Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

1970 Mustang Grabber Special

I rolled my project out of the storage lot in order to get started on re-building it. This car is semi "rust free" (ha-ha) since most of it isn't there! I have bought the sheet metal for the rear of the car, as a starting point. I am going to try Dynacorn products, as much as possible, to see if they fit any better than other ti-chen stampings. Out of the shipping boxes, the pannels look nice, just hope they don't require the all to common cut and beat to fit like some lower quality parts. I did pick up some Goodmark mini tubs for the fitment of some 335-30-18s. I could have used some stock size inners and made tubs, which might be alot cheeper, but it will be worth the information gained from installing them. I've got to finish taking this apart, and sorting what will be reused, which doesn't look like alot. The more I look at it, the more modifications I seem to come up with. I just don't want to get to carried away.
      I still have not decided on a suspension system to use, but I do want to install a 3-link rear, and an LSA front. I think I have contacted half a dozzen diffrent vendors, and all of them have excellent products, desicisions... desicisions... There is plenty of metal work to be done, which will keep me busy for a while. I stuck the rear tires under the car as a joke to send to my friends. It is sitting on jack stands, and looks like it is in 4WD mode. Just needs to sit about 12.5" lower.

Attached Images Attached Images        

Welcome! Ahhh...Another Carolina Mustang. Remember the more rust the lighter the car. This project brings Agent 47 Haringer to mind. Keep us posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJonrBWkbtE
      1957 Chevy Bel Air sold
      1972 Chevy Chevelle sold
      1974 Porsche 911 Carrera sold
      1968 Ford Mustang coupe

"That's a hell of a cam for the street son."
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhBtRMtpgzE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3873446/1968-ford-mustang

I have forgotten all about up dating my progress on this forum. I have been working on it, as much as I can, and have made a little progress. I have it down to the unibody, and have been working on the right rear of the car. I have the mini tub installed along with the outter wheel house, trunk floor, rear trunk support, front trunk floor, and the trap door pannel. I have been collecting more parts, since I have not posted in a while. I picked up a stainless steel gas tank, which helps put the back of the car together, and a one piece floor. I am working on fitting the quarter and repairing the B pillar, which of course has some rot in it.
      I was wondering about the Dynacorn pannels I am using when I started this thread, I LOVE them! I have installed alot of sheet metal in my time, and these are at the top of my list as far as repops go. They are worth every penny over the cost of the other Ti-Chen parts out there. If I were going to do this for some one else, I would highly recomend their product for fit, and finish. Plus, the parts would save the customer a lot of money with the time to install them (my two cents)
      Here are a couple of pics...
      Attached Images Attached Images          

Very slow to update along with a slow build. I have most of the metal work just about done, up to the fire wall. I have installed convertible inner rockers along with my one piece floor, all the metal in the rear of the car is all but complete. I am working on the interior metal, like seat risers, E-brake handle I stole out of a wrecked '93 GT Mustang, and measuring for the cage install. Along with a bunch of bracing in the cowl area, and all the other beef-ups, I'm hoping to get this chassis just a little bit stronger.

Some fun things I have done over the past year...

Inner rocker install

Name:  IMG_20130329_190847_zpsfd9a4eba.jpg
Views: 8559
Size:  72.7 KB

Just about everything Street or Track makes

Name:  IMG_20130417_175154_zpsd630c980.jpg
Views: 7641
Size:  82.8 KB

13" x 1.125" front rotors, 4 pot calipers, coil overs, tubular upper and lower front control arms Wats link, three link...

Floater 9" with disc brakes,

Name:  IMG_20130520_185200_zps7553d800.jpg
Views: 7376
Size:  65.8 KB

In order for all that suspension to work, I had to get some new hoops to help connect it to the tires

Name:  IMG_20130827_163903_zps356beb82.jpg
Views: 7336
Size:  68.6 KB

Formula 43, RAD 14's 18 x 9.5 front, 18 x 12 rear
      Last edited by latoracing; 02-04-2014 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Pictures

The mice had all kinds of fun with this car. The cowl had to be replaced, along with the lower A pillars, which were also junk. I added a piece of 1" x 1.5" x 0.120" tubing at the top of the firewall and installed some threaded inserts for my export brace to attach to.

Name:  IMG_20131104_185849_zpsc0bc2f2a.jpg
Views: 7429
Size:  229.4 KB

While I was at it, I also installed a bunch of 1" square 0.120" wall tube from the firewall tube, all the way up into the lower part of the A pillar. Along with several other tubes to connect to the rocker panels.

Name:  IMG_20131105_175539_zps35e25ca4.jpg
Views: 7398
Size:  226.4 KB

I will be installing a cage in this as soon as I finish up my seat riser modifications, but I had to have something to attach to the risers.

Name:  IMG_20140102_181507_zpsf372369f.jpg
Views: 7297
Size:  218.5 KB

The dash in all of it's crunchiness were reinstalled to help locate where the dash bar will be placed. It will help to have the cowl off for this part, then I get to finish it up once all those tubes are in place. I will attempt to do a little better at posting as the rest of this chassis is put together.

Country Flag: Denmark
      Wow, nice progress so far.. Cant wait to see how this project will end up.. Love these 69-70 mustangs and 71-73.. I am restoring an 73 mustang right now, which also will get a touch of pro touring style..

Actually I was thinking about installing the 3 link like yours in my mustang to.. Do you have any ideas about how this will fit in a 73 mustang, if you know something about these years? I dont think the difference of a 70 mustang and 73 mustang can be much when we talk suspension.. :-)

glad ur on here! lookin good so far!

