Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Canada

Importing parts into Canada

I'm currently looking at getting an large order (sub frame) shipped into Canada from Summit Racing. They want to ship via UPS, but in the past I was forced to pay some crazy fees once the parts arrived at my door.

Does anyone have experience dealing with this. I am hoping that summit will complete a NAFTA certificate of origin CORRECTLY since the parts are manufactured in the USA.

I know from experience I've had people undervalue the parts and label it as a gift but, we know summit won't be doing that. Why not take the drive down I'm a couple hours south of you and I've done it. My buddy wanted to lower his truck....what the shipping and duty were going to cost we figured that we could drive there for the same $ and have the parts faster
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

When products are imported to Canada you have to pay for taxes and Duty.

I ordered a lot of stuff that I picked in NY state to save on shipping, but I had to show the invoices and pay taxes and duty on the total amount... Plus a chance to have your vehicule "inspected". That's something to take into consideration when buying, don't forget that high exchange rate.

The easiest way would be to find a canadian reseller of what you're looking at. If it's an option you could save a bit...
      Simon

68 Camaro Convertible

I ship to cbi down in buffalo on a regular basis. Crossing the border back to canada I have to pay hst on my total bill after it is converted to canadian. Generally speaking if it is not made in the USA you will pay duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Mc Mahon View Post
      I ship to cbi down in buffalo on a regular basis. Crossing the border back to canada I have to pay hst on my total bill after it is converted to canadian. Generally speaking if it is not made in the USA you will pay duty.
      Great idea!!! Thanks, im looking into this option now. Did you have to pay New York sales tax when you ordered your items?

Majority of online retailers nix the tax since it's only applied if you bought it in that state.

Order from Kansas ship to New York no tax. Buy in New York and ship within New York pay tax.

I live in Bc and live right at the border been buying and importing my own parts for years. If it's under $150 they wave you through most of the time.

Get Nexus it will save you time crossing the border.

I've spent a LOT of $$ with Summit ... no one will beat their price for shipping simply because of the volume they are doing.
      Best part is, the price you see when you click 'shipping estimate' is THE SAME price you will pay when the item gets to your door ... NOT a penny more

Only the US$ is going to kill you right now

Cheers
      Steve
      Build it right ... 'The 2nd Time !!'
      69' SS/RS X11 PRO-TOURING E-Force LS7 - SOLD
      2 Custom FJ40's -SOLD
      Next - "Killer Piggy" & 77' 911 Hotrod

Quote Originally Posted by sheck44 View Post
      I've spent a LOT of $$ with Summit ... no one will beat their price for shipping simply because of the volume they are doing.
      Best part is, the price you see when you click 'shipping estimate' is THE SAME price you will pay when the item gets to your door ... NOT a penny more

Only the US$ is going to kill you right now

Cheers

Steve

Unfortunately I don't think the dollar will get better anytime soon. I think we were just spoiled for the past few years. But that's just my opinion.

As far as Summits shipping quote, when i placed the order shipping was quoted at $610US and then a few days later I receive an email stating shipping is much higher than expected, $1396US.

Thanks

I forgot to mention years ago there was a company on buffalo (canusa mailboxes)? I believe...take advantage of free shipping then drive the couple hours to go grab it still way cheaper then shipping it to your door. I didn't tell you this but make sure you "don't " have any paperwork from it then at the border tell them you bought it from someone online....300-400$ make up a number. You will only have to pay duty based on that...so I'm told because I've never done that before.
      Might help if you've got little to no packaging for the product too
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

IF you are willing to cross the border to pickup your parts on the US side is can be advantageous to unpack your NEW parts out of the original box so you can claim the parts are USED auto parts when you cross the border.

Tax's, Duty and Import Fee's are generally cheaper on USED parts!
      Mike

Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

www.musclecardeals.com

I would be cautious of trying to "pull a fast one" on boarder security. They might want to see evidence of a private sale, being email or text communications as well as the name and number/address of the person you bought the parts from. They are not idiots and they deal with people trying to beat the system everyday.

It sounds like you have never ordered from summit .. on line ? There are NO extra fees at our doors ever from them . All shipping , handling and duties paid at checkout even if it is a large part .
      The dollar at 42 % exchange would stop me in my tracks today lol
      Wrost for me was some pontiac heads built awhile back and shipped UPS ....out came the hand for an extra 634 dollars for fees .

Goodluck .
      Home of the red & white money pit.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com