Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Country Flag: United States

T56 Magnum S1 sequential shifter opinions.

I'm pretty disgusted with the stock Tremec T56 Magnum shifter. Even during normal driving I occasionally miss 3rd and end up in 5th. So I'm in the market for something better. I was investigating shifters and came across the S1 Sequential shifter that looks very interesting. From what I can tell it would be no different than shifting my Harley on the street but would offer quicker more positive shifts on track.

S1 also has an H pattern shifter that has a positive lockout which makes 2nd to 3rd shift impossible to miss. Just wondering if anyone has any background info on this company. Their facebook page has not been updated for several months and I'm wondering what the situation is with the company.

http://www.s1sequential.com/
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Steve,
      Did you watch the video on their web site? Looks pretty interesting.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

T56 Magnum S1 sequential shifter opinions.

The most common reason for getting 5th instead of 3rd is due to "guiding" the shifter. If you haven't already, try just pushing straight up with the palm of your hand-- no fingers.

Another thing worth a shot is the White Lightning shifter. They've gotten their leak issues fixed and it is an improvement over the factory shifter
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

My thoughts:

A) I think the shifter is vapor ware.

B) If you shift too quickly, it will tear up your synchro gears.

C) It is almost as expensive as your T56 Magnum.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Guiding the shifter is probably a good description of how I shift. I know about the palm shift I just need to remember to do it. I have also been told to use my finger tips to shift.

Vaporware is exactly what I was thinking as well. It smells like a Kesler type deal.

Still, I am intrigued by the idea of the sequential shift.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

What is the price tag of this shifter?
      Jody Haag
      [email protected]
      Most 4, 5, and 6 Speed Repairs, Parts, Service & Custom Installations
      610-413-8015
      Jody's Transmissions on Facebook

I don't know about the price of this particular shifter, but ones selling over seas run as much as $18k. I've seen articles where the price of this one is expected to be around $2k. Kinda pricey for my wallet.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
      I know about the palm shift I just need to remember to do it.
      The 2-3 shift is something you can practice on the street too. (as opposed to full blown heel-and-toe downshifting, lol).
      John Parsons

Country Flag: UK
      hello all I have a t56 magnum for my 79 trans am that shifter sound pricey. what is the white lightning would I benefit from one whats the difference from the standard t56 shifter mine is the close ratio t56. cheers kev

The White Lightning shifter by American Powertrain is a quality piece and a definite upgrade over the factory shifter. It's about $350 or so.
      John Parsons

I went from a ball knob shifter handle to a pistol grip mainly because I have a Mopar, yeah yeah I know, but it IS better for shifting my T56. I can powershift 3rd now where as before a couple times I would hit 1st, this is WAY worse than 5th btw. The T56 is finicky no matter what though IMO and if a guy wants sequential look no further than than the Quaife. One cool thing is they already make them in the Viper pattern which should also mate up to the LS.
      http://quaifeamerica.com/qbe69g044.html

I don't see a lot of us dropping everything and going after a $14k+ shifter. Kinda out of reach for most of us..

Carl Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by minendrews68 View Post
      I don't see a lot of us dropping everything and going after a $14k+ shifter. Kinda out of reach for most of us..
      It's $14K for the whole transmission and shifter.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

your right Andrew, i didn't read far enough. Now I'm wondering if some of the others are this way.

Carl Wilson

The S1 price is around $1950 US but they don't have a T56 Magnum version ready just yet. To be honest they seem to be extremely slow at developing and marketing this shifter. Sad part is there seems to be a LOT of interest in their product if it were just available. Might be a market for someone to tap into.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

I have a T56 with the 6 "Dog" Gears to go with it. I plan on giving it a home in "EnGULFed", my 1964 Corvette GS.

If it would work with what I had it would be sweet. I have a very bad shoulder, (Been replaced twice) a simple push or a pull would sure make things more comfortable.

This transmission wasn't cheap, but it looked like fun so I picked one up. Its been a couple of years, I am surprised what ANY of the good transmissions costs now.

Looking forward to hearing someone who has one.

Thanks,

Ty O'Neal
      "EnGULFed"
      1964 Gulf liveried, Corvette Grand Sport

Ty...

I need more details on your trans. I have a T56 in my Cougar with a G-force dog-ring gear set, but 5th and 6th are fully synchronized. I can't see a reason to have over drive gears that you "bang" as they are not very strong...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Try as I might I simply cannot get the stock Tremec shifter to function well under the pressure of track day driving. I have tried palming and using finger tips but regardless of how I shift, at high speed the shifts are by necessity very slow in order to be accurate and downshifting into a corner is, well, hit or miss at best. I know I can buy any number of aftermarket H pattern shifters but I'm really interested in a sequential shifter.

S1 is currently shipping their sequential shifter for the T56 Magnum six bolt mount priced at just under $2250 US with the optional accessories. Then I saw a company at SEMA by the name of Bremer Shifters that is releasing a new sequential shifter for the T56 which is due to be released the end of March 2018 for about the same price as the S1. The Bremer has some features that I like but I have never heard of this company. It appears both S1 and Bremer are Australian companies. Has anyone ever heard of Bremer Shifters?

Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Steve,

This is all very nifty, but I think a sequential shifter would be a major pain in the a$$ on the street. Unlike a H-pattern shifter, this shifter requires that you go through all the gears EVERY TIME you shift. So imagine driving around town in 4th and then having to come to a gentle stop at a red light. With a H-pattern shifter you can put it in neutral and just coast to the stop. With a sequential, there is no option to do that. You will have to go from 4th to 3rd to 2nd to 1st, then neutral. Or imagine driving and having to slow down for a turn on the street. No option to go from 4th to 2nd, which is very common.

I also think with the quick shifting nature of this shifter it will be hell on the synchro gears. Just my 2 cents...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

I like the idea of the sequential shifter because it seems like a neat idea. It kind of reminds me of the earlier Mr Gasket inline shifter for the 4 speeds. But i'm going to have to agree with Andrew on this, to have to downshift through all gears will be a pain in the butt going from 4th, 5th, or 6th back to first at a red light is much easier.

Carl Wilson

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com