Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

gmpp ls3 controller help

Well i just installed my harness today. Everything seems pretty simple. Now i have a few questions i hope you can all help me with. Im using autometer carbin fiber gauges. Attached is the instructions

http://paceperformance.com/attachment/117731-.pdf

1. It looks like the ecu controls the fan. How do i connect the two fans to the ecu? are relays already built in for this?

2. the harness connects to the engine coolant temp and oil pressure sensors. The vss connected into the t56 magnum also so how do i get the speedometer and rpm gauges to work? How do i hook them up to my gauges now? Gauges are autometer.

Any advice would be great.

Updated :

Summary of the thread.
      - Hook the vss output wire ( brown ) from the bulkhead to the speedometer signal wire
      - Hook the tach ( white ) from the bulkhead to the gauge tach signal wire
      - Hook the Oil pressure ( Tan/white ) from the bulkhead to the gauges signal wire
      - For the water temperature, there is a port located on the right side (passenger side) of the engine, in the cylinder head, past the last exhaust port (closest to the firewall / flywheel). There is a plug threaded in this location, that can be removed. This threaded in plug will either require an 8mm Allen Wrench, or a T52 Torx bit. There will be no noticeable difference in temperature reading when using the shorter sender. The 2277 adapter requires a 3/4" wrench, and the 2259 sender requires a 12mm wrench. Be careful to only tighten the adapter into the head until the crush washer is flattened. Do not over tighten.
      - for the voltmeter just hook up the ignition wire from the gauge harness to the gauge
      - Samoco unit should be used for the reverse lockout solenoid. You could run it off of the brake pedal but some people have stated some issues. Link to the samoco unit is http://www.wirebarn.com/T56--TR6060-...ule_p_470.html
      - The for fuel gauge run ......

It does not look like the relay(s) are there for the radiator fan(s). You will have to add them. On my E38 ECM it provides the grounds for the relay(s).

Places such as Speedhut makes gauges that read off the data buss. That is an easy way to go as the data lines come into the dash area for the diagnostic plug and are easy to pick up.

When I did it I installed another water temp sending unit in the passenger side head and used that for my water temp gauge. For the oil I drilled and tapped the bypass cover down by the oil filter and installed another oil pressure sending unit in that location. For the tach I did what is shown in your directions. For the speedometer I had use the data buss lines as I could not get the ECM VSS output to work for me.

I think i might have figured it out.

Oil pressure - Run a wire from the oil pressure gauge to the tan/white strip wire in the bulkhead connector which is position H. Run the ground from the gauge to the M bulkhead connector. I could actually just run one wire from the M bulkhead connector and use that for all of my grounds for my gauges correct?

tach - Run a wire from the gauge to the white wire on the bulkhead which is position C. would i need a ground for this?

Speedometer - Run a wire from the gauge to the brown wire on the bulkhead which is position D. Would i also need a ground for this?

fuel pump - Looks like theres a wire coming from the fuse box labeled fuel pump according to the instructions. I will check tomorrow. If that is the case then all i have to do is extend that wire to the fuel pump.

Fan power - Looks like the same place the fuel pump line is theres another wire that says cooling fan and is also fused/ relayed. If thats the case running one wire to the front of the car won't be that bad. Maybe ill run that wire into the american autowire fuse panel so i can route it under the fender on the drivers side. What else would be needed to make the fans run?

Now what about coolant temp? Doesn't make sense that the harness is connected to the coolant temp sensor in the side of the block yet theres no where in the bulkhead connector to run a wire to for the gauges.

Quote Originally Posted by icemanrd19 View Post
      I think i might have figured it out.

Oil pressure - Run a wire from the oil pressure gauge to the tan/white strip wire in the bulkhead connector which is position H. Run the ground from the gauge to the M bulkhead connector. I could actually just run one wire from the M bulkhead connector and use that for all of my grounds for my gauges correct?

tach - Run a wire from the gauge to the white wire on the bulkhead which is position C. would i need a ground for this?

Speedometer - Run a wire from the gauge to the brown wire on the bulkhead which is position D. Would i also need a ground for this?

fuel pump - Looks like theres a wire coming from the fuse box labeled fuel pump according to the instructions. I will check tomorrow. If that is the case then all i have to do is extend that wire to the fuel pump.

Fan power - Looks like the same place the fuel pump line is theres another wire that says cooling fan and is also fused/ relayed. If thats the case running one wire to the front of the car won't be that bad. Maybe ill run that wire into the american autowire fuse panel so i can route it under the fender on the drivers side. What else would be needed to make the fans run?

