Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Vin ver. Help!!

Country Flag: United States

Vin ver. Help!!

Hey guys,

Need some help or advice. I have put my project at a stand still now that I have ran into some paperwork issues. I have been fighting to transfer titles on my 55 truck. Went to AAA and they sent me to DMV to verify vin. I made my appointment went yesterday and the inspector refused to verify the truck because it had no motor or trans in it and also it wasn't allowed to be on a trailer because they can't climb up on it so had to be on a car dollly. Spoke to a man in line and he said he went through the same hassle, motor does not have to be hooked up or running. Which makes no sense to me. Does any one have insight on this California law. Was also brought to my attention if DMV finds out I'm putting an Ls motor and new chassis they can stick in current smog rules on me? Does anyone know about this? All of this has had me really stressed and don't want to continue with the build until I get it all straight.

Thanks
      Jacob
      Jacob B
      Chino Hills, Ca
      1955 Chevy 3100

Hi Jacob,

I had the great experience of both AAA and the DMV with some of my vehicles.

I used one of those registration shop places the last time I had to do any paperwork stuff and they were much much more accommodating. This particular place seems to cater to the odd-ball stuff, they had pictures of customers with desert toys and old classics all over the wall, so they know the drill.
      Brian

1972 C10 - 454/TH400 - Short bed conversion - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...1972-C10-SoCal
      1970 Nova - LS Swap - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...Cal?highlight=

A VIN verification can be done by any police officer in California. Contact your local CHP office and schedule an appointment. You tell them that the truck is a rolling chassis and there was no engine when you bought it and that you are in the process of restoring it. DMV people are idiots and do not know what they are doing. They shouldn't be in the VIN verification business. The law requires you to transfer the title with DMV after the sale and that is what you are doing.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Vin ver. Help!!

I wish it was that easy. I called chp and they told me the only way I can let them do my vin verification is if the DMV refers me to them. In the letter head from DMV it says only DMV can verify the vin, I called a private party company in corona and the man said the only way DMV will accept his verification is if in the letter head from DMV it states any qualified company can verify vin # which it doesn't. Seems like DMV only wants me to deal with them
      Jacob B
      Chino Hills, Ca
      1955 Chevy 3100

Use a title company and register/title the car in another state without inspections or all the other hassles.

Once you obtain the title from this process transfer ownership and the title to the State of California.

Mike

Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

www.musclecardeals.com

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com