Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Damn True
      Am I correct in understanding that the engine in an Escalade is essentially an LS6 with an iron block instead of aluminum?

Pretty much, it's 6.0L, it's iron, and the intake is different. Heads also don't flow as well. Virtually everything is interchangeable between the 5.3, 5.7 LS1/LS6 and 6.0L. Ported 6.0L heads are commonly used on boosted motors to lower compression.

Last edited by Ralph LoGrasso; 11-07-2005 at 09:13 PM.

This 383 is essentially the same as mine: http://carcraft.com/techarticles/84459/index.html
      They state in the article that it cost $4800 without ignition, etc (but with carb).

I bought a never assembled shortblock 350 4 bolt mains from
      a good friend=$650
      12-678-4 Comp cam=$112 at Summit, lifters, etc.
      Crane Roller rockers-$189
      New 195cc AFR heads from local shop-$1475
      I had the intake, carb, and ignition.
      $300-400 for extras.

That's it...If you can assemble the motor yourself, the engine will cost much less.

I know there's also faster, but how does low,low 12s sounds while being able to drive over to DesMoines for Good Guys last summer on pump gas, cruise, and drive back, also....
      I think it screams and has a little grunt...
      http://doukas.us/files/383atMAM.wmv save target to your hard drive to view best.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph LoGrasso
      Pretty much, it's 6.0L, doesn't have D shaped exhaust ports, is iron, and the intake is different. Heads also don't flow as well. Virtually everything is interchangeable between the 5.3, 5.7 LS1/LS6 and 6.0L. Ported 6.0L heads are commonly used on boosted motors to lower compression.
      I thought the 6.0L heads did have D-shaped ports. That's why some companies market them as "LS6 style"
      68 C-10 5.3L

97 Chevy 12V cummins powered monster truck

On the hunt for a chevelle project

Quote Originally Posted by Ackattack
      I thought the 6.0L heads did have D-shaped ports. That's why some companies market them as "LS6 style"

Actually, yeah you're right. That's how patriot makes their "LS6 style" heads so cheap. My mistake. I'll edit it out of the original post. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cad
      This 383 is essentially the same as mine: http://carcraft.com/techarticles/84459/index.html
      They state in the article that it cost $4800 without ignition, etc (but with carb).

I bought a never assembled shortblock 350 4 bolt mains from
      a good friend=$650
      12-678-4 Comp cam=$112 at Summit, lifters, etc.
      Crane Roller rockers-$189
      New 195cc AFR heads from local shop-$1475
      I had the intake, carb, and ignition.
      $300-400 for extras.

That's it...If you can assemble the motor yourself, the engine will cost much less.

I know there's also faster, but how does low,low 12s sounds while being able to drive over to DesMoines for Good Guys last summer on pump gas, cruise, and drive back, also....
      I think it screams and has a little grunt...
      http://doukas.us/files/383atMAM.wmv save target to your hard drive to view best.

Interesting build.
      What kinda trap speed are you getting along with the low 12's? Your video ends just before you trip the lights.
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

If you can find a 400 block, Yody has provided the correct answer. After torqueing threw the low end like a 383 you'll scream past that 302 @ 7500rpm like something straight out of Nextel. It's on my list ofthings to do this winter.

I have always liked the idea of a 377 but I despise solid cams. Could that motor be done on a hydraulic roller with AFR's rev kit and get good power to 7,000 rpm?
      It's shake and bake!!! and i helped!
      Drewco Homes

Quote Originally Posted by harshman
      I have always liked the idea of a 377 but I despise solid cams. Could that motor be done on a hydraulic roller with AFR's rev kit and get good power to 7,000 rpm?
      Possilbe, but there is no reason. Solid cams is where its at. Using a hydro roller for a 7,000 rpm motor would be a pretty useless idea though. I think if you really want to build a motor like that, just get over any bad ideas about solid cams.

nothing like a 302
      but they are expensive
      $$$$$$

On the topic of screaming-- Matt once tried to talk me into building a super high revving (10k redline) 289ci SBC for my car. I think it would be super fun for the road courses, but not much fun on the street, well maybe it would be fun, but ya better bring some bail money, heh. Matt is one crazy fella, but I'd sure like to see a braver soul build such a monster for a PT car.

I vote build the 327. Then add a supercharger or turbos, and have your cake and eat it too!
      70 Z28 Lt1/T56 project, 68 Camaro Lt4 Twin Turbo

So, what does one look for in a road racing/street stomping/cruising application? Too much torque means a pointless first gear (seen with my current big block). Exiting off of the turns I figure I will be about 3k rpm, and again grip is a very important issue, too much torque applied will send me sideways. So what am I after?
      Drewco Homes

Quote Originally Posted by harshman
      So, what does one look for in a road racing/street stomping/cruising application? Too much torque means a pointless first gear (seen with my current big block). Exiting off of the turns I figure I will be about 3k rpm, and again grip is a very important issue, too much torque applied will send me sideways. So what am I after?
      "traction"

Country Flag: Canada
      I think it would be cool to build up one of those GM 302's. Their a very cool motor that made great power with mods. All motor is fun, but make sure that you have the grunt to get you out of the hole hard.

-Matt
      Matt
      72 Chevelle 370ci, 76mm single turbo, TKX, Speedtech Track Time, Millerbuilt Strange full floater 9", Brembo brakes, BC Forged 18x11s with 315s square
      Instagram: Cst_koon

Another good option is what David Pozzi did for Mary's car, a GMPP 383/425 crate motor. The engine should come in under $5k, add in a new intake and carb, and you are done. Plus, it's brand new, comes with a warranty, and runs quite well. It will even accept a Magnuson Products supercharger with no needed modifications.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Quote Originally Posted by Damn True
      Is that a locally built motor?

The quote from Shaffiroff was for the build and shipping (Im in CA, he's in Bohemia NY).

The 327, being a '68 has the large journals. Is that the same journal size as most stroker cranks or is it an oddball?
      The large journal 327 is the same block as the 2 bolt main 350. Just get a 383 crank and build it. That would be the cheapest. Or have the 327 crank offset groud to the small rod journal diamater and you would have what the dirt track guys call a 9\16 stroker.
      Brad Shepard
      69 Malibu
      Marshall, MO

Interesting build.
      What kinda trap speed are you getting along with the low 12's? Your video ends just before you trip the lights.

That video is 1/8th mile last year, or the year before.
      Qtr mile mph is 108.

Throttle control?
      -Matt

Welders: The only people that think a co-worker catching on fire is funny.

Got'cha – stupid question apparently. I have never had 500 hp / 500 ft lbs at my feet at a track and was assuming that it may be too much torque to control.
      Drewco Homes

Nah. It'll be alittle touchy, but smoothness pays dividends. Apples to oranges, I know, but the TransAm guys are up around 800hp, asphault late models are in the same range, even those winston cup pigs are around 800hp on road courses.
      -Matt

Welders: The only people that think a co-worker catching on fire is funny.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com