Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

High Performance Coolants...Worth The Cost?

Hey folks,
      Getting ready to do a coolant change in my 69 Camaro and I'm trying to decide if its worth ordering the expensive stuff rather than just getting what I can locally. The car has a 477 CI big block with aluminum heads, a Be Cool 700 HP aluminum radiator (this engine's estimated HP is about 540 or so) with dual SPAL electric fans. We have had some serious overheating issues with this car in the past so I try to be pretty meticulous when it comes to the cooling system, not to mention the concern of corrosion with all that aluminum. Currently I'm running Be Cool's premium coolant but this being the first coolant change with the car I have nothing to compare it to.

I've read a little about just using distilled water with Water Wetter or some other additive but I'd rather not have to flush and refill the system when it gets cold. I've looked around town for a place that carries any type of high performance coolant but no luck--I'm pretty much stuck with whatever I can find at Autozone, O'Reilly's, or NAPA.

For those of you who have tried the expensive stuff like Be Cool or Evans, how do you think it compares to the regular coolant from the box stores? I'm curious about Evans in particular since my car has had overheating issues in the past. Would something with a higher boiling temp like Evans help protect the engine from damage if it overheats?

Thanks,
      Matt

Country Flag: United States
      Personally, if coolant like Dex-Cool is good enough for the OEM's, then it should be good enough for us. I worked at GM over the summer and every vehicle there got 50/50 Dex-Cool put in it. That's what we run in all of our personal vehicles.

With respect to coolant, the more water you have in the system, the better it will cool because water is the best heat transfer medium there is. I accidentally ran straight coolant in my Chevelle (I was told it was diluted) and I started to run into heat soak issues, but it was also 108* at the race haha. I fixed the mix ratio and it cools drastically better. I've heard good and bad things about the Evan's coolant, I'll let somebody with more experience chime in about it.

C&R has a really good article called Cooling Systems 101 on this page, I'd give it a read:

http://www.crracing.com/tech
      Nelson
      1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

Quote Originally Posted by WallaceMFG View Post
      Personally, if coolant like Dex-Cool is good enough for the OEM's, then it should be good enough for us. I worked at GM over the summer and every vehicle there got 50/50 Dex-Cool put in it. That's what we run in all of our personal vehicles.

With respect to coolant, the more water you have in the system, the better it will cool because water is the best heat transfer medium there is. I accidentally ran straight coolant in my Chevelle (I was told it was diluted) and I started to run into heat soak issues, but it was also 108* at the race haha. I fixed the mix ratio and it cools drastically better. I've heard good and bad things about the Evan's coolant, I'll let somebody with more experience chime in about it.

C&R has a really good article called Cooling Systems 101 on this page, I'd give it a read:

http://www.crracing.com/tech
      OK so let get a few facts on table about Dec-Cool it sucks, it gunks up if it runs with air in the system, the 2EHA in the coolant attacks plastic when under heat and pressure. You can brag about GM running it but it sucks period. Fords extended life coolant G-O5 is much better and doesn't attack plastic in cooling system.
      Now the biggest hindrance in cooling system is being laced with water because when you mix coolants with water then install it in a system with two types of metal you get a battery. This is what the additives are put in coolant to stop, as they deplete, it turns alkaline or acidic.
      Evans coolant is pure coolant, 375 deg boiling point, never frezes solid just gets little slushy if below -40, and because its pure it needs no special help. It lasts nearly forever, needs NO pressure to operate, but most systems I set for about 2-4 psi, but low pressure caps are hard to source. I have never had a cooling issues using Evans, and had a few engines live BECAUSE of Evans coolant.
      Also you will never see corrosion if properly installed ie use thcflush if system had EG in it before.
      Dex crud I wouldn't install in anything. I have had to fix so many cars because of it. VW has plastic impeller rotors in 2.0l bug motors, and the stock coolant is Dex cool and they trash out and wipe out headgaskets.
      Havoline produced a loser in it.
      Number one reason GM still uses it is contracts and patents, invest money buying rights to and financing development of something, unless it results in multiple lasuits, they keep using it, at least till the recoup some of the money spent developing it.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

High Performance Coolants...Worth The Cost?

Many say distilled water and Water Wetter. Especially if your area doesn't freeze.

We usually use the Zerex G05 stuff.

We have also tried Evans waterless coolant, but it tends to hold more heat in.. Although it doesn't boil.

-Dale

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

We use Be Cool radiators, so we used their Be Coolant. Haven't had an issue yet in our shop truck and styed right at 200º when waiting in line for over an hour in +90º heat last year on the Power Tour.
      -Mike

The job of the coolant is to pull heat from the engine and hold it till it passes through the radiator to be cooled. I believe Ray Bohacz did a test that showed the temp of a cylinder head using conventional 50/50 anti-freeze vs Evans. While Evans had a higher temp per the gauge, the head was quite a few degrees cooler.
      1971 Firebird
      2017 Slipstream SS

I have seen several 070 and 080 overbore 400 blocks that ran at 250 with eg/water and with Evans ran right on tstat. Can't say engines made good power cause 400 with much more than 020 or 030 overbore are power losers. Had several guys build 406 and bigger and we would increase 25 to 45 HP by simple aftermarket block swap. No other changes and old blocks had full blueprint.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

I have a BeCool radiator with my 383 SBC, aluminum RHS heads and a single electric Flex-a-Lite fan rated at 3300CFM. I filled the cooling system with NAPA Extended use 50/50 pre-mix and with my 185deg T-Stat the temp has never gotten above 190deg even setting in traffic. I have never tried the Evans stuff, never felt the need to use it.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

I using the Evans waterless coolent and some of the paper gaskets started leaking. Has anyone else had this problem? ie.. thermostat, intake manifold ect..

We all came into this world ignorant, it takes hard work to remain joyful in its bliss.
      --Hazewriter--

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...0-Convertible)

Evens all the way i switched to Evens when my Becool radiator developed a pin hole leak. Did research and found i had electrolysis. Evens stopped that due to no water in my engine and i have never had a heating issue.

Yes, that's the reason I started using Evans coolant I switched to an aluminium radiator and with a few other mods fixed my heat problem. However it developed leaks threw the paper gaskets. Should I be concerned?

We all came into this world ignorant, it takes hard work to remain joyful in its bliss.
      --Hazewriter--

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...0-Convertible)

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com