Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      I like what your doing for the closeout.

Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Corona update #1

Quote Originally Posted by Motown 454 View Post
      I like what your doing for the closeout.
      Thanks Wayne, it was relatively straight and flat so body work was easy. Most of the engine bay is super straight, really just doing body work to fill grind marks and scratches.

I found out today I will be home(not working) until this virus blows over, and with the 60-70 degree days I am jumping at the chance to get this body work squared away, If I can get all filler and poly primer work complete I'll be very happy, If I can get it sealed I'll be ecstatic.

Todays efforts;

And then I got real anal about it, decided to get rid of spot weld evidence.

Dude, you could totally paint it yourself. When I did my car, we did it in pieces. First the shell, then all of the others in groups. Unless you are doing a metallic, you could do it that way. Check out the Modern Charger build, he has a nice booth that he built in his own garage and the results were outstanding. You could always try to do something like that?

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a View Post
      Dude, you could totally paint it yourself. When I did my car, we did it in pieces. First the shell, then all of the others in groups. Unless you are doing a metallic, you could do it that way. Check out the Modern Charger build, he has a nice booth that he built in his own garage and the results were outstanding. You could always try to do something like that?
      Keepats results really are outstanding. I am considering it, we'll see how it all plays out shortly with work/corona/ shop availability etc I suppose. I do plan to spray metallic, and silver at that so it's crucial it's all back together, If I were to do it myself I will probably choose a different route I suppose.

Corona update #2

Another 8 hour day in the garage, unfortunately with minimal pictures, or should I say, very little work worth photographing...

As well as about 6 hours of filling and sanding places no-one will ever see, I decided it was best to A) make more garage space by using up scrap wood and B) make some work stands for the next steps..

I've prioritized my work into prepping panels for poly late this week/ early next week. Then once a panel is complete(currently nothing) I will remove them to a spare bedroom until EVERYTHING is ready for sealer...

I also enjoyed several coronas

Corona update #3

I decided to combine two days together as progress is hardly worthy of photos..

But I have managed to complete 1 fender, 1 inner fender, the radiator support and lower valance and have removed them from the garage to clear the clutter as well as my head.

This is the first time I have had to sand a vented cowl and holy %$&* it took a while, 2 obvious low spots were the least of my worries.

as well as all of the boring sanding and perfecting of obscure panels I have finally stripped the car beyond the point of return so it looks like I've committed now!

I figure I have a few more days of perfecting panels ready for more poly before I get started on the firewall and door seals but it's all progress in the right direction.

Corona update #4

now we have 3 days into one post...but also, very boring process.

a lot of time is spent perfecting the panel edges and I finally got onto the door seals and firewall.

I was hoping the smoothed firewall panel would be flat enough to just poly but after scuffing it I quickly realized it'll all need a glaze coat.

Decided to strip the car completely before I got too far into the firewall though,

Once some new jack stand pads arrive the entire suspension will be coming out.

I've been where you are and know what it feels like to put in all that work, but you cannot really capture in a picture. Keep up the good work. This is why they call it paint jail.

Quote Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a View Post
      I've been where you are and know what it feels like to put in all that work, but you cannot really capture in a picture. Keep up the good work. This is why they call it paint jail.
      I always thought that term meant that the car was stuck in a shop not making progress but damn! It's such a love-hate relationship, but I'm starting to see the light

hah, it can probably be interpreted multiple ways, but I like to think of it like a mental jail.

Corona update #5

Another 3 days work.

Hood's outer edges, Passenger inner fender, passenger fender, drivers door seal and fire wall as well as many other minor touch ups I can't remember have received some glazing work. I didn't want to get too carried away with the firewall, after all it is just completely flat and I figure the poly will reveal if it's anything other.

started taping up today and tomorrow I'll finish that, do a bit more seam sealing then epoxy the burn-throughs in the afternoon, the day after I should be able to hit these areas with feather fill.

As much as I enjoy bodywork, I'm getting tired of always being dusty. I'm looking forward to sealing all this work in the near future.

corona update #6

There's simply just too many parts to paint in a garage once all is disassembled, and this step has easily confirmed that I will not be painting the car myself unless I have access to a booth. So for now I am priming the remaining parts in smaller amounts, and will then sand and prepare to seal them individually with some SPI epoxy before remounting them. but for now, I can get a start on blocking these parts in the sunshine.

And it's maybe a little hard to tell without putting the rad support and inner fenders next to some stock items but I'm very happy that we welded up so many unnecessary holes in the early stages, these should look nice and clean.

I'll go old school, That Looks Awesome!! Now I realize how much I didn't think of doing having the car so far away. That really came out great.
      Wayne

Corona update #7

I don't even know how many days we've been on lockdown but I have spent EVERY day of it sanding, with the odd break to go golfing or fishing. Last week consisted of getting all pieces in poly, and this week consists of sanding all of those pieces in 240 followed by 400.

As parts are completed they earn the privilege to sleep inside...and also clear the garage

I figure 2-3 more days sanding the odds and ends then I am onto the body. almost time to order some epoxy! Which means almost time to put away the sandpaper!

Don't worry all that hard work is going to Show!! and be well worth it. Nice job.
      Wayne

Corona update #8

It seems it has been a week since my last corona update, boy time flies.

I got the door seals and firewall complete and then begun the tedious task of going over the whole car with a fine comb to find any flaws or hidden surprises. This part was time consuming but I'm glad I did it.
      I also removed the subframe and everything else from under the car. It was certainly exciting doing it all on my own to say the least.

Finally after EVERY piece of the car was finished to 400 grit and I was happy with everything, back came the ghetto booth for its final appearance.
      As of today the pieces have begun going into black SPI epoxy.
      I started with a couple of pieces I know I will be wet sanding in a couple of weeks so as to figure the product out a little but I couldn't be happier and I'm excited for the coming week as they hopefully all go back to black.

Once black, I will be hitting the underside of the car in raptor liner before reassembling

The car looks great nice job, and that radiator support looks sweet!
      Wayne

Why didn't I think of that. A built in core support filler panel. Nice job. Looks great

Country Flag: New Zealand
      looking good,golfing and fishing ?boy youre doing it hard

Quote Originally Posted by Motown 454 View Post
      The car looks great nice job, and that radiator support looks sweet!
      Quote Originally Posted by thumper877 View Post
      Why didn't I think of that. A built in core support filler panel. Nice job. Looks great
      Quote Originally Posted by Gmc427 View Post
      looking good,golfing and fishing ?boy youre doing it hard
      Thanks fellas, should be a busy week with the great weather keeping it above 65 for the epoxy.
      that said, I am booked in for some golf and fishing on the two best days..

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com