Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
      Country Flag: New Zealand
      Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
      It has been a busy couple of months with non-car related endeavors, however I found a few chances to spin a bolt and start new projects. Like many projects I've done before, I have started new ones, still unsure whether the end result will survive the cut in the final product of the build.

I have been trying to decide what to do in the trunk for some time, and functionality is quite important. I decided to spend a day with MDF and see if I could come up with a layout that I like that doesn't sap too much space. It's incomplete but I decided to keep the battery fully accessible and maintain all space to the rear seat for luggage, or golf clubs or something. The big question will be how heavy it is once complete, and even though this is not going to be a track car, I don't need to be adding too much unnecessary weight

This thought process then lead to the next project, and although I have never had a subwoofer in any car, and I usually dislike them in any performance car, I stumbled across these powered subs designed for trucks/under-seat installation and the reviews were really good for this Alpine unit. The plan right now is to mount it underneath the parcel shelf IF I can find a suitable way to mount it that will stay secure. Overall it should provide a great mid-low range for the audio without taking up any space and only adding a little bit of weight.

To be mounted underneath this location.

I've been researching clutches for what feels like an eternity. There's recommendations for almost all of them, and bad reviews for all of them. It can be a frustrating topic. Last month I stumbled across an LS7 clutch going cheap on eBay, I made a bid and won it by surprise for a good price, so for now, the clutch headache is temporarily over unless I have any immediate issues with this one. I expect to be right on the limit of the LS7 clutches capabilities but at this point it gets me one step closer to completion.

ls7 clutch stepped or flat flywheel?

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Gmc427 View Post
      ls7 clutch stepped or flat flywheel?
      Stepped flywheel, part of the LUK 04-905 package

Quote Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
      MDF is pretty heavy stuff. You could use automotive interior grade waterproof cardboard if you're just making paneling to make it nice looking back there for a lot less weight. From your described use, I'd suggest doing away with the MDF altogether and just get a decent padded carpet made up for the floor. If you put the carpet pad all the way across on the bottom, you could make the side panels so they fit tightly on the carpet for a clean, finished look. This would be washable if needed, and would be tons lighter in the back. If you do decide to go with the MDF, waterproof it all the way around. Trunks get wet, and MDF crumbles when wet.

Incidentally, I've never used the company I linked, but the link shows what I'm talking about.

That subwoofer one you have should make your sound system sound a lot better. I had a Kenwood version of your subwoofer in a pickup I used to have, and taking the base off the other speakers really improved the sound. I'm not one of those guys driving slowly down the road going thumpty-thump though, I just like clean sounding music at around the same volume level as you'd use speaking in a conversation. The truck is gone now, but that Kenwood subwoofer is now mounted in my shop.
      Quote Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
      Please don't use MDF in a car. It will absorb moisture badly. Not only will it swell as it suck up the water, it'll begin to mold.
      Long term, things will end badly. Yea, it's what all the Honda kids use for their subs and it works great. But that's not long term.
      Thanks for the advice guys, you both reinforced some of my concerns, I'll take a look at the waterproof cardboard but may end up going back to ABS sheets similar to what they use for door panels, it's significantly lighter and I only really need it on the perimeter if I choose not to run the heaviest panels on the floor.

HDPE panels might work?
      I don't know, I've never done it in an automotive application, but it's 100% impervious to moisture and easy to work with.

Looks great Jim! I have an LS7 clutch and it works great.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

Heck of a job on the whole build , question what year model or part number on that hood latch ?

Quote Originally Posted by frankv11 View Post
      Heck of a job on the whole build , question what year model or part number on that hood latch ?
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...Diy+hood+latch

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by frankv11 View Post
      Thanks frank, I'm a huge fan of your work and your products. Don referenced the correct parts, and they're easily found on eBay. I actually plan to eventually buy another, as there is a slight difference in the quality of some and I believe I have the more flimsy version. If you really wanted a nice one I see Porsche make an even better version of it.

Thank you , thinking about finally building a core support close out panel , and figure I need to either change it now or never .
      Thanks for the reference

Thank you fir the input. What a write up

Well just like that, a track time speed tech suspension package is ordered...

also, just putting the finishing touches on my grille, inspired by roadstershop.
      Let me start by saying great project!! Love all the mods and the knowledge sharing (like the rear bumper mod, etc) is very cool of you to do! One question I wanted to ask was when you did the custom mesh for your grill does it sit on the very back of your grill or does it actually sit inside of the shell itself? I’m assuming you use some sort of epoxy to attach it with? I’ve been knocking around the same idea for my 67, but my first attempt it’s going to be trying to use the factory grill and just add a piece. If I can’t do that then I will probably look at some mesh material similar to what you used.

