Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Damn. Just damn.

Sorry to hear about your story on this. If it's any comfort, you're not alone.
      1960 Biscayne
      Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
      Damn. Just damn.

Sorry to hear about your story on this. If it's any comfort, you're not alone.
      Thanks. I know guys pour their heart and soul into these projects and sell them at a fraction of the cost. I am well aware that's the likely scenario. The question becomes at what point do I part it, sell it, or push through and hope I take less of a loss that way than any other. One of the guys on this forum who perhaps is a financial analyst could make a clean living giving guys like us advice on when to cut the cord on these projects. It's a recurring theme.
      '69 Charger TT Viper project - SOLD
      '65 Mustang Shelby clone project "almost done"

Since the engine bay was already ridiculously crowded, Kevin rerouted the cold air up and over the wheels to the turbos. The wheel here is at the upper limit of travel, and we'll make a fender liner just below the plumbing. I wish the car could sit this low all the time!

The big boxes house the air cleaners. Not pretty, but they'll be completely hidden anyway.

Mock up of the steering column.

Pedal set including DBW throttle from Lokar.

We had the inner frame rails (non structural) channeled to be able to drop the seats some.

Some of the floor, firewall, and rear floor are being constructed now.

I love me some attention to detail, like the way Kevin built this right-angle inlet for the blower on the heater core. Bought us much more room and he relocated the box to a much more civilized position.

Better shot of the engine radiator.

There are twin radiators in back now for the intercoolers to vent heat. These will blow down into the diffuser or rear pan. We’ll still run water, power, and fuel down the rocker panels.

It sucks that there are so many a-holes out there. They all want the money, but don't want ( or can't ) do the work they promised. Finish the car, and keep it, and enjoy it, you'll never loose any money that way...

Quote Originally Posted by Cop Magnet View Post
      Thanks. I know guys pour their heart and soul into these projects and sell them at a fraction of the cost. I am well aware that's the likely scenario. The question becomes at what point do I part it, sell it, or push through and hope I take less of a loss that way than any other. One of the guys on this forum who perhaps is a financial analyst could make a clean living giving guys like us advice on when to cut the cord on these projects. It's a recurring theme.
      "When to cut the cord on these projects"?
      Any reasonable financial advisor would smack you in the face at the mere mention, "I want to build a hot rod".
      End of story. Nothing cool would ever get built.
      Dude, listen.... Guys like us don't build cars like these because we're sane, or because "it's financially wise". We build them, we read forum thread after thread after thread, and we watch videos because this crap is in our blood. It's what we are. Period. You don't need to have anyone tell you when it's "become unreasonable". Frankly, most of us will never have a chance to have anything NEAR as cool as the car in this thread. So having our time invested into how many years, and how many pages, and how many pictures feel more than a bit ripped off when someone actually living the dream decides they want to drop the whole thing.
      SERIOUSLY?!?!!?
      The damn thing looks like it could be fired up and driven around the block in less than a week. You want to give up NOW!?!!?
      You give up now, and it's dead. You and the car are forgotten, taken apart in little pieces and sold off. Then what? You going to start another project that might be more "financially sane"?

With all due respect, Sir. Of course.
      Bob

LOL, no offense taken I assure you. I can lay it bare and handle the heat that comes with that!
      Looks can be deceiving, and this car won't be on the road this calendar year I guarantee.
      As far as the financial stuff, yes I knew going in it would be a money pit. It's a question of how much of a money pit and more specifically am I going to wind up throwing more money at it after my breaking point than I will make back. Not make money, make back, i.e. if I throw another 100k in the ring will it be worth $150k? If so, it makes sense to stop now.
      Anyway, I am just venting. Especially as after so many years of having the money and nothing happening, now my business is in a slump and the end is still not in sight. I am planning on pushing through unless someone else wants to live this dream. I want to drive a car some day soon. That's part of the dream, too.

Glad you took my swift kick to the balls in good nature.
      Not that I didn't mean it, but you know.... ;)
      Rock on man, I get it. Would love to watch this come to fruition though. Hope things work out for you. Not just this car, but in your business too.
      Are you at liberty to say what you do?

Doctor. That explains a lot, huh?
      Business will be ok. Just some billing issues. Still doing the work, so it’ll come eventually.

Yea, that explains a lot. Oh well..... We all look up to somebody, right?
      I just watched a new video about "Big Red", that's so far out of my budget, it makes yours almost look "within reach".
      Rock on though. I hope things go well for you, and the project both.

Thank you, sir.

Ill play the financial advisor's devils advocate... its a poor financial decision to sell a car like this. Unless you need the money, let it sit. It doesnt cost you anything (except storage fees maybe?). I hit a major roadblock in my own project and ended up letting it sit for 3 years. I was so upset I actually logged out of all the car forums that were related to the car. I layed awake at night thinking what had I done, what a waste of money, etc... Sometimes a mental pause is good to clear your head and come up with plan of action. Im willing to bet there are more people on here than you realize that have been though or are currently in a similar situation. Building a car like this is so far from "cut and dry" that its simply impossible to put a budget and timeline on it. Especially when you can persuade yourself to say "if its better its worth the extra $100 or its worth the extra X hours of labor" Im VERY guilty of it, and when you say that to yourself 100 times over the course of a month/year/whatever it snowballs very quickly because you want the rest of the car to be on-par. Nothing wrong with that, just not time-efficient.

