Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Start with a $13k car. Do everything yourself. Dont expect to have it all done at once (which after a few years feels like youre NEVER going to have it done and becomes discouraging).

Forgo the Shockwaves for Global West. Pass up on coil overs and do nice springs and smooth body shocks. Dont purchase a completely custom interior and instead fashion your own panels out of fleece and resin. Browse the classifieds for good left overs. Hit up swap meets (those still exist and deals can still be had there).

Project thread - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ouring-Project
      IG - @tc_chevelle

First off don't get discouraged. Prioritize the things in your life and determine how to do the things you have to do and that will give you an idea about how much time and money you have left for the things you want to do. My wife and I didn't start building our cars until I was in my 40's.

There are plenty of cars out there that you can have a lot of fun with that won't break the bank. 3rd gen Camaro's and Firebirds can still be found in reasonable condition for less than $4000 all over the country and make a pretty good platform for autocross cars. Fox body Mustangs fall into a similar category. It might be years before the car is magazine worthy or exactly what you want it to be but you'll be able to go out and have fun with it while improving on it slowly over the years.
      Tom Pichette

Pit crew for Valerie Pichette and her 1988 Pontiac TransAm GTA "DragonLady"

Don't get discouraged. This is the internet where everyone is a mechanic with a 7 figure income. How many of your close friends or family have finished pro-touring cars similar to what you may have seen on this site. My guess would be zero. At first it seems like you need an astronomical amount of money to participate in this hobby, but what few understand is that you have to have the vision and stubbornness to see a project through to the end that may take longer than a decade. In time you will be able to afford the parts, but can you stay motivated when your project car is just a bare body on jack stands, but you are working on your daily driver instead just so you can drive it to work the next day?

Check the time stamps on some of the build threads on this site. You'll be surprised how long most of these threads have been going. if they are anything like mine, there was at least a few years worth of work that occurred prior to the first post.

Good luck, plan wisely and don't get in over your head, or someone else will be finishing your project and enjoying all your hard work. I've heard that it's frequently the third person that finally dives the project car that the previous 2 could not finish. Also heard that over half of all aftermarket parts purchased new, are not used by the original purchaser. So with the odds against you, go forth and conquer because you can have anything you want, just not everything you want.
      Zach

1970 Mach 1 build - Half-Breed (pro-touring.com)

I have another bit of opinion (I hesitate calling anything I say "advice"). Don't be seduced by all of the popular makes and models. There are many alternative body style that can be purchased relatively inexpensively and oftentimes they share the same driveline components as the more popular cars. For instance, instead of a 67 Mustang, look at a 67 Cougar, etc...

Also, buy the best survivor car you can afford. I would much rather start with faded original paint than a Rustoleum restoration. Get a car that has little or no rust. These cars are out there and if you choose a less popular platform it will not cost you a fortune. For instance, a clean running, driving Cougar can be had for under $5K.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

There are some very good ideas on in this thread! I am thinking if I ever get a chance to build something; Some good projects are:

1971 Chevy Vega- love the split bumper mod and looks good as the GT!
      1970-1972 Ford Maverick- maybe do a Grabber clone
      1970-1972 Monte Carlo- Found one for $900 that has most panels already replaced
      1991 Fox Body Mustang- Rather fond of the coupe other than the notchback
      1972-1975 Chevy LUV truck- easy enough to fit a V8!
      1969-1970 Opel GT- Cheap to find in good condition... Would love to do the Aluminum Buick 215ci V8 swap over the cast 1.9L
      Could even finish my 2.3L Turbo Ford Ranger!
      Hell even a Chevy S-10 could be fun!

I guess what it will take is the patience to keep the dream alive... I have spent so long feeling as though I could not and would never be able to dream again... especially after being laid off so many times and accruing so much debt.

By making that list you just pointed out one of the great frustrations of any gearhead, regardless of budget. There will always be more cool cars and ideas than there will ever be time or money. lol
      NJSPEEDER - Tim Mullaney
      New Jersey F-body Owners Association
      www.NJFBOA.org
      NJ's home for all owners, friends, and fans of Camaros and Firebirds

I'm nearing retirement and just now building my project. After many years of drivers, Camaros, sports trucks, and other street cars, none of which were capable of being in this group, and toss in a family, things get delayed. Boys are now in college and I can focus on my dream. I'm currently on year 4, or is it year 5 on my 66 coupe. It'll have everything I want, stiff chassis, built suspension, custom interior, perf brakes, etc. So...from an old guy a few simple rules. Be realistic with yourself. I went into this knowing I would never have a high end ($75K) build, or $5K Forgelines, nor a new LS3 or Coyote motor with a 6 spd. What I do have is a car that I built, with my two hands, that I can have fun, race, and enjoy. As mentioned, your proj and your daily driver should be two separate cars, you'll thank yourself later. Doing the work yourself if possible will save you an incredible amount of money. So what if it takes 3, 4, 5 years to build. Family is first. True gear heads are more than willing to share what they know. Do you have the personal drive to learn it?

