Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Project Advice

Country Flag: United States

Project Advice

Hey everyone, I have a new project and need some advice. My plan is to remove bumpers, fenders, engine/trans/mechanical bits, windows/windshields, and then start stripping paint/rust. I had a couple general questions since I have next to no body work experience. The car will be a driver, not a show car, but I want it looking nice.

1) What's the "best" way to strip the whole car? I have seen 3m Plastic Bristle discs you place on a side grinder that seemed to work well, would those be better than an 80 grit disc on a DA sander?
      2) For the undercarriage, should I use the same process or a wire wheel or something else?
      3) Once I strip it down, I need some sort of protection from rust since this will be a long term project. I don't know who is going to paint it or which paint they will use, is there a primer that will protect the car without causing headache down the road? (I read some brands don't like to play well with others)
      4) I assume there will be some rust in frame rails or areas I cant physically reach, should I spray some sort of rust converter in there? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

James
      1969 Mustang Fastback

Do not use the 3m bristle discs on your sheet metal. It would take two forevers anyway. 80 grit on a DA is the way to go if these are your only two options. Depending on your budget, there are several ways to do this, from media blasting, chemical stripping (very messy), sanding etc. A wire wheel will not take the undercoating off in this millennium. Once you've stripped the body to bare metal you'll need to have a good self etching primer available to stop surface rust. Frame rails will need to have a coat of Dupont Extend or equivalent. As far as primer use a good 2K primer (meaning its 2 part epoxy) I use Metalok, it's self etching and epoxy. I'm sure others will chime in later. Most have really good ideas.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Save yourself a lot of headache and have it blasted. you will never get it as clean as media blast.It will clean up all the nasty rust and you will see what you really have to deal with. To protect the metal use epoxy primer.

Carl, did you mean metalock? metalok seems to be a dupont adhesion promoter not an primer, but metalock is a product from SEM which is a company I'm not familiar with.

I read that it'd be $700-1000 to get the car blasted, and wasn't sure if it was really worth it if I'm willing to put time in sanding. That money can go towards something else, and I've heard tons of stories of blasting warping panels and getting media stuck forever in nooks/crannies.

When you say media, do you mean plastic? Will that get all the tough rust out?
      James
      1969 Mustang Fastback

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com