Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Reputable Fair Machine Shop in SoCal/LA area

I*don't know if this is the correct form or not to be asking this question so I am looking for a machine shop in the Southern California Los Angeles area who can help with my 69 camaro under the hood. I have a blown head and would like to replace with a nice pair of aluminum heads along with boring out pistons if need be or whatever else needs to be done. I'm not the most technically informed individual when it comes to these cars, I just love them. I've had my 69 Camaro for quite some time and it's either been this or that and I've only had it on the road for max 2 weeks in the last 5 years, and it's all complete for the most part. If there's anyone out there who could recommend me to a machine shop who could help me out and not bend me over me , who does quality work, is organized,,,, if so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I have about $4-$5,000 to spend to trick out the engine, put 450hp+, and make it look very nice to say the least. Thanks Chase

Country Flag: United States
      A little more info would help. What are your goals/use for the car? Is this a numbers matching car? What have been the "this or that's" that have kept the car off the road? With the information you posted, your going to get lots and lots of suggestions/opinions.

Here are a few of my first thoughts:

1) Buy a crate motor from Jegs and drop it in.
      2) With a $5k budget, do an LS swap
      Brian

1972 C10 - 454/TH400 - Short bed conversion - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...1972-C10-SoCal
      1970 Nova - LS Swap - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...Cal?highlight=

Not sure about 450hp... but $5k might get you around a 420hp Blueprint crate engine from jegs,then some new miscellaneous items for the install,like a water pump, engine mounts, header gaskets,fluids etc....

Now labor might be 2 or 3 days worth depending on how thorough and honest the shop is, and fixing small issues like electrical connections.. and all the other little items that need attention when you remove an engine that hasn't been out in decades.
      Shop rates around $80~100hr maybe ?

Just trying to get an idea how far your budget might go if you're looking at a 450hp engine Plus labor to remove and install it.
      $5000 goes quick.

Just swap parts for an decent LS install can get fairly costly,not including the engine.

It may be time to take a little more interest in the hobby and save a bunch of $$$ by purchasing a crate engine and trying the swap yourself.
      Just a thought.

I've had good experiences with Yo at Contemporary Auto Machine in Huntington Beach.

I've also gone to Valley Engine and Machine which I would not recommend.
      Brett H.

1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
      1991 Mazda Miata
      2005 Ford Mustang GT

1987 Ford Mustang GT - Sold 06-29-2014
      1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera - RIP 9-17-2011
      1992 Chevrolet Corvette - Sold 10-12-2017

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com