Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

My Hagarty renewal is up and think I'm paying too much.

1966 Chevelle, $40K agreed value, 2500-5000 miles a year (I've driven it approximately 2 in the last 2 years.). I'm in Northern California, garage with fire sprinklers.

I'm paying $763 annually and have zero marks on my driving record and have had a drivers license for a while

Tory

Livermore, CA
      American:
      1966 Chevelle SS "Tribute" Retro / Pro-Tour
      For Sale

There are a few threads on this subject. It seems that most people that have Hagerty or Grundy are pretty happy with the service/coverage they have. I have had Grundy for at least 10 years now and have zero complaints. I'm 42 and have my '69 Camaro covered at $40k with no mileage restrictions. Costs about $250 a year. If you don't drive your S4 as a daily driver they might give you a good deal on that also. They covered my 944T as part of my "collection" until I sold it. No company could even come close to them on that car!
      Matt H.

Quote Originally Posted by cactuss4 View Post
      1966 Chevelle, $40K agreed value, 2500-5000 miles a year (I've driven it approximately 2 in the last 2 years.). I'm in Northern California, garage with fire sprinklers.

I'm paying $763 annually and have zero marks on my driving record and have had a drivers license for a while

Tory
      WAY TOO EXPENSIVE!

Time for you to shop your collector car insurance coverage.

Probably not a bad idea to shop ALL of your current insurance coverage's!
      Mike

Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

www.musclecardeals.com

I think you’re paying way too much, I have a 69 Camaro and have had it insured with Hagerty at a cost in the 300.00+ range

Keep in mind the price for stock vs. modified varies greatly.

My policy does not show individual costs for each vehicle, but from my rough estimate, a modified vehicle is roughly 50% higher to insure.

I have two cars with Hagerty, both roughly the same stated value as yours and my total premium is close to yours.
      You should ask them what makes your policy so high.
      I also have that clause where I can buy the car back for $1 if it gets wrecked.
      I've never had a problem so I can't comment on their responsiveness.

Thread is 6 years old….
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Yeah, this thread is old but I believe it to still be relevant.
      Since I last posted in this thread my cars have changed a bit.
      Still have my '69 Camaro. Sold the Porsche 944T. Added a '74 Nova and a '17 SS sedan.
      The pricing through Grundy is still excellent if you ask me.
      Camaro is insured for $45k. $254 a year
      Nova is insured for $20k. $185 a year
      SS is insured for $50k. $623 a year
      No mileage limits. The SS is a much rarer car than the other two. And parts availability already sucks.
      If you take the SS out of the equation, I pay less than $37 a month.
      My "normal" insurance company would not account for the SS appreciating. I do have to note that it does sit
      like a "collector" car. I have a truck I drive daily.
      Matt H.

I too had a 50% surcharge from Hagarty on my 69 camaro due to it having a roll cage and then being considered modified.
      69 Camaro convertible, 410, M22, 8-pt cage therapy program. SOLD.
      68 camaro - SOLD
      67 Bel Air - New street project with perfect floors, frame and trunk!

.... and FYI. Nitrous is not permitted.

Minor bolt ons are permitted on stock vehicles, but they ask if it is under 500hp.

I've been with Condon Skelly for almost over 10 years now and they have been great. Same thing $40k agreed value, I'm 34, no dings, and I pay ~$300 per year.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

Great information. I have an agreed value policy of only 25k and Haggerty charged me $650 in SC.

Hagerty is the most overpriced insurance out there for classics. Quoted $1900 for 70' Nova at 75k agreed value by an agent. Thought that was wrong so I went to their site and made a quote myself using their system and the exact same details that I gave to the agent, came in at $1500. I am 29, so I left everything the same and changed the birthday so it said I was 62, this made the insurance drop down to $1200. They were giving me a surcharge because of my age, which should be irrelevant as I am 29, not 19 driving my first car. I have no accidents/violations/speeding tickets. Even at an age of 62, that price is still way too high.

I ended up going with Grundy and have full coverage that is exactly the same as what Hagerty offered and I am paying just under $500/year at 75k agreed value. Very happy I shopped around

I had a similar experience after being a longtime Hagerty customer and also ended up going to Grundy. I'm 34 for what it's worth. Recently Hagerty's prices kept going up significantly every year for no reason (no insurance claims/tickets/changes to agreed value), so I went to Grundy and got a quote for less than half the price. When I called Hagerty with the competing quote and asked if they could work with me, they said no. Hagerty appears to be trying to position themselves as a "premium lifestyle brand," which isn't really what I'm after in an insurance provider.
      - Ryan

I completely agree, You're not just paying for insurance if you are signed up with them you're paying for all the other stuff that they're involved in, sponsorships, races, advertising, all that fancy stuff. I just need insurance

Interesting. I am 27, 1968 Camaro, Modified, $45k agreed value coverage, with the roadside assistance. I believe the mileage limit per year is 5000 but they never ask for my mileage and I probably drive 2-3k miles per year. $775 /year as of JUN 2021. I am up for renewal in June so we'll see if it goes up. Went up $125 / year from 650 in 2020. May look into Grundy as well since I have heard good things about them.
      Electrical/Mechanical Engineer
      1968 Camaro RS - Flat Black

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com