Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
      Well just like that, a track time speed tech suspension package is ordered...

also, just putting the finishing touches on my grille, inspired by roadstershop.
      The grill mesh looks great. is that some material that you bought? very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by RobNoLimit View Post
      The grill mesh looks great. is that some material that you bought? very nice.
      Straight off eBay, I'll maybe be incorporating it into my stinger hood also

Not major progress but it doesn't all stop when I leave to work.getting rid of more chrome.

Can't find picture anymore, thanks photo bucket

some progress on the 68/69 hybrid valance, also currently making progress on fitting a 5th gen camaro trans tunnel

Looking for a metal stinger hood for my 67. Who did you buy yours from? Happy with it? Thanks

I think there's only one manufacturer, mine came from either jegs or summit racing, I can't remember now.
      Yes I'm happy with it now, but the fabrication to open up the scoop was a pain.
      For me, with very little fabrication skills and having someone else do it, it cost more than the hood itself.
      It's also very heavy

Quote Originally Posted by SD67 View Post
      Looking for a metal stinger hood for my 67. Who did you buy yours from? Happy with it? Thanks

Country Flag: Canada
      How did you get the brushed look on the handle like that?

Are you going to do the bumpers as well?

Just a light scotch bright pad in the same direction, I might have to clear coat them but so far they've remained perfect.
      regarding the bumpers, I plan to cut and shorten them to sit flush with the body. So I'm still undecided on whether I'll paint them body colour, or do the same brushed effect to match the wheels and door handles.
      any other chrome or polished pieces will be deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by AAQUINO11 View Post
      How did you get the brushed look on the handle like that?

Are you going to do the bumpers as well?

James,
      Can you send me information about the grille build? I'm working on a '68 and I really like the way yours turned out.

My email is [email protected]

Thanks,
      Carl

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by minendrews68 View Post
      James,
      Can you send me information about the grille build? I'm working on a '68 and I really like the way yours turned out.

My email is [email protected]

Thanks,
      Carl
      No problem at all, email is sent, thats about 10 sent out now, I'm anxiously waiting to see someone else's design with different mesh.

Photobucket ruined this post

Can't wait to see what you did with the 5th gen trans tunnel. I already bought a 2012 Camaro console and emergency brake and started mocking it up in my 67. It looks great with the 4th gen seats I had custom upholstered.
      RagRat

Chris Costa

Quote Originally Posted by Rag-Rat View Post
      Can't wait to see what you did with the 5th gen trans tunnel. I already bought a 2012 Camaro console and emergency brake and started mocking it up in my 67. It looks great with the 4th gen seats I had custom upholstered.
      I can't wait for it to be installed also. Although it will make it simple to install the console, It more importantly will allow the new dash to fit easier.
      but If you want to see the tunnel sooner, checkout this build thread, I'm basically learning directly from these guys who are a bit ahead of me on the interior. fantastic work.
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Hard-and-Soft

Thanks, that thread was a great read. Wish I could afford a LSA motor. I will probably have to piggy-back a 5th gen tunnel onto my tunnel too. It has a lot of the structure for the console and e-brake. Since I am using the original dash I plan on sliding the console forward and raising it up only slightly and it will blend in well. Now to find a donor tunnel.
      RagRat

Chris Costa

Quote Originally Posted by Rag-Rat View Post
      Thanks, that thread was a great read. Wish I could afford a LSA motor. I will probably have to piggy-back a 5th gen tunnel onto my tunnel too. It has a lot of the structure for the console and e-brake. Since I am using the original dash I plan on sliding the console forward and raising it up only slightly and it will blend in well. Now to find a donor tunnel.
      Just keep in mind, that the tunnel is wider, in effect it causes the seats to sit wider than normal and also standard carpet won't fit.. your console and hand-brake will bolt in place perfect but at a price, I'm lucky where I haven't start on the seats or carpet so it's something I can look out down the road. If i wasn't using the dash and required the mounting points for it, I probably wouldn't have used the tunnel.
      A better option would probably be to find a wrecked camaro, and instead of using the tunnel, cut/ remove the top face that has all the mounting points and weld it onto a stock tunnel. This was my original plan until i found a tunnel and 2012 dash frame for $500

Damn James! Doing the same hybrid lower valance idea! Looks nice!

