Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Canada

Canadian Restoration Shops

I would like to hear some suggestions or experiences with resto shops in the Toronto area?

Two shops I am thinking of going with are Legendary Motor Car and The Guild.

Thanks

Country Flag: United States

From watching TV, those are the only ones I would know.... :-). Seems like the drama would be less at Legendary and Peter Klutt comes across to me as a pretty cool guy.
      Steve

the guild [just from watching TV] doesn't look too appealing.

The guild definitely has drama but how much is it done for tv?....legendary is absolutely top notch. I visited it years ago in my chevelle I'm 36...peter saw a mid 20's kid with a 70ss and tried to scoop me on it. He wanted me to sell him my car which wasn't for sale for peanuts. I've also heard that unless you're spending huge $ there, they don't seem to want to spend anytime with you.
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Dasilva Motorsports ... Honest, reliable, knowledgeable, professional and shop rate is reasonable. I wouldn't have trusted my car build anywhere else

https://www.facebook.com/DasilvaMotorsports

From magazine article ...

Build it right ... 'The 2nd Time !!'
      69' SS/RS X11 PRO-TOURING E-Force LS7 - SOLD
      2 Custom FJ40's -SOLD
      Next - "Killer Piggy" & 77' 911 Hotrod

lmao wasnt this the exact conversation that we had this afternoon Steve ? nice to see you and again awesome camaro

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

The only one I know and recommend for that type of work is JH Restorations. Sorry, I don't know the CA providences lol.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

I am going to guess you are going to pay through the nose at Legendary. The Guild looks like a bad joke on TV. I would not go to either one.

The guy who shoes our horses said the other day that he was thinking of taking his car to Gas Monkey because it seemed like they were the best around. It was all I could do to keep a straight face... :>)

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Lmao I'm in Canada...I thought for interest in what they say I'd let the guild quote my car but in all reality I love what the Dutch boys are doing in Michigan

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

I am in discussion with the guild. They are a bit slow on responding, which doesn't give me a good feeling.

One other shop that is very local to me is FYN RYDs. They seem to be honest and have been in the industry for a while. I am going to check their shop in a few weeks as they are about to relocate to a new facility next week.

Quote Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
      lmao wasnt this the exact conversation that we had this afternoon Steve ? nice to see you and again awesome camaro
      Yessir Ryan, I am VERY skeptical of any shop that I have never dealt with. The horror stories I've heard about all the shops mentioned here are absolutely ludicrous. Unless there was someone I personally knew that could vouch for a shop 100% ... trust no one !

I've seen quotes for body/paint for same car from $18,000 to $70,000 ... In all fairness though the reality is these shops have absolutely no idea what is under the current paint. Start scratching the surface of some of these cars and all of a sudden the roof needs to be replaced, a door etc... so labour goes through the roof. Thus the reason many shops won't even touch these cars anymore, and rates vary the way they do.

There is one guy north of me here, he's a PITA, he's slow (because he's so meticulous) BUT he does KILLER work and his rates are reasonable. I hate to recommend him because he is a pain, and he's slow ... BUT if you dont want your car back for a year he's your man.

Cheers
      Steve
      2 Custom FJ40's -SOLD

Jeff...the shop you're thinking about is in Windsor from what I recall..thats in ontario, across from Detroit..
      Steve is that the ship which did your camaro?

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Nope, unfortunately the shop that did mine went out of business last fall. Such a shame, great honest guy ... bad area with TONS of cheap competition, nobody wants quality these days for collision repairs
      Like many shops, he did resto jobs on the side
      2 Custom FJ40's -SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      The guy who shoes our horses said the other day that he was thinking of taking his car to Gas Monkey because it seemed like they were the best around. It was all I could do to keep a straight face... :>)

Don
      I run into those folks who think they are the greatest around here all the time. I puke in my mouth... and try not to say anything. I think it was last year when they set up the trailer and did autographs at the Texas Motor Speedway Goodguys. People were lined up for an hour to get a picture and an autograph. Really?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com