Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: Canada
      love the fact it is different and killer attention to detail. tell me more about the gauges where did you get the "board" material and then how did you do the backside of them.

Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

It has been nice to get to a lot of the little details on this car. I got it driving in July of 2009 (bought it Jan 2009) and bought my house in 2010. I used to have to beg & borrow time in my dad's garage and nothing ever got 100% finished. Once I had my own garage I could do it all on my own terms. And as I've driven it I've found more and more little things to perfect.

That gauge panel is made out of 1/16" plastic engraving stock from my work. I engraved the front and then milled .040" off the backside in all the areas I wanted the LEDs to shine through. It has some hot spots from the LED placement, but I have a plan to fix that by milling less off the back in those areas. I also fine tuned the artwork for the next version.

I originally started with the stock gauge graphic with the blue tint sanded off nd I made the "SS" light up from my flush mount

And decided to try that with the gauges:

And converted the last of the teal/blue stuff to red:

Country Flag: United States
      Beautiful and tasteful work! Awesome car!
      -Ben, Your friendly neighborhood Rendering dude

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

Where can I buy some of that material from? Got some ideas floating around in my head...also how hard was it to change up the lighting on the mirror and stereo
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

nice, I remember being curious about the Beretta when it came out, liked the GTU/GTZ versions.

I can identify with the 'oddball' references; I used to have a Saturn SC1 that I swapped a DOHC from an SC2 into. great car, but it was still a Saturn, lol.
      Keith C.

I used to own a 92 GTZ with a balanced/blueprinted turbocharged Quad4. The car was crazy fast and scary once the boost hit; trying to rip the wheel out of your hands with the massive torque steer. I decided to put a stock Quad4 back in the car once my son got to driving age but he lost interest in the car. So I sold it.

I kept the turbocharged Quad4 with plans of putting it into something else but that fell through, so now it's just sitting in my garage collecting dust.
      Attached Images Attached Images      

Put the Quad in a Lotus 7.....

They make a bellhousing to make it RWD.
      2005 LeMans Blue Corvette w/ T56 & Z51 & C6Z06 Brakes, Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?64496
      2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD LLY / Allison
      2014 Chevy SS LS3 / 4 Door

Cool build. Do any of the 3800 supercharger parts fit on that motor?

Quote Originally Posted by joemac View Post
      Cool build. Do any of the 3800 supercharger parts fit on that motor?
      No... 2.8/3.1/3100/3400/3500 are the same basic blueprint but the 3.8s are 90*v6s not 60* like these. But people have put 3800s in Berettas and there was even a guy who TIG'd a flange on his 3400 plenum to use the 3800 SC. Not overly street friendly though. haha

I hit my first car show for the year. The local SUNY college has a show at their tech center and the teacher is a friend of mine. There was a girl there with a teal 91 GT 3.1/5spd she bought new. Her first new car. It's a sunroof from being an exact showroom twin of my car straight from the General. Saw it a few years ago but was driving the Camaro then. So I got some pics with it this time.

Nice ride! I love the OEM plus restoration. I also always liked the noise the old 2.8 would make pulling away from a light.

Also, I think I may take your lead on that Lumina Steering wheel and get one for my 2nd gen camaro.

Chris

Nice build, I've always liked the Beretta but could never find one when I was younger. Drove a 89 Corsica w/ a 2.8 all throughout high school and I beat the ***** out of that car and it kept going. Then had a 88 Z24 w/ a 5 speed after high school, I don't care what people say about those cars, they were great cars and could take a beating… Often thought about buying one to DD again…

Got about 99% of all the stuff done at my parents' new house now. Kinda pissed I didn't buy a place out of town...they really have a nice spot. Just been driving it a lot...I only get so many months with it before the snow flies again. Really happy with it as a DD. And it's fun to really push it on the windy back roads.

I also just got a Windows tablet/laptop from the wife for my Bday so I loaded TunerPro and the HolleyEFI software on it. I love it already...works out great. I was thinking about getting the in-dash Holley touch screen for the Camaro, but this way I can use the tablet for both cars...and use the keyboard for the heavier work. And I can post from the garage!

I had a 92 Grand Prix with that 3400 engine in HS... it was the Bane of my existence... but yours seems to be treating you much nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank View Post
      I had a 92 Grand Prix with that 3400 engine in HS... it was the Bane of my existence... but yours seems to be treating you much nicer.
      If it was stock, then you had the 3.4 LQ1 Twin Dual Cam. Those are really temperamental from what I understand...like the Quad4 in my first Beretta.