Just keep in mind, that the tunnel is wider, in effect it causes the seats to sit wider than normal and also standard carpet won't fit.. your console and hand-brake will bolt in place perfect but at a price, I'm lucky where I haven't start on the seats or carpet so it's something I can look out down the road. If i wasn't using the dash and required the mounting points for it, I probably wouldn't have used the tunnel.
      A better option would probably be to find a wrecked camaro, and instead of using the tunnel, cut/ remove the top face that has all the mounting points and weld it onto a stock tunnel. This was my original plan until i found a tunnel and 2012 dash frame for $500
      Yes it is wider if you take the tunnel from 5th gen floor up. we split the difference, and only took the top of the tunnel. it only widened the tunnel up high, which would be needed anyway for most t56-6l80 installs anyway. That would have left a first gen seat sitting in the original position. We however are using 5th gen seats which are way wider than stock. its also critical with later model seats to get it mounted low enough to keep your head off the ceiling. Not to hijack your thread James, but here are a few in progress pics that show where the tunnel cut line was, with the upper corner braces removed.
      Name:  5-1.jpg
Views: 3512
Size:  118.4 KB
      Name:  5-2.jpg
Views: 3444
Size:  141.4 KB

Wow man, this is cool. Loving the functional stinger hood. Cool stuff!

Dan
      A.K.A: That bald guy
      Find me on Facebook or my personal website.

- 67 Camaro: Current Project Car

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptonomad View Post
      Yes it is wider if you take the tunnel from 5th gen floor up. we split the difference, and only took the top of the tunnel. it only widened the tunnel up high, which would be needed anyway for most t56-6l80 installs anyway. That would have left a first gen seat sitting in the original position. We however are using 5th gen seats which are way wider than stock. its also critical with later model seats to get it mounted low enough to keep your head off the ceiling. Not to hijack your thread James, but here are a few in progress pics that show where the tunnel cut line was, with the upper corner braces removed.
      Name:  5-1.jpg
Views: 3512
Size:  118.4 KB
      Name:  5-2.jpg
Views: 3444
Size:  141.4 KB
      Damn, That's awesome, thanks for the pictures, I'll be running the 5th gen seats and 6L80 box also so i know i will need it wider and higher towards the front, but for the rest of it, I have been hoping to find a way to narrow it a bit, Mostly for carpeting issues and appearance. I like what You've done. I unfortunately won't be able to take a good look at this until i get back from work in a few weeks.
      So from your pictures it looks like the upper corners are seperate panels spot welded on? is this true?
      I figure the only mounting holes required up front are the 2 for the dash.

Damn, That's awesome, thanks for the pictures, I'll be running the 5th gen seats and 6L80 box also so i know i will need it wider and higher towards the front, but for the rest of it, I have been hoping to find a way to narrow it a bit, Mostly for carpeting issues and appearance. I like what You've done. I unfortunately won't be able to take a good look at this until i get back from work in a few weeks.
      So from your pictures it looks like the upper corners are seperate panels spot welded on? is this true?
      I figure the only mounting holes required up front are the 2 for the dash.
      Yes. The upper corners are spot welded on. Food for thought...I really understand your concerns for carpet and appearance, but would offer this advice. When thinking about appearance, try and remember that interior components will have to be placed somewhat proportionally to 5th gen locations. This is most obvious for correct 5th gen appearance, but what is not so obvious is component functionality. For example, the 5th gen seats are much wider than the 1st gen. they are also significantly taller, critically at a the base. This causes two issues. 1. If the 5th gen seats are just mounted to the original (unmodified) seat pans, in between and unmodified tunnel or inner rocker (path of least resistance), most drivers of average height will have their heads in the ceiling and knees hitting the steering wheel...2. The seats will be so close together in the center, the console itself will be wedged in there (really tight) interfering and deforming the seats upper and lower side bolsters. appearance wise this may be acceptable, but functionally it will put significant stress on the motors and jack screws of the seats, and eventually break the cheap ass tabs holding on the console side covers (we broke just mocking that scenerio, just operating with nobody in the seat).
      "On your hope to narrow tunnel towards the back" We carried the 5th gen tunnel width the full length of the upper corner braces, and tapered it down to 1st gen width beyond the braces. Reasons for this were many, e-brake handle and cable components underneath, upper module mounting (we are using all 5th modules), and "FUNCTIONALLY" for the size of the transmission tail housing/shaft flange which requires a CV type driveshaft (much larger than traditional yoke components..and will be complicated more with 6l80 girth). We may eventually convert to A6 trans, so we planned ahead. Most using A6 have ground clearance concerns with the pan..... so as much as you can get it into the tunnel, the better off you will be. Also when installing driveshaft, shifter components, exhaust, etc..You will be happy you went that far. Our projects have the benefit of the proper interior for that tunnel height, so i would recommend looking at it that way. We have actually dropped 5th gen molded carpet in there (with all padding removed) and it didn't fit bad at all. Based on rough measurements we have done in critical areas, an OEM 1st gen carpet will also work if sliced down the middle leaving the center of the tunnel under the console bare. Last resort is let interior guy sweat over it (which will probably be us anyway..LOL). Time will tell. PM me when you get back in town, and i'll send my number and we can talk more in depth about all the approaches we have already explored, and why they were implemented or dismissed. might save you some time and money, which is why i created the build thread in the first place...to save others time and money of the known/unknown..LOL
      Last edited by Cryptonomad; 02-11-2016 at 08:41 AM.

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com