Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Seems simple enough!

I just don't know how well I can choose without physically holding and/or fitting the lug nut to my wheel in person, vs. ordering them online? Seems like something Summit would have, but you can't just browse through their selection at the store...it's all in the back and the employees bring the parts up to you after you've paid for them.
      Josh

1968 Firebird project thread - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...41#post1180941

Finally made it the point of installing the rear end and Hotchkis leaf springs. Without the gas tank, bumper, exhaust, lights and everything else, the rear is already lower than the front. Next step will be adjusting my solid body mounts to the drop setting so that the body can sit lower on the frame up front. I plan on switching to a shorter 275/40 17 tire to lower the car further once the funds are there.

Ordered a 5 line from Kore3 Industries this past week. Now I have to figure out the kind of hard line and matching fittings I'll need after this. These are actually really nice quality looking lines.

Another pic from when I lowered it.

It's funny how much we're on the same page at times! I was going to call Tobin and order some lines tomorrow! haha

Didn't you custom order them with the fittings you needed though? When I first placed my order for C5 front brackets, I was ready to get the braided lines too, but I didn't notice how many options there were for different lengths and fittings! So I had to hold off until I knew what to order...
      Josh

1968 Firebird project thread - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...41#post1180941

Quote Originally Posted by Josue View Post
      It's funny how much we're on the same page at times! I was going to call Tobin and order some lines tomorrow! haha

Didn't you custom order them with the fittings you needed though? When I first placed my order for C5 front brackets, I was ready to get the braided lines too, but I didn't notice how many options there were for different lengths and fittings! So I had to hold off until I knew what to order...
      I had a rather short call with them...not sure if it was Tobin that I spoke with. I just ordered the parts really quick and asked a couple questions. I'm in debate on how I want to go about my front brakes. I want to use the matching '98-'02 F-Body front brakes with the Kore3 hub but they don't offer a bracket for that caliper. Looks like I have to study my options more at this point.

Nice car by the way. I just glanced through your thread.

Thanks!

FWIW, the C5 setup has been a cake walk for me....really incredible how simple it is to add 13" disc brakes to a 48 year old vehicle! If these didn't work out for me, I would have tried the LS front brakes next though. I know they've been ran on first gen F-bodies too, can't imagine they haven't been done on 2nd gens over the years? Or did you mean that since Kore3 doesn't offer a bracket, that you're looking elsewhere now?
      Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Josue View Post
      Thanks!

FWIW, the C5 setup has been a cake walk for me....really incredible how simple it is to add 13" disc brakes to a 48 year old vehicle! If these didn't work out for me, I would have tried the LS front brakes next though. I know they've been ran on first gen F-bodies too, can't imagine they haven't been done on 2nd gens over the years? Or did you mean that since Kore3 doesn't offer a bracket, that you're looking elsewhere now?
      Kore3 doesn't offer an LS1 F-Body caliper bracket. Their hub will accept the brake disc though. I might just run their Vette stuff.

Custom Works has a hub kit that I'm considering. Not aluminum like the Kore3 piece but it's designed around that brake.

CPP kit looks really cool but has mixed internet review due to the Corvette hub.

Look forward to following your build. The rear stance looks good with the new leafs.

Quote Originally Posted by MTZ28 View Post
      Look forward to following your build. The rear stance looks good with the new leafs.
      Thanks, I'm trying to make some moves on it as best/fast as possible. I hate seeing projects that stay projects online.

After doing some testing and comparing the Hotchkis sway bars with Dave @ Pro-Touring F-Body, I ended up selling the Hotchkis parts and bought an adjustable PTFB high clearance sway bar. The Hotchkis sway bars were nice but after testing, it proved to be about as strong as a factory WS6 sway bar but created less inboard tire/wheel clearance. The Pro-Touring F-Body sway bar is stronger and also has some very nice end links. Here are some pictures showing the comparison between a Hotchkis sway bar and PTFB's adjustable high clearance sway bar. You can see how the PTFB bar is pitched in more to allow for more tire/wheel clearance and also has a highly adjustable end link with bearings.

Since I ended up switching to the Pro-Touring F-Body sway bar, I've been consulting with Dave(79T/A man)@Pro-Touring F-Body and John Paige (NOT A TA) to further develop my front suspension. We ended up deciding that I pull my whole subframe out and do a whole build at the Pro-Touring F-Body shop since I live nearby. Over the next few weeks I'll be posting some pictures and doing a write-up as it progresses. This is going to be as good as it gets for building a factory 2nd gen subframe!

The following modifications will be done to the subframe...
      -Pro-Touring F-Body coil-over install kit
      -Pro-Touring F-Body upper control arms
      -Pro-Touring F-Body lower control arms (built for coil-over only)
      -Pro-Touring F-Body adjustable sway bar
      -Pro-Touring F-Body sway bar brace
      -ViKing double-adjustable coil-over shocks
      -John Paige (NOT A TA) upper control arm adjustable supports
      -John Paige (NOT A TA) lower control arm frame reinforcement kit
      -John Paige (NOT A TA) body mount frame reinforcement kit
      -John Paige (NOT A TA) sway bar mount upgrade

I wish you would have done this sooner lol. I am doing all the exact same things to my car. I am also doing the 1LE brake upgrade with wilwood calipers. I will hopefully be completed with mine this weekend. Would have been nice to follow someone's write up in lieu of trying to figure it all out myself.

