Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

66 Chevelle rear seat has no support

they were recovered but it doesn't feel like new padding or anything was used, they have zero support. Looking around it doesn't look like there is a kit available, so do I just find a local upholster shop to redo it? And how much should it cost? The covers are perfect and new, just everything under is suspect. Heck I may even consider wanting to get the seat guts blasted and painted..

I just don't know how to determine if the frames are worth saving or look to a repro or something.

Again just kind of wading water out here.

thanks
      Tory

Livermore, CA
      American:
      1966 Chevelle SS "Tribute" Retro / Pro-Tour
      For Sale

The rear seats don't have foam like the front ones. The rear seats were stuffed with cotton batting and had a layer of burlap to hold it all together.

they are sooo spongy maybe the springs are shot more than anything.. I'll have to take them apart I guess

Thanks J
      Tory

Livermore, CA
      American:
      1966 Chevelle SS "Tribute" Retro / Pro-Tour
      For Sale

Local upholstery shop should be able to provide some additional padding for you. I would remove the covers myself before taking them in to cut down on cost if they bill by the hour.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

The rear seats were super basic. Basically like what was said above, there was one layer of springs, and a thin layer of padding, then the covers. There might be something that can be done by tying the springs more together with wire or such, but otherwise there's nothing wrong with them... just the way things were back then.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com