Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Autopower Roll cage for first gen Camaro / Firebird

Hi All,

I am looking for pictures of anyone who has an AutoPower roll cage installed in their 67-69 Camaro / Firebird.

I am considering putting in a 6 point roll cage in my 67 Firebird. I would like to use Autopower's weld in kit.

After talking with them they indicated they run the rear struts along the rear seat and tie into the wheel wells as opposed to going down through the package tray and tying into the rear sub frame. All other kits I have seen tie into the rear subframe. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around how / why they use the wheel well and not the subframe.

Autopower comes highly recommended but I have concerns with how they run their rear strut.

If you have any pictures, I would love to see them.

Thanks

Kevin

ive seen many of these in porsches throughout the years with the wheel well mounting points. While i cant say i agree that this is optimal, i can say its in order to keep from cutting things up and fit the bar within the factory space. Never heard of this being an issue, but mine will be to the frame. Try www.hanksvillehotrods.com not sure if they do firebirds but everything i have bought was top notch
      "Racing is life. Everything else is just, waiting"

I would consult with a SCCA tech inspector and get his/her opinion if that would be safe and legal. And I don't mean a local autocross tech inspector, I mean a licensed safety tech inspector at a SCCA regional or Majors road race event. You can also ascertain who in your area is traveling safety tech inspector and give him/her call. You need to be very careful with the roll bar configuration you end up using. If you use the wrong configuration your safety may be more in jeopardy than without a roll bar.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Anyone use one of the Autopower "race" rollbars? I'm considering using one for a little more safety. Using the wheelwells is how the factory roof structure is supported, so it would seem like a strong mounting point with some reinforcement. Main hoop is supported from the floor/rockets and I would think that would take the majority of the load anyway. Any thoughts?

Talk to Ron Sutton, his cage is fair priced and he's BIG on safety. Link below

http://www.ronsuttonracetechnology.c...alog/?page=258
      Ahmad B.

Quote Originally Posted by Build-It-Break-It View Post
      Talk to Ron Sutton, his cage is fair priced and he's BIG on safety. Link below

http://www.ronsuttonracetechnology.c...alog/?page=258
      That's a good price!
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Thanks, but not looking for a weld in at this point since my car is 90% street. Also I would have to farm out the TIG welding and find a shop near me that could do it. Just looking for feedback on the Autopower bolt in rollbar, or any other "legit" bolt in rollbar.

Here's a link to what might be the roll bar your interested in. If your looking for safety a Bolt in roll bar wouldn't be the answer. Depending on what event your doing and speeds you'll hit they might not even be allowed. I don't feel they're safe and to test the safety when they're needed isn't the time to hope it holds up.

The mounting point plates are also way too small.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/thre...eriences.6587/
      Ahmad B.

I don't see the bolts as being the weak link, it is the mounting plate. That would need to be strong enough weather it is bolt in or weld in. In that picture of the Mustang it was clearly the mounting points that were the issue.

I don't see why a rollbar would NEED to be welded to be strong. You don't weld connecting rods together, and those are some of the most stressed components of your car!!

Not trying to argue with you, at the end of the day it's your car and safety in question . I never said the bolts would be the weak link. I said the mounting points are way too small on the Autopower bolt in roll bar. The roll bar would be strong up until you apply a load into it that it wasn't built for.

Comparing a connecting rod to a roll cage are two different animals. Apple's too pineapples comparison.

Your car tho, just trying to help.
      Ahmad B.

I appreciate the input, I should have mentioned "bolt in" in my response since the OP was looking for a "weld in".

The safest thing would be a full 1000 point chromoly cage with fixed back seats, racing harnesses, HANS, fire suppression system, airbags, ABS, etc... and then just keep in the garage to ensure you never wreck

I'm not looking for "all or nothing" - just want to make my car safer than stock. Not at the point that I want to weld in a full cage. So looking for input from anyone who has used an autopower bolt in rollbar. (Some of their bolt in stuff is listed as SCCA and NASA legal) Bottom line is: will this make my car safer than it is now? I certainly do not want a "show" bar that is just along for the ride- or worse - dangerous in a collision.

My buddy owns Coffey Fab and Race Prep in Nashville TN. While quite a drive... he does top notch work and is building my '69 Chevelle. He did a full chromoly cage in mine.

He could do a chromoly setup for probably a lot cheaper than you think if weight is a concern.
      69 Chevelle 1000hp turbo LS, T56 Mag, JRi coilovers, Watts/torque arm 9", 14" Wilwoods, Recaro CTSv seats, cromo cage, a/c, p/s, built by Coffey Fab Nashville, TN.
      93 RX-7 1200hp turbo LS9, T56 Mag, 8.8", 9.3@163mph + 197mph 1/2 mile

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com