• Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

What did your paint job set you back?

How long did it take?
      Any pics?
      Any mods?
      How much?

I'm in mine for about 15k with labor and material. I went all high end ppg.

Hope that included bodywork and panels! Wow-I got a 69 camaro- fenders new quarters hang doors new hood paint n prep under 10 g

I'm in California. Everything is more.
      4/5 k in material went top of the line with everything
      1500 blasting should have been 1000.00 but the painter padded his wallet more with the stripping company
      8k body prep/paint/assembly

No panel replacement. Just a few patches.

Country Flag: UK
      mine cost me materials only as done it my self in Ferrari red . this was my first spray job I had done its now sanded down as now going black.

I'm just finishing up a complete job on a 65 Dodge Dart GT. The owner brought me a sandblasted shell, inside and out. I had to do inside the trunk, engine compartment, passenger compartment, underneath. All said and done, less than 15K including materials.

If I knew my f@&$) painter would take a year for a color change I would have done it myself too. Looks really nice

Friend of mine here in So Cal go two starting estimates for strip/sand, minor metal repair, primer, paint, clear and panel alignment and both were at 15k.

At least I'm on point with the Cali prices. Prices are just crazy now. The paint job cost snow balled.

Our bodyshop usually charges around 12-15k for a nice quality paint job, includes some panel gapping but we do the metal work.
      We have used many painters over the years, and all the $6-9k jobs don't look so good. I mean they're better than most paint jobs you see at the local cruise night, and that's fine for most people.
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

My Gto had a few small spots that needed metal repair. Around the tail lights, lower quarter, and rear wheel well. They are priming and blocking twice before sealer/bc/cc. They fixed the gaps and it looks good. It will be a dark burgundy mica. I looked down the panel after the last priming and I didn't see any light distortion. Looked super straight. I know the darker color may change that.
      Evercoat rage gold
      Ncp280 primer 4 gallons(says they lay it thick to block it better)?
      Kda3000 sealer
      Deltron dbc base
      D8188 glamour clear

Country Flag: Canada

19 weeks at shop rate.
      Documented 302 Z-28 car updated restoration underway.

Most paint jobs from our shop run high teens to low 20s .

To the shop owners. What time frame should someone expect for a color change including jams? How often and by how much time do projects run over estimate time? Inner fenders and rad support were powder coated. My guy has had me on the back burne mr forever and gets mad at me when I throw it in his face

Country Flag: Australia

Hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanprovost View Post
      To the shop owners. What time frame should someone expect for a color change including jams? How often and by how much time do projects run over estimate time? Inner fenders and rad support were powder coated. My guy has had me on the back burne mr forever and gets mad at me when I throw it in his face
      Hi. I don't know if you have noticed my build thread titled "the little girl". But in that I am always praising my friend that has been doing my body and paint. I pay but at a reduced rate, I have seen so many posts about problems with body shops and I am truly blessed. I know having friends do jobs for you can blow up in your face also. I'm not trying to be a smart***, I just wish you guy's had more positive experiences like I have. Hope everything works out for you mate. Cheers Trevor.

Really depends on the job at hand but a rule of thumb would be 3 months. I have heard these horror stories all most every day. Seems like the shops take in money up front and get in over there head with the job. At that point they just wait you out until you come get the car. We do things a bit different than most. We don't ask for money up front. We bill on a weekly basis and you will see for yourself how much we have worked on your project that week. may be 40 hrs may be 0. We bill for completed work. Not future work to be done.

I'm just one guy working out of my shop, and only work nights and weekends. The car I'm finishing up now has been in my shop 1 year in Oct,( it was an empty shell ) and will be leaving in about 2 weeks. I average about 40hrs per month, and bill on the first of the month for completed work. I pass along the material costs directly (no markup), and I only take in 1 car at a time. Here is a rendering of what it will look like.

Name:  Ken65dartgt_con2.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  650.3 KB

I too would say about 3 months average.
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Thank you guys. I wish I had found a better shop. Maybe next time.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com