1969 Mustang Coupe 392w Stroker

Quote Originally Posted by rwcstang View Post
      glad ur on here! lookin good so far!
      Good to see another familiar "face". Your car is coming along quite well. I might get there one day...

Quote Originally Posted by latoracing View Post
      Good to see another familiar "face". Your car is coming along quite well. I might get there one day...
      Looking good. I espcially like what you have done with the inner rockers.
      Zach

1970 Mach 1 build - Half-Breed (pro-touring.com)

Very nice!
      70 Cougar
      Aces Kill shot efi
      Turbocharged 5.0 430hp 488tq
      Tremec 3550
      13" Cobra brakes
      Unisteer Manual rack

Got a little more done. I finally finished up the installation of my chopped up seat risers and center beef-up. I also installed some 5th seat belt attachment anchors while I was at it.

Name:  IMG_20140224_190520_zpsa81f0310.jpg
Views: 7137
Size:  193.9 KB

I wanted to buy a hydraulic bender to build my cage with, but opted for a JD2 model 32 bender in manual mode for now. If I don't use it a bunch, it is not so bad, just takes a little longer to make bends. I started with the main hoop the other day. The material is 1.75" x .120" wall DOM tube, bent with a 5.5 CLR die.

Name:  IMG_20140225_190337_zpsa1265755.jpg
Views: 6936
Size:  177.9 KB

After a bunch of measuring, and a little trimming, the main hoop fits nice and tight.

Name:  IMG_20140225_201100_zps580ea12f.jpg
Views: 6988
Size:  192.5 KB

I all most tacked it in place before I remembered I needed to make some base plates. With the hoop located on top of the inner rockers, there isn't a bunch of room for huge plates, so I went vertical up the B pillar. This area will also be welded to the hoop, once it is all ready to fry in place. I need to weld these in, and get the hoop tacked in place, and bend the halo bar.

Name:  IMG_20140301_183722_zps1ca1ee4a.jpg
Views: 6813
Size:  200.0 KB

More tube bending to come...

Looks awesome!

73 Maverick Grabber Project

My never ending project:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...hlight=grabber

I have been a little busy with the cage parts after work the past week. I welded in the main hoop base plates and tacked in the hoop for now.

Name:  IMG_20140311_193238_zps73d25828.jpg
Views: 6802
Size:  205.7 KB

Once that was done, I made a template for my halo bar and got it bent and notched. I used a ratchet strap along with an old boat motor support to get it in place for now. It came out fitting like I had envisioned, to where you can't see it from outside of the car, and will be easier to brace the roof structure to the cage (at a later point)

Name:  IMG_20140312_200156_zpse370f0d0.jpg
Views: 6724
Size:  152.6 KB

I bent up the driver's side A pillar bar, with some interesting methods for bending tubing at home, and got it fit, notched and trimmed. Once again, I wanted a super tight fit to the car, which I was able to achieve.

Name:  IMG_20140314_192006_zpsfc0de70e.jpg
Views: 6619
Size:  196.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20140314_202809_zps94ca0447.jpg
Views: 6711
Size:  213.1 KB

Love 69-70 mustangs. The extra effort in making the cage tight makes a big difference.
      ~Lee

Bent the passenger side bar, trimmed, notched and fitted it to the car. I wanted to see how it was going to look after the cowl was in place, so I stuck the lower part in to check for fit. So far, so good

Name:  IMG_20140315_181752.jpg
Views: 6669
Size:  150.8 KB

I thought about making the dash bar, but it is just a straight piece of tubing, notched on both ends, so I removed everything except for the main hoop. I want to install a X brace in the halo bar, so the cardboard template got another use. I laid out where I wanted the bars to land, and also attempted to continue with the tight fitting cage theme. I have a little over 3" from the bottom of the halo bar to the roof in the front areas, so I bent some tube at 15 degrees and trimmed / coped the tube to be 3" at the highest point. I have yet to finish the other end of the tube, but will be working on it this week.

Name:  IMG_20140315_201047.jpg
Views: 6563
Size:  151.9 KB

Nice work!! I like the way the cage is coming out.. Nice tight fit.. Going to be hard to get the liner in and get the top side painted but it is still turning out really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Rod Technologies View Post
      Nice work!! I like the way the cage is coming out.. Nice tight fit.. Going to be hard to get the liner in and get the top side painted but it is still turning out really nice.
      Gona do some creative headliner "panels" between the bars, but there will be no way a stock, or aftermarket headliner will be going in. The halo bar and main hoop are touching the roof structure in numerous places. Plus, I will be making sheet metal tie-ins from the car to the cage all most all the way around, or at least I think I am at this point. I talked to my painter yesterday, and he wants to spray the top of the cage when I "lay it down" to weld the top, cause it probably will not get paint on it after it is in the car otherwise. I just have to make sure all the welds are complete on those joints so I don't burn off new primer / paint. This poor thing is going on a rotisserie so all the above issues might be handled a little easier inverted. Can't wait to find out.

Sounds like a good plan to me..

Cage is looking good. I really like the way you added the harness mount in the center of the seat pan. I might have to borrow that idea.
      Zach

1970 Mach 1 build - Half-Breed (pro-touring.com)

Wow. Bending tube by hand. That brings back memories! Nice work!
      My build thread. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ghlight=falcon

If it aint broke, give it time. That sucker will break sooner or later.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com