Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

My budget '71 GMC Sprint (El Camino)

I've had the itch for an El Camino for years but never got around to scratching it. One day, I was bored and started looking on Craigslist to see what was available and this '71 GMC Sprint popped up. It was a combo deal with a boat, but the seller was willing to seperate, to which he said he would. It was semi-rough as it had a little damage here and there. It would need a fender an the hood replaced at a minimum. It also had the wrong grill ('72 was installed) an El Camino tailgate and the emblems were mostly pitted or broken. The "GMC" badge was also missing and is considered unobtanium, but otherwise it was complete. Most importantly, being a recent AZ transplant (not that West Texas cars are shabby either) meant it was nearly rust free.
      I made an offer and drove it home. It ran like crap for the first 3 miles, but we stopped at the gas station on the way to my storage and put fuel in. Looks like it did the trick since it started running like a champ the more I drove (it was a 15 mile drive).
      Plans for this car are not overly ambitious so as to remain within a reasonable budget. I am swapping the basic sbc currently installed for one I had pulled from another project. Nothing crazy but a bit hotter than the engine it came with (built 492 heads, Edelbrock intake & carb, etc.).

I currently have a lifted '05 F250 which is the go-to truck for my wife so I am going to line the bed so as to be useable for regular truck duty as well.

Here it is in my warehouse (which I've since converted to a full-service shop) the first night under my ownership:

This is after some bodywork had begun.:

More to follow.

Front end torn apart beginning teardown:

Getting the front chassis and firewall sprayed:

After bodywork:

Country Flag: United States
      Love it! Even cooler that its a GMC. Rock on!
      1967 El Camino 408ci LSx....and the build begins!
      1967 Turbocharged 408ci LSx Chevelle - 1012 rwhp, 959 rwtq 67 Chevelle
      2009 Supercharged Silverado - On the Dyno

Thanks. Looking at my title, I'll admit "budget" is relative. However, I know I won't be over $30k turn-key, which wasn't bad overall. A big help has been the lack of rust, although it did require a new hood and passenger fender due to previous damage.
      I added some tubular uppers in keeping with the "pro-touring" vibe:

You can also see I installed a GM serpentine setup.
      A Right Stuff big brake kit was installed in front and all suspension bushings and any worn components have been replaced with new. I also installed a 12.7:1 ratio AGR steering box. However, I have since replaced it with their variable ratio box and will be installing the quick-ratio in my '71 Nova as this is destined to be a cruiser with hauling capability.
      Here it is on some Ridler 20" rims. These are place-holders as I am going to be installing a set of Rushforth Rated-X wheels shortly. The front has the Eibach springs installed, rear still has the stock setup.

Finally sprayed. The original color was Placer Gold, but it never grew on me enough to go back to original. I figured since its not numbers-matching and I am shaving the badges, etc., I would go with a color I've always liked since I saw it: BMW Interlagos Blue:

definately subscribed to this...i have a love for el caminos too, although this is a sprint its pretty close anyway

Thanks. It's been an ongoing (slow) project for the last year. I just figured I'd document it in case folks were interested and had similar projects and questions I could help out on. Hopefully it will be turnkey by summertime. I have a bad habit of picking up too many project cars at once (this is one of several right now), compounding my frustrations.

SS hood:

Laying down the Dynamat. I want this to be a comfy cruiser and I will also be adding a nice audio system with amps, component speakers and subwoofers.

Love it.....another Elco/Sprint on here!

We finally slapped the Rushforth wheels on. My buddy who does electrical work offered to trade me some work for the Ridlers, so it seemed like a good time to just swap. Here's a preview.

Now I really can't wait to get it on the road.

It's rocking this 350 I pulled from a nother car that will be going with LS power.
      My plan is to get it on the road with this 350/TH350 combo for now and then swap to an LS2/4L65E setup I have laying around.

After going full steam on my Nova, I lost interest in this one. However, I decided to do it frame off:

New plans are to stick with SBC power but, possibly, add an overdrive trans and EFI to it.
      '71 Nova : LS3, Ridetech, 9-inch, CC Wheels, etc.
      '71 Pontiac Trans Am: 455 HO, TKO600, 17" Honeycombs, etc.
      https://www.instagram.com/impslap/

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com