Name:  IMG_3904.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  128.1 KBName:  IMG_3903.jpg
Views: 1065
Size:  109.4 KB
      '67 Camaro SS - Currently in build stage but making progress!
      **Brett**

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth67 View Post
      Let me start by saying great project!! Love all the mods and the knowledge sharing (like the rear bumper mod, etc) is very cool of you to do! One question I wanted to ask was when you did the custom mesh for your grill does it sit on the very back of your grill or does it actually sit inside of the shell itself? I’m assuming you use some sort of epoxy to attach it with? I’ve been knocking around the same idea for my 67, but my first attempt it’s going to be trying to use the factory grill and just add a piece. If I can’t do that then I will probably look at some mesh material similar to what you used.
      Thanks for the kind words. I never considered what I was doing as knowledge sharing ha, The beauty of old cars is they can be done several ways and all I've tried to do is show what I did. If you've read the whole way through you'll even see the mistakes I made, the changes I made, what worked and what didn't.
      As for the grille, I mounted the mesh behind the grill and yes, used an epoxy(or something similar, I don't quite remember now, maybe plastic welding) to do so, saying that, it seems weak. when I finally dig around to pull it out of storage for final install, I actually planned to lay a thin strip of fibreglass or similar to strengthen it.

Now for yours, I don't quite know how you'll mount the original mesh but I'm sure you can make it happen. one piece of advice I never mentioned previously, is to mount it on the car BEFORE mounting the mesh, just to ensure you're not distorting the opening or anything like that, I believe I got lucky with mine but could see it being a big problem for others. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the kind words. I never considered what I was doing as knowledge sharing ha, The beauty of old cars is they can be done several ways and all I've tried to do is show what I did. If you've read the whole way through you'll even see the mistakes I made, the changes I made, what worked and what didn't.
      As for the grille, I mounted the mesh behind the grill and yes, used an epoxy(or something similar, I don't quite remember now, maybe plastic welding) to do so, saying that, it seems weak. when I finally dig around to pull it out of storage for final install, I actually planned to lay a thin strip of fibreglass or similar to strengthen it.

Now for yours, I don't quite know how you'll mount the original mesh but I'm sure you can make it happen. one piece of advice I never mentioned previously, is to mount it on the car BEFORE mounting the mesh, just to ensure you're not distorting the opening or anything like that, I believe I got lucky with mine but could see it being a big problem for others. I hope that makes sense.
      Yep I got to actually read through everything yesterday. All part of it - I’ve started a build thread but I don’t have the touch, lol! Plus I usually don’t take enough pictures.

As for attaching, I came across some videos yesterday where you take some plastic (old grill section), break it up into small pieces then mix them with acetone to make a “plastic glue”. So epoxy for strength and some small welding rod/wire on the back across the joints for strength, the should be hidden by the grid. The slurry mix would be to fill in any gaps, etc. then after all that and if it looks like crap I’ll go with a similar mesh material like you used, lol

'67 Camaro SS - Currently in build stage but making progress!
      **Brett**

Becoming a dad has made for a wild ride these last couple of weeks, especially with the wife opening a business just a month prior, however I have managed to find time to start getting back into the project. It seems like motivation/time comes in small squirts and will probably remain like this for coming months. Squirts is a common word used in my life at the moment.

I managed to get the trunk and roof finished out in kilmat. It sometimes feels like a step backwards adding so much weight but I want this cabin sealed and comfortable. I'm still planning the next noise reduction steps as I figure out the carpet situation.

I left the back seat area without deadener for now as I still need to figure out what I'm doing here. after a bit of foam removal I managed to get the 5th gen base to fit very nice, and I actually had the original bracket and I'm currently modifying it to fit, and most importantly, retaining it's baby seat mounting brackets(sorry no pics of this yet). The back rest will need some more serious modifications to fit between the wheel tubs but I'll most likely give this to the upholsterer to do at a later date.

I also got a little sick of it on stands, and wasn't really sure why I waited so long, but I ordered my front tires and got the car back on the ground.
      I didn't want to mess with the inner tubs any more now that they're painted so I got quite an aggressive backspace for a 9.5" wheel, but the 275's actually fit really well and for now(without a motor and tranny installed) there are no rubbing issues.... touch wood.

This also allowed me to roll the car out and take a proper good look at my bodywork now that it's sealed. overall I'm very happy with it and have newfound motivation to get it in for paint sooner rather than later.

Sharp looking. Congrats on the new little squirt. When it comes time for the seats, vinyl in the back will be your friend. Or, at the very least, very heavy duty one-piece vinyl covers. Little kids are perpetually sticky until around age 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
      Sharp looking. Congrats on the new little squirt. When it comes time for the seats, vinyl in the back will be your friend. Or, at the very least, very heavy duty one-piece vinyl covers. Little kids are perpetually sticky until around age 10.
      Haha great advice!! these 5th gen seats are factory leather for now, and I will probably try and keep them that way to keep costs down in the upholstery stage. but being factory seats slightly narrowed, I bet that there's also an aftermarket cover available.
      installing these brackets literally never crossed my mind until last week when A. I installed my first baby seat, and B. realized I had the factory 5th gen seat brakes, and with only minimal modification, will allow 2 child seats to be utilized, which are realistically the only thing that will fit on this back seat.

Congrats Jim! Babies are great, but they make working on cars much more difficult as spare time seems to dry up.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

I forgot to update this thread, this was about a month ago. Hopefully some good updates soon.

Then some wetsanding

Nice!!!!

The interior looks great. How thick is the KilMat you used?
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com