Quote Originally Posted by NJSPEEDER View Post
      By making that list you just pointed out one of the great frustrations of any gearhead, regardless of budget. There will always be more cool cars and ideas than there will ever be time or money. lol
      The 16 cars at my house would agree with you lol
      Traven

One thing to remember. Many of the items needed cost the same no matter what kind of car. The price difference comes in two areas. 1) the initial car purchase 2) the level of every decision after that. A "Street Machine of the Year" contender car will cost $300K+ no matter what you start with (69 Yenko Z-28 or a 74 vega). Want to go fast on the cheap? Buy a 2000 'vette for $16K and put tires on it. Want to build it for under $20k? pick and choose carefully. We helped the guys at Black Widow Mufflers build their S-10 Drift/crosser and they have less than 20 in it. - and a lot of work. It's simple, it works, and it's a blast to drive. Shop on RaceJunk, Race Desert, and craigslist. You can do it if you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      Basically what everyone is saying is that if you want something bad enough you will do what is necessary to acheve it. This is not a pro-touring specific situation, it applies to everything you do in life. The guys above have figured out what they wanted then figured out what they needed to do and have worked hard to get where they are over time and I have a great deal of respect for them.
      You & I think the same thoughts.

To the OP, when it comes to cars & racing, there will Always be somebody with more money (they inherited it, they earned it, whatever) so don't get wrapped up around keeping up with the Jones.

When I 1st got into Racing, I was determined to get to IndyCars. Even with a limited budget I almost made it and even though it cost me a fortune and a few good women, I wouldn't change a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by T_Raven View Post
      The 16 cars at my house would agree with you lol

I can help ya with that. I'll happily take the 69 and 72 Firebirds listed in your sig off your hands just to help you out. I won't even be so rude as to burden you with having to take any money.

So what's the address i should pick those up from? lol

It is the endless story. Whether I have multiple projects going on, just one, or none at all, it always seems like I can find a million cars I want to build and a million more i see in person that i can think of a million various ways to make cooler. It's all part of the addiction.
      NJSPEEDER - Tim Mullaney
      New Jersey F-body Owners Association
      www.NJFBOA.org
      NJ's home for all owners, friends, and fans of Camaros and Firebirds

Go to events--in your area, there's a Goodguys autocross (and SCCA events, which you can watch for free), where you'll undoubtedly see everything from mom's Honda Accord to somebody's six-figure Camaro being beaten on like a step-child. People love to talk; they want to educate you. Read threads by guys who make their own stuff; the most inspiring cars (to me) are the ones that are not bolt-on specials. When you've got a canvas, look for idiots like me who are selling expensive, high-quality parts cheaply to get to the next phase (however stupid it might be).

Buy cheap tools, and upgrade when you break them. Some "junk" can last a really long time...

On a final note, look at what the teams in Lemons/Chump Car do on their "cheap" race cars. They show you that a bit of engineering (and endless pondering) goes a lot further than a high-dollar part in making a car work in a performance (or commuting) scenario. To tie this to something above, I sold a bunch of really nice Mustang parts recently to a guy who worked on a rear-engined VW team (at a low price, of course)...

So many fantastic ideas! I know quite a bit of information on cars like statistics but where I fall short is technical knowledge... I have taken apart many cars but have not a good track record on getting things back together. I am a person who likes a project, but I also love to drive! so taking decades to build a car is not something I feel like I would enjoy. I had my last project for almost 3 years only to have my wife ask me when I was going to get rid of the piece of junk car. So I may have to start with something a little newer like a camaro/firebird or fox body mustang. I do kick myself because I could have bought a 1994 Pontiac firebird V-6 for $250 dollars... it even ran but I could have down the road drop in a LT1 or even LS1. Unfortunately at the time I did not have access to a garage to store or work on the car. I did find a 1979 Chevy Camaro Z-28 for $1200 that looked almost complete and in good condition.
      I have always been a person who loves hotrods as I wanted my first car to be a 1948 Dodge truck, but I ended up with a 1981 Canary Yellow Chevy LUV truck with the 1.8L 4-speed.
      I live in Columbus Ohio so the Goodguys Nationals are always something that I love to do. I have never had the finances to even attend the event until about 2 years ago. I love browsing through the vendors area to see what hot new parts and cars there are. It is actually one of my dreams to be able to attend and participate at the Goodguys Nationals someday. The only issue is that they are still under the older format of 1972 and older cars. Which of course does not help any budget that I could have to build a car. I may try to make it out to Indy Goodguys some year since they are allowing newer cars compete in the event.
      I hear you on the Corvette idea! I at one point thought about buying an 02 or 03 model Z06 as they are factory track setup, but all of a sudden the prices have gone through the roof for the C5 vettes... I used to be able to find the early years for almost $10k but now they have doubled in price.