Now what about coolant temp? Doesn't make sense that the harness is connected to the coolant temp sensor in the side of the block yet theres no where in the bulkhead connector to run a wire to for the gauges.
      I just installed the same controller kit in my '71 Firebird. All what you mentioned is correct, the bulkhead connector is pretty much has all the necessary outputs from the engine sensors. Now for the coolant temp. gauge, you need to use the sensor which is matched to your gauge, thats why GM did not include that in the bulkhead outputs, there just too many types of temp. gauge senders (0-90 ohms, 240-33 ohms .. etc), so what you can do is so simple, just use the passenger side blocked coolant plug to insert an aftermarket sender matched to you gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by kamaro View Post
      I just installed the same controller kit in my '71 Firebird. All what you mentioned is correct, the bulkhead connector is pretty much has all the necessary outputs from the engine sensors. Now for the coolant temp. gauge, you need to use the sensor which is matched to your gauge, thats why GM did not include that in the bulkhead outputs, there just too many types of temp. gauge senders (0-90 ohms, 240-33 ohms .. etc), so what you can do is so simple, just use the passenger side blocked coolant plug to insert an aftermarket sender matched to you gauge.
      Yes but the ecu states it is required to have the 2 pin coolant temp sensor connected. we can't remove the factor coolant temp sensor from what I'm guessing

I think what he is saying is run two temp sensors, that's what I did, one on the passenger side head (stock) for the computer, add another on the passenger head for the gage.
      1968 Camaro RS/SS, LS7 with Katech mods, T56 Magnum, C6Z06 Brakes
      1968 Camaro RS Convertible LS3/480hp/4L70E
      1962 Corvette 327-340hp stock
      1963 Corvette Split Window Coupe
      1967 Corvette L79 convertible
      2006 Corvette Z06
      2011 Corvette GS convertible

So what about the dual fan setup? I have the ecu line which I'm guessing is a trigger. What else is needed

Depends if you want to run the fans variable speed or single then dual then you might have to do something else, but the fan wire on the GMPP control is all you should need to connect to the fans to make them run on/off. The temperature for the fans to run is tunable with HP tuners in the GM controller, but I think you are limited to a 210 min setting, unless it has changed from when I did my Ls7, I was hoping to have it turn on at 185 or 190. But it has turned out to be a non issue for me.
      1968 Camaro RS/SS, LS7 with Katech mods, T56 Magnum, C6Z06 Brakes
      1968 Camaro RS Convertible LS3/480hp/4L70E
      1962 Corvette 327-340hp stock
      1963 Corvette Split Window Coupe
      1967 Corvette L79 convertible
      2006 Corvette Z06
      2011 Corvette GS convertible

Reading through the instructions again I see the following.

"A cooling fan is controlled by the ECM. Control is set to turn on a 12 v
      fan at 97 Deg C (207 Deg F) coolant temperature. The fan control wire
      is fused/relayed and must be connected directly to your fan"

It appears that one relay is provided for the radiator fan which will turn on once the temperature reaches 207 Deg F. As stated you can adjust this somewhat with HP Tuners but we are talking only a couple of degrees. You do not want the fan turning off and on all the time.

yes it seems like the line coming from the fan relay is for only 1 fan. Im not sure if i can run two off of that one line since it will prob draw 60amps together

I am also running the GMPP harness. I am currently running one (have spal dual 11" fans with a be cool radiator) fan off of the PCM and the trinity switch (from VA) is controlling the other. I have been in FL, San Diego and Vegas during the past 2 years and have not had a cooling issue running them this way. Never gets above 225, even in stop and go traffic.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Can someone correct the title please?

So one wire comes out of the pcm and what did you do with it? can you explain your fan setup?

The single wire coming out the for fan control is for a discrete fan (or fans). It's supposed to go on the negative side of a relay (connect to 85, connect 86 and 30 to battery, and 87 to the fan). You can run as many fans as you want with a relay for each from that one wire.

If you want pwm control of the fan (rather than discrete control) you will need an aftermarket controller, or you will need another GM passenger car controller. See the thread below for more on the E67 and its fan control.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...fan-controller
      Last edited by parsonsj; 10-27-2015 at 05:47 PM.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

that seems like a ton of work. The entropy standalone controller is looking much better now.

thanks for all the help. Keep the info coming.

The reverse lockout solenoid on the t56 magnum hookup. I have the pigtail attached that has 2 wires coming out of it. Ive seen some people run it on the brake switch but samoco makes a nice little box for around $100. question is does it bother most of you hooking it up to the brake pedal or is this $100 worth it? On the GMPP harness would i just use the VSS signal out position D Brown wire or connect the samoco box to the two lines on the transmission?

Do you know which ECM came with your setup. I know with my E38 controller I can run two fans maybe 3.

some good info here

http://www.autometer.com/media/2650-1563.pdf

I think it came with a E67 ecm

GMPP uses e67 ecm. Does your GMPP harness not have a connection for a reverse lockout solenoid?
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
      Does your GMPP harness not have a connection for a reverse lockout solenoid?
      I've never seen one. You'll probably need to add it. Reports vary on if the GMPP E67 supports reverse lockout.

I've used the Samaco box. It works well. I think the brake pedal idea is weak... it means that the solenoid is engaged every single time you slow down, making reverse available at high speeds. The solenoid is supposed to be engaged only at speeds less than 3-5 mph.
      John Parsons

I know with my E38 controller I can run two fans maybe 3.
      The E38 and E67 can support as many fans as you want. In discrete mode, you can hook up the fan output to as many relays as you want, each connected to a fan. In pwm mode, you can use the PWM signal to control as many fan controllers as you want. Just wire them in parallel to the fan control signal.

In discrete mode the E38 and E67 actually have two fan triggers (only one is used by the GMPP harness), so they can be programmed to trigger at different temperatures.
      John Parsons

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com