This one has the LA1 3.4 "3400 SFI"...with good old pushrods. Ran from late 90s-mid 2000s in Grand Ams, Montes, Impalas, minivans...haha. I bought mine with 4k on it in '06 from an Impala. Almost like a crate engine.

You have built a very cool car! One of those style cars that doesn't really get enough attention.

Back in 2002 my mailman stopped one day knowing I fixed cars for a living/hobby. He offered me up his 1996 Beretta that his son had gotten into an accident with. Light front end damage from going off the road. I towed it to the body shop I worked at, put it on the frame machine one Saturday and fixed the light sway. A salvage yard we dealt with sold me the parts I needed really cheap. The local speed shop had these rims as blems with a few scuffs. 16" rims, all four for $200. My PPG jobber gave me the paint and clear I wanted for it. The car was originally that magenta color, forget what they called it. I didn't want it all that way so I two-toned it and did a PPG Harlequin stripe to separate the colors.

I was all in for under $1200 for a car with a clean title and then drove it for 3 years as a daily driver. When I was done with it I sold it for $3k. Lol

Funny thing is, I kinda miss it. Cheap to drive, handled great. Whats not to like?

Glenn

1955 Chevy BelAir
      1951 Chevy 3100
      1987 Chevy Silverado

My last project....
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...my-72-Maverick!!

"Raspberry" metallic. I've actually got a buddy with one - also a 96. I'm not a big fan of the pink though...

He swapped in an '06 3500 from a Malibu with a cam and sprays his was to high 12s. 12.7 I think is the best. He has more even drivetrain work in his - self ported heads & intake, modified 4t60e auto, LSD, stall. This is his hot rod though...I gotta save bucks for the Camaro build. haha

Couple weeks ago he took it to a local road course to actually try turning with it.

Quote Originally Posted by HotRod47 View Post
      You have built a very cool car! One of those style cars that doesn't really get enough attention.

Back in 2002 my mailman stopped one day knowing I fixed cars for a living/hobby. He offered me up his 1996 Beretta that his son had gotten into an accident with. Light front end damage from going off the road. I towed it to the body shop I worked at, put it on the frame machine one Saturday and fixed the light sway. A salvage yard we dealt with sold me the parts I needed really cheap. The local speed shop had these rims as blems with a few scuffs. 16" rims, all four for $200. My PPG jobber gave me the paint and clear I wanted for it. The car was originally that magenta color, forget what they called it. I didn't want it all that way so I two-toned it and did a PPG Harlequin stripe to separate the colors.

I was all in for under $1200 for a car with a clean title and then drove it for 3 years as a daily driver. When I was done with it I sold it for $3k. Lol

Funny thing is, I kinda miss it. Cheap to drive, handled great. Whats not to like?

I had a '93 Saturn SC1 in a very similar color, I think they called it Plum. car was slow as death with the TBI SOHC 1.9, 85hp, lol. I swapped in a '94 DOHC with a '92 factory tubular header and a SPS mandrel SS exhaust. it was a pretty quick little car, 34mpgs without even trying.

every now and then, GM figured out how to build a good FWD car.
      Keith C.

Summer DD duty is done for the year. Retiring it for the winter. Realized I never updated this thread at all. Had a lot of fun with it this year. Autocrossed it for the first time! Lots of fun. Definitely will be doing more of that, and I'm stoked to try it with double the HP and RWD once the Camaro is done...

This year's projects: leather upholstery, gauge work & 2-tone paint.

I reupholstered the stock door panels with cheap speaker carpet back in 2009 when the seats were still cloth as well. Put Cobalt leather seats in a few years back and the mismatch has been bugging me. By slim chance I snatched another pair of 91-only factory black door panels to redo. Got some perforated leather on ebay and tried my hand. Not real easy, but not horrible.

Headliner has been deteriorating too. Fixed it up as best I could and recovered it. Welded in some "oh ****" handles to help span the thin area between the sunroof and door.

Got a new printer at work, too, so I cut some clear and printed a gauge panel. Took a couple iterations to get something I really liked.

So, my cheap Summit-brand paint job from 2009 was showing its age. The sun had really yellowed the flat panels, and the hood was bubbling. So...I gave it a quick 2-tone respray. I wanted to do a 2-tone in 2009, but chickened out because I had never sprayed a car before...baby steps. haha

I photoshopped my plan, and decided to move the spoiler back 5/8" for better fitment. (That's what I get for being so perfectionist on the Camaro). So I picked up a deck lid in NC when I went down to see the 4 Wide NHRA race.

Stripped the hood, scuffed all the rest & shot it with epoxy. Took it to a friend's and he shot it with Nason base/clear. Came out a little more champagne than expected, but I like it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com