Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Looking for a little more rumble

Right now my Camaro has a 2.5 Pypes Exhaust with X pipe and the tailpipes running straight out the back and Magnaflow mufflers. The sound is very nice but am lookng for a more aggresive sound.

My engine came off the dyno right at 500HP. Would it be worth it to go with a 3" exhaust with some Spintech's and either dump the exhaust right at the muffler or run them over the axles and cut them off enen with the fender OR would I notice a good bit of difference leaving my 2.5 adding the Spintech's and dumping them at the muffler or even with the fender?

I was a huge fan of Spintech untill http://blackwidowexhaust.com/extras/videos came along and we made the switch on 6 of our cars and trucks. We currently have a few more builds lined up that will also be getting Black Widow mufflers also.

I'm running a 383 SBC which is right at 500hp full length headers, 3" exhaust and 50 series Flowmasters with dumps and the car is too loud for my taste. Switching from 2.5" to 3" will make a big difference in the sound level. I kind of wish I had installed 2.5" now.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

nice that this just popped up. Im currently searching for exhaust for my ls3. Im debating about going to a 3" exhaust

Steve why not just put tail pipes on it and quite it down?

Quote Originally Posted by A.I.I. View Post
      I was a huge fan of Spintech untill http://blackwidowexhaust.com/extras/videos came along and we made the switch on 6 of our cars and trucks. We currently have a few more builds lined up that will also be getting Black Widow mufflers also.
      The Spintech mufflers I have heard are pretty loud, how loud are these compared the Spintech?
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Just swap the existing Magnaflows for something like a Hooker AeroChamber or a SpinTech. I don't think you need to step up to 3" for what you're after.

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

I just put on some Jones welded turboes and love them.

Have Dynatech split flow race mufflers on my LS3 with x pipe and all 2.5" piping. Sounds good.
      69LSX

Quote Originally Posted by A.I.I. View Post
      I have the 3" Pro Venoms on my car with a Shafiroff 540 Ultra Street. Very aggressive sound. Tail pipes will definitely quiet a car down. Running dumps will cause the exhaust to echo off the ground, but will stir up dust. I plan to add tail pipes to my car because it is way too loud. I am currently adding a major DSE suspension upgrade, and will snake the 3" tail pipes through the q-link. I really like these mufflers.

Exiting the exhaust under the car is not recommended. It can gas you with carbon monoxide. If you have the heater or A/C on it is even worse. I have a BBC in a 66 Lemans conv with Pypes Violators on it with full 2 1/2 pipes and 575/600 hp. Put a set of cutouts on it andf that will make it loud. Besides that they are fun when U pull up beside a tuner or a new muscle car and open them up. If you want it real loud put the cutouts up next to he headers. My cutouts are after the xpipe . Also you can quiet it down if you are traveling along side a cop. lol

Tailpipes in addition to longer mufflers will aid in keeping the noise down when not full throttle. I have a 3in x-pipe to 22in Ultraflo's through 3 in tails. Very good sound, and not overly loud until I want it to be.

66 Chevelle - LS-Leap

LQ9 / T56 Complete - Phase 2 in process!!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...t-LS-Heap-quot
      SC&C, Kore3, Detroit Speed, BBS, Advanced Induction, TickPerf, Currie, Moser, Holley, Hellwig, Edelbrock LS-Kit, Mast, Wilwood, BP-Automotive, StopTech, Ridetech, Hotchkis, UMI, Energy Suspension, AAW, B&B Classic's, PPG, Aeromotive, Canton, C&R, Sparco, Ididit, Spectre, Bridgestone, DakotaDigital, Alpine, RockfordFosgate

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com