Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      I love your Javelin and what you're doing to improve the AMC suspension shortcomings. Count me in for a set of your A arms. I just picked up a 68 AMX to make a track/ street car out of and suspension improvements is high on the list. Can you do some rough measurements of the hood blister or some closer shots of it?

Thank you. It's so much more fun to drive now!

I'll shoot you a PM with some more info, I'm working out all the details to be able to sell this in kit form.
      It's basically three parts; an upper mount that bolts to the inner fender area, lower mount that bolts onto the stock lower control arm, and of course the upper control arm.
      You will also need a set of 1970 and up AMC steering knuckles. You can pick up a set in a junk yard, or I have some NOS sets available as well.
      You can use any number of off the shelf coil-overs with a 12-inch 400 lb spring.

It can be bolt-in, or also can be welded in. I have a couple guys I'm making a kit for now for initial testing and installation. I've been driving the heck out of the car for a few weeks to test the suspension, and some different alignment specs. I can't wait for others to try it out. Gotta' be careful on those Damn speed humps now.

I'll get you a few pics of the hood, if you google 1969 Kaplan Javelin you can see a few on the original TA car as well.

Name:  before-After3.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  88.7 KB
      I threw together a before and after picture. I do need to drive a bit more carefully now over speed humps
      Obviously just having a lower car is not necessarily better. The updated ride height I have now is based on having the lower control arm pivot points horizontal. It corners much better now, and I love the looks of the new ride height.
      I should do a new glamor-shot of the car now, but I'd need to stop driving it and messing with various adjustments to wash it.

My new front suspension has exceeded my expectations. Finally got to the AutoX track. This is my third autocross, ever, and my FIRST with this suspension. On the street it's better, on the track it's WAY better.
      Last year at the optima event in Kentucky I was struggling to get the front to stick.
      All I've changed on the car was the front suspension, and went with 245-50/17 front tires.
      I finished right in the middle of all the CAM participants.
      It took a few runs to get use to the now more planted front with the back perhaps more loose than I'd like. I put together a great run on the last time out.
      What a BLAST!
      Name:  front-view_png.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  153.7 KB

And here is a pic of the back of the car not 'sticking' as much as I'd prefer on a right-hand corner cresting a hill. Sure was fun!
      Name:  FVSCC-oversteer_fun.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  137.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mike343sharpstick View Post
      My new front suspension has exceeded my expectations. Finally got to the AutoX track. This is my third autocross, ever, and my FIRST with this suspension. On the street it's better, on the track it's WAY better.
      Last year at the optima event in Kentucky I was struggling to get the front to stick.
      All I've changed on the car was the front suspension, and went with 245-50/17 front tires.
      I finished right in the middle of all the CAM participants.
      It took a few runs to get use to the now more planted front with the back perhaps more loose than I'd like. I put together a great run on the last time out.
      What a BLAST!
      Name:  front-view_png.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  153.7 KB

And here is a pic of the back of the car not 'sticking' as much as I'd prefer on a right-hand corner cresting a hill. Sure was fun!
      Name:  FVSCC-oversteer_fun.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  137.7 KB
      Man I've been away from the pro tour scene..still have my 72 Skylark and my 75 hornet..just added a 78 volare

Man, that's some sweet custom.arms
      Willing to make me some for my hornet?
      72 buick skylark
      twin-turbo fuel injected buick 350..perhaps stroked to 370 in the works!

Thanks, This project has been very popular. I've been busy building kits for many AMC owners.
      I have started work on developing a lower arm kit that will work with my upper control arm kit. I have a perpetual waiting list on the upper kit so I haven't had much extra time to get this completed.
      The lower kit will replace the stock lower control arm and strut rod, but use tubular construction and race-style components. Same basic components as you would see on a modern TA2orGT1 race car. These lower control arms would fit on a 1970 or later AMC as well.
      I could build some upper arms for a 1970 or later AMC but it would be a custom fabricated unit. I would need a complete set of upper control arms to build a fixture.

Quote Originally Posted by mike343sharpstick View Post
      Thanks, This project has been very popular. I've been busy building kits for many AMC owners.
      I have started work on developing a lower arm kit that will work with my upper control arm kit. I have a perpetual waiting list on the upper kit so I haven't had much extra time to get this completed.
      The lower kit will replace the stock lower control arm and strut rod, but use tubular construction and race-style components. Same basic components as you would see on a modern TA2orGT1 race car. These lower control arms would fit on a 1970 or later AMC as well.
      I could build some upper arms for a 1970 or later AMC but it would be a custom fabricated unit. I would need a complete set of upper control arms to build a fixture.
      So lowers sound like what I'm wanting..just like how ride tech mustang lowers..made it a true A Arm ..no more stupid strut

Yeah, 70 and up arms work with every AMC model except pacer and eagles
      If you need uppers I can send them.
      72 buick skylark
      twin-turbo fuel injected buick 350..perhaps stroked to 370 in the works!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com