I find projects like this that could be a decent start of a project especially for this price!
      http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/5083733877.html

Or something like this?
      http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/5046175534.html

Quote Originally Posted by NJSPEEDER View Post
      I can help ya with that. I'll happily take the 69 and 72 Firebirds listed in your sig off your hands just to help you out. I won't even be so rude as to burden you with having to take any money.

So what's the address i should pick those up from? lol

It is the endless story. Whether I have multiple projects going on, just one, or none at all, it always seems like I can find a million cars I want to build and a million more i see in person that i can think of a million various ways to make cooler. It's all part of the addiction.
      I totally understand. I wish I could be satisfied with pictures or models of certain cars. I know how I would build so many and just want to build them all.

That's why I'm always dragging new stuff home. I'm been gone since Feb, but in the 2 years before that I averaged a car a month.

It's an addiction and I've gotta get my fix by bringing something else home lol. A lot of times I've been excited to build a car and when I get one I lose interest. The thrill is more in the hunt I guess. I manage to make money on most cars I sell though, so it works out.
      Traven

I'm 21 and I have been the sole person funding the build of my camaro. I guess I was lucky because in HS I worked in construction each summer and socked all that money away, then in college I got involved in a well paying co op program for engineering (and with scholarships school has basically been covered).
      I do all the work myself with a lot of help from my uncle who is a mechanic and my father who was a body man, but if you can do all the installation and body work yourself you save yourself a lot of money.

Also a lot of guys here buy stuff new, but you can scavenge a lot of stuff from junkyards, swap meets & craigslist to keep costs down on the big items.

Quote Originally Posted by 06RangerSTX View Post
      I am a person who likes a project, but I also love to drive!
      There in lies the Rub! Projects take time, sometimes alot of time (just for Paint Prison threads) and in that time you will not be driving.

The Best Project is getting someone else's stalled project. Pennies on the Dollar and some of the work is done!

I love to drive but have picked up many projects over the years. A lot of the Projects I regret doing as it took me away from racing

I'm just glad you're considering 33 young! (34 here, feels old occasionally...)

I started with a restored car, great paint and decent everything else as I wanted nothing to do with body and paint, figuring suspension and wheels would be it. In the few months since then I've added a TKO, seats, CF hood, brakes and now a complete lsa supercharged L92 longblock to the pile of parts haha. However, I'm single and have a pretty decent job so while it's killed my checking account it hasn't quite taken too much to sacrifice. In the end I feel I'll have too much money in the car compared to what I see some sell for on here with similar stuff! But my plan is to daily drive it as much as I can rather than race, so in terms of that it's hardly going to depreciate compared to a new vette;)

My advice, of course make as much as you can, but if you are single it's easy to sacrifice vacations, fancy food, etc. If you have mouths to feed not so easy!

hate to be johnny few words but... nothing is wrong with racing a fox body or a 4th gen camaro.

heck i run PT events in a miata. it's LS swapped and that gets me in, but nothing wrong with the small money performers.

This is the kind of car you want to start a build with:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/5090553234.html

What a cream puff! Leave the paint alone, save money for suspension and brakes, and drive the wheels off it! I bet you get that car for $12K...and have a really cool car for under $20K

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      This is the kind of car you want to start a build with:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/5090553234.html

What a cream puff! Leave the paint alone, save money for suspension and brakes, and drive the wheels off it! I bet you get that car for $12K...and have a really cool car for under $20K

Andrew
      That would make a killer starting point. Enjoy as is for a while and make improvents as you wish. I've started to develop a thing for Cougars. A buddy just restored a 67, stuck a later 69 hood scoop on it. It looks killer. They share the Mustang suspension too don't they?
      -Nick
      -1967 GTO I drive and race
      -Build threads:
      -http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615847&page=23
      -https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...project-thread

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com