Double Header. I had so much fun at the practice event the Saturday before that when I got home Saturday evening I decided to try and compete in both the CalClub event at El Toro and then drive to San Diego and compete at the SDR event at Qualcomm.

It worked! To make it happen CalClub let me move my work group and SCAT in SDR let me check 45 minutes after they closed and my run group was lined up in grid already.

Stats for the day:
      210 - miles driven
      8 - auto cross laps driven
      7 - miles of autocross driven
      2 - cones hit
      2nd - place in all of CAM out of 12 at El Toro
      1st - place in CAMT out of 13 at Qualcomm

Here is video of my best lap from each event back to back.

- - - Updated - - -

7/31/16 recap

For overall CAM this is one of the better turnouts we have had at Cal Club and a nice mix of all three classes with 6 CAM-C drivers, 2 CAM-S drivers and 5 CAM-T drivers. The course was fun but was not favorable towards high HP cars as there just weren't any good spots to really put the pedal to the medal. It was a nicely flowing course but really required finesse on the throttle. This was also the weekend before COTA and my last chance to get some practice so I attended both the Saturday practice day and Sunday champ/points day.

It was great to have Ian S. drive his Mustang up from San Diego to run with us at El Toro and supporting the Cal Club CAMT class

CAMT cars in the pits.

CAM taking over grid!

Sadly Chad H. who owns the beautiful 69 Mustang in the above pic snapped a throttle cable early on so he wasn't fully able to enjoy the day.

CAM results for Sunday

I managed to get the win with 1st in CAMT but my heavily heat cycled Falken's were really struggling. I was way behind Greg and Chris in CAMC. Right after this event I swapped to my fresh Falken tires for driving to and completing in optima at COTA.

I didn't end up uploading video for this event as I was too busy getting ready for COTA as soon as the even ended.

8/21/16 CalClub El Toro recap

And this past weekend I attended another Saturday practice and Sunday champ day with CalClub at El Toro.

We had one of the best CAMT turnouts at CalClub of the year with 6 drivers showing up. It was great to see Arlo try his first SCCA event and course and he picked a great one to attend. This was the last CalClub event before the national solo championships in Lincoln Nebraska in September so the course was a national level course that flowed very very well and was a ton of fun.

Efrain, Kevin and I are becoming regulars at these events which is great and in addition to Arlo we had his friend Joe try it out and Richard bringing up his Mustang from San Diego.

Overall we had 10 CAM cars, 4 CAMC and 6 CAMT, which I believe might be the first time in a while that CAMT outnumbered CAMC in CalClub. I managed a first in CAMT and 2nd overall from all CAM cars. If I can get within about 2.5 seconds of the Brett's 99 Mustang aka Modzilla I'm doing pretty well. Especially since he had just recently upgraded to custom JRI shocks in preparation for Nationals.

Efrain got some payback on Kevin who beat him at the last event to take third place while Richard had a solid lock on second place.

Here is the video of my best run on this super fun course

We had the final Cal Club SCCA autocross of 2016 this past weekend. Cal Club autocross events are quickly becoming some of my favorite driving events to run the car in.

Overall we had 10 cars run CAM. 4 CAMC and 6 CAMT cars.

In the CAMT class we saw Kraig make his first Cal Club event and a tight race between second and fourth place. This was Danny's first event with his fender flares and fat 315 Rival S tires. He closed the gap nicely compared to past events.

The best part of my Sunday was placing do high in the PAX index. PAX is a handicap system that allows you to compare completely different cars to each other. I was the highest finishing v8 powered car and my first ever top 15 finish at Cal Club (out of 151 drivers that day).

I found out about Cal Club at the end of 2014 when I got my V3.0 build of the Camaro completed. Searching around on the 2014 results there was *nobody* running CAM. I did my first Cal Club event in the second half of 2015 and have been trying to spread the word on how fun these events are. I'm excited that for 2016 almost all of the monthly events had solid CAM participation. We also had several folks buy points cards and run for the season championship. Due to the historically low participation all three CAM classes are combined for season points using PAX. I ended up second behind the CAMC national champion. I'm hopeful that 2017 will see more people signing up points cards and running for the season championship in all CAM classes.

First event of 2017 is this weekend (1/15)! Forecast calls for sunny weather with highs in the mid 60's. 13 CAM cars are signed up already.

The following weekend will be the first event in San Diego too.

I posted two posts related to the first Cal Club event. An event specific recap here: https://www.scca.com/posts/1982662-r...ocross-of-2017

And here is a post about the rise of Cal Club CAM on my blog.

Below is an action recap:

The first autocross of 2017 with Cal Club is now in the books. This past Sunday we enjoyed the famous Southern California weather with a perfect mix of sun, temperature and wind. And with nearly 10% of all class competitors being CAM cars we also enjoyed (as once announcer put it) "the sound of America!"

AutoXandTrack has predicted that 2017 will see the rise of Cal Club CAM autocross.

Headed into Sunday 17 competitors had signed up and to battle in CAM. As Sunday dawned 15 of those competitors threw down on a fantastic and fun course from first time course designer Adam Tarnoff. CAM-T saw the largest turnout with 10 drivers followed by CAM-C with 5 drivers.

With a number of newer Cal Club drivers and one coming from as far away as Utah expectations were high for a fun and exciting event. And in the case of that Utah driver, aka Jordan Priestley of JDP Motorsports, he came all this way and his bad to the bone 2016 Camaro developed a mechanical issue. This proved to have a big impact on the competition as Michael Cuthbertson offered a codrive seat in his beautiful blue 1968 Camaro.

The CAM-T Action Recap

CAM-T was home not only to some awesome old school muscle cars bellowing out that sweet v8 music sound track but also to some incredibly competitive racing! Each time Chad Ryker came across the finish line he took first in CAM-T. Unfortunately for him, Jordan Priestley’s runs immediately followed and he reclaimed the lead. Each of the four runs saw Chad and Jordan swapping the lead for first place and battling hard with lap times dropping .3-.6 seconds each run. Jordan prevailed and took first place with a .198 second lead.

First place wasn't the only close racing in CAM-T. Michael Cuthbertson ended up solidly locking in 3rd but as he did his runs at the end of the heat the focus was on the next four competitors. It was hard to say who was going to end up in positions 3-6 as for a time less than 1 second separated these four compeitors and they kept switching ranks. The final standings had Tom Kamman and Efrain Diaz rounding out the top five spots.

As a neat aside, using the PAX index CAM-T cars made up 4 of the 5 fastest V8 powered cars in the whole Cal Club event.

The CAM-C Action Recap

Ranks and positions were also being swapped around in CAM-C. Four Mustangs squared off against a single Camaro with Kevin Largent taking the early lead in his 2008 Mustang. However, Don Gonzales shook off the "second place silver" moniker and came back with a vengeance to ultimately take first place. Don secured his lead by a little over one second lead over Kevin's second place finish.

And video from the event.

Next event is 2/19

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com