Quote Originally Posted by rreichert82 View Post
      I wish you would have done this sooner lol. I am doing all the exact same things to my car. I am also doing the 1LE brake upgrade with wilwood calipers. I will hopefully be completed with mine this weekend. Would have been nice to follow someone's write up in lieu of trying to figure it all out myself.
      That's cool, you should be happy once yours is done. I have been very fortunate recently to work with Dave@Pro-Touring F-Body and forum member John Paige (NOT A TA). Both are helping me out big time with moving this project forward. Part of my reason for posting my build online is just to show what can be done when you use the original drivetrain and apply updated parts. My car still has the original engine block, transmission and rear end. The original subframe and leaf spring suspension will be retained as well. I will try to make the subframe build as detailed as possible so others and yourself can see how certain modifications are completed.

Hope your build progresses well and fast rreichert82!

I've done most of the same with PTFB parts on my TA though I went DSE from the firewall back. Still waiting on a few parts from Dave but all the welding for the coilover conversion has long been done and just waiting on some new LCAs to go with the coilovers sitting on the shelf. I have original PTFB upper and lower tubular control arms but then decided to do the coilover conversion so Dave is swapping out the lowers. Using Willwood 6Ps Superlites and 14" rotors. I can send pics anytime or you can check the build thread at Lateral-g.

I may start one over here at some point but just haven't gotten around to it.
      http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=51065

Quote Originally Posted by Doug1 View Post
      I've done most of the same with PTFB parts on my TA though I went DSE from the firewall back. Still waiting on a few parts from Dave but all the welding for the coilover conversion has long been done and just waiting on some new LCAs to go with the coilovers sitting on the shelf. I have original PTFB upper and lower tubular control arms but then decided to do the coilover conversion so Dave is swapping out the lowers. Using Willwood 6Ps Superlites and 14" rotors. I can send pics anytime or you can check the build thread at Lateral-g.

I may start one over here at some point but just haven't gotten around to it.
      http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=51065

I've seen your build over on TAC a while back. That thing is put together very well! I'm trying to look for stuff on your build to give me ideas because it's a lot different than what I currently have going on. Curious, do you still have those d port shorty headers for sale that were on TAC? I sent a message a LONG time ago but got no response. I'm still up in the air as to what kind of exhaust I'm doing. Once I get back to working on the engine, I'll have to debate between modifying the iron heads myself, KRE D port or KRE high port...KRE high port would be most preferred at the end of the day.

I do have them. Funny. I need to sell a bunch of stuff like that just laying around but never seem to get around to them. I need to take care of my Pontiac brothers. I have another guy on Performance years wanting a breather I have no need for. Finding the time to ship stuff was always difficult but I now have a guy just up the street who will box it and ship it if I just drop it off. That solves a lot of time issues for me. If you still want them I'll get them out. I now have a pretty good idea of what I will need to keep for my build, which is almost nothing stock so I have several TA's worth of parts laying around.

I've done a bunch of TA now and have built enough Pontiac motors to have a decent idea of what to do first. I'd go aluminum head if you can. It's by far the best way to get the most bang for your buck from a Pontiac engine. The guys at Butler and SD have it down to a science. They can match one of their custom grind cams and get you 500+ HP in short order without breaking the bank. If I had one thing to splurge on in the entire car, that would be it.

I stealing this idea! There is a lot of room up under the dash that goes unused.

Quote Originally Posted by F-Body International View Post
      Got the coil hidden inside of the car this week. This ended turning out to be a nice install as well.

Mounted the coil to throttle bracket...

Installed on the inside. Here you can see where the spark plug wire is on the backside of the firewall...

MSD firewall feed (Part# 8211) used to feed the spark from inside of the car. This is a very short route for the ignition to travel...

View from top...

Absolutely no issue here with stealing the coil mounting idea. It's a simple but you have figure where to place the igntion box as well. A/C vs Non A/C bodies will change the method of attack. This was one of my favorite modifications but I'm actually debating on moving the ignition box and computer.

No. I wouldn't mount the ignition box or computer there either. Strictly like it for a coil location. I mounted my last MSD box in the glove box so I could get to it easily. I'll most likely go the same route with this car if I don't mount it under the console. I'll be making a relay panel that I need to mount somewhere and had planned on going on the console. We'll see since I probably need to build a custom console after raising the tunnel.

I will be installing a vintage air system but it still leave a lot more room than the factory system without all those big plastic ducts.

A small update today that I'm pretty excited about is finding a nice set of GTA rear seats that match the front seats. What's cool about these seats is that they can fold down, match the front seat design and overall interior color. From what I have found, '87 was the only year you could get GTA seats in carmine red and this happens to be the same color that was used in '79. Please disregard the severely faded carpet and beat up interior panels ;) These aren't bolt-in so I will have to fab up some mounts for the lower cushion mount, hinge and latch setup. The seat back also doesn't sit flush against the trunk block off panel so I will have to modify that some as well.

Here's the front again...

Nice score!

I've been thinking lately, about wanting to do something with my seats as well. I love the original look, but the old "spring" design is pretty crappy. haha
      Josh

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com