Keep on it. Ive read through this thread multiple times because its such a cool and unique build. Id love to see it all come together, Im sure you would too.
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

Quote Originally Posted by vette427-sbc View Post
      Ill play the financial advisor's devils advocate... its a poor financial decision to sell a car like this. Unless you need the money, let it sit. It doesnt cost you anything (except storage fees maybe?). I hit a major roadblock in my own project and ended up letting it sit for 4 years. I was so upset I actually logged out of all the car forums that were related to the car. I layed awake at night thinking what had I done, what a waste of money, etc... Sometimes a mental pause is good to clear your head and come up with plan of action. Im willing to bet there are more people on here than you realize that have been though or are currently in a similar situation. Building a car like this is so far from "cut and dry" that its simply impossible to put a budget and timeline on it. Especially when you can persuade yourself to say "if its better its worth the extra $100 or its worth the extra X hours of labor" Im VERY guilty of it, and when you say that to yourself 100 times over the course of a month/year/whatever it snowballs very quickly because you want the rest of the car to be on-par. Nothing wrong with that, just not time-efficient.

Keep on it. Ive read through this thread multiple times because its such a cool and unique build. Id love to see it all come together, Im sure you would too.
      Well said and you are correct, I also had a similar situation with my build. Hell, the owner of the shop my car was at went to jail for a couple of weeks during the process and when I found out I was beating my self up thinking how big of a mistake I made. Now mine is done and I actually drive it once a week and I’m glad I did finish it. Worth much more finished then in pieces.

Dang man, this SUCKS. Unfortunately this forum is full of stories like this. Makes me super thankful I found a good guy straight away. I doubt it'll make you feel any better, but even with a good guy, I still blew my budget 4 times and spent more on my car than I did my house... which sounds so completely stupid to me every time I say it.

That said, and as others have said, you're at a hard spot to to try to ditch the thing now. Anybody looking for a project is going to see this as a basket case, and basket cases usually mean a lot of money. You really have to have a finished car to get out of it anywhere close to what you've got in it. Which is a hard pill to swallow. You just gotta figure out which of the two hard pills you want to go for.

I tend to side with the others. Finish the car and keep it forever and enjoy the hell out of it. Also keep in mind, just because you went over the top with everything so far, doesn't mean you have to keep doing that. I'm not saying cut corners, but maybe if there are ideas that are going to cost you a lot more, scrap those, and just finish the darn thing.

Just my .02

Dan
      A.K.A: That bald guy
      Find me on Facebook or my personal website.

- 67 Camaro: Current Project Car

Quote Originally Posted by 67SSDan View Post
      ....... I still blew my budget 4 times and spent more on my car than I did my house.....
      You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house.
      Just sayin'.

My two cents: finished is better than perfect.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      My two cents: finished is better than perfect.

Andrew
      I need to steal this for my signature...that said my car has been out of commission for a couple of years now LOL.

Cop Magnet, this build is one of my favorites. I had a similar situation on a much more mundane scale, now I'm afraid to let anyone work on it.

Your charger is insane and I hope you are able to finish and enjoy it!!!
      1973 Firebird 466 Pontiac, T56, C5 Brakes, PTFB and Hotchkis suspension
      2011 Camaro SS Supercharged, ZL1 body and brakes, Z28 suspension.

LOL, no offense taken I assure you. I can lay it bare and handle the heat that comes with that!
      Looks can be deceiving, and this car won't be on the road this calendar year I guarantee.
      It could be. It's up to the decisions you make and the trade-offs you're willing to accept.

As far as the financial stuff, yes I knew going in it would be a money pit. It's a question of how much of a money pit and more specifically am I going to wind up throwing more money at it after my breaking point than I will make back. Not make money, make back, i.e. if I throw another 100k in the ring will it be worth $150k?
      Serious question - did you have a budget going into this project? Or did you have an idea of what you were willing to spend? If you did and you went over, well that happens, all i can say is a plan would have helped you keep things in scope. If you didn't, and you started the project with an open checkbook, well, you get ... this.

As Andrew pointed out, Finished is better than perfection. Have you seen shows like Roadkill? Sometimes is really is worth it to just finish it to the point of being capable of being driven. Cosmetics can be done later. In fact, you may enjoy it so much that the cosmetics really don't matter.
      chunger

'68 Ranchero 500
      '70 Cougar XR-7 Convertible
      '98 Mustang GT Convertible

Thanks, guys. I hear a lot of truth and wisdom in everything you all have said. More importantly, I really appreciate your honesty and perspective. It’s good to know that I am not alone, and even though I’ve expressed doubts, you all at least still feel where I am coming from. I do plan on pushing through with this car. It’s been at a flat spot for a long time, but the shop that it is at now is high-quality no question. Storing the car is, unfortunately, what happened against my will. It wound up sitting and not getting much work done, which is even more frustrating than voluntarily storing it.

The other thing about the many years that go by, is that things get dated, cutting edge technology becomes “older“ if not obsolete, and styles change. That’s why I won’t commit to paint or wheels until it is nearly done. But I digress, as I am really not in a position to complain about finish choices!

Thanks for all your support and words of encouragement!

Spray that sucker with truck bedliner, and go do some burnouts.

Sorry about your setbacks, like everyone else I would vote to push on.
      The last two years progress has been tough for me as well between house repairs and a super busy work schedule, my GTO has been sitting.
      Doing most of the labor myself that I will never recoup if and when I ever sold, like all of our cars the end product will be worth it.
      It is hard when we go so far from stock parts that just bolt on, the time I spend making a couple brackets that will never be seen by most people, it adds up to weeks, then years so yeah I get the whole project creep thing.

I keep an Excel spread sheet for parts and labor that I hope my wife doesn't find!
      Eric
      Building 1969 GTO - Roadster Shop chassis, LQ9 w LS3 heads and rebuild parts from TSP, Bowler prepped Magnum T56 6 spd, 3 Link Strange 9" w Speedway Floater Hubs, Wilwood 14" F - 13" R brakes, 275.18 - 345.19
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/94970-69-GTO-Build

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com