Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

1965 4v twin turbo Falcon

Hi,
      Figured I'd might as well start a build thread for my Falcon. I bought this car when I was 15 and restored it while limping a half finished car to school everyday. I'd work on it until late at night and every morning I'd rush to put it back together enough to get to school. Once I went to college, it got thrown on wheel dollies, spun sideways and shoved to the back of the garage with a car cover at my parents house.

Fast forward 20 years. I decided to pull it out and finally build it how I always wanted to but could never afford it on the minimum wage after school jobs.

This is the first time the car saw the light of day in 2 decades.

I didn't like how the bumpers felt tacked on. So I sectioned both sides 1" and tucked them into the side of the fenders.

Not going to have a front plate. So I cut it out, sectioned the opening and am going to build a spot for a couple of foglights.

The factory unibody frame not going to be a good idea. So I put the car on a rotisserie and pulled it all along with all the wiring, brake lines, etc. A friend owns a chassis shop. So I bought it over to his shop where we could put it on a chassis table and build something MUCH better. So to get it there, I had to build a makeshift chassis out of 4x4s and caster wheels.

Stripping the car down. Making sure its extremely straight.

Loading it on the trailer.

AT THE CHASSIS SHOP:

The car on the chassis table.

Full length tube chassis.

Mustang II front end

In order to have enough room, we recessed the firewall 2". Test fitting the 4v 4.6

Tin work all done.

First time on the ground with the new chassis

On it's way back home.

BACK AT HOME.

I want a race car disguised as a street car. I also want all of the creature comforts. So the car will be getting a full interior. Interior sprayed with Lizard Skin.

I was going to retro fit a 2010 interior into the car as much as possible. Being plastic though, it wasn't going to very easy to modify parts to fit.

So I decided to make fiberglass panels and have them leather wrapped. First plan was to use foam insulation panels and carve them out. Since resin eats a way at this type of foam, I planned on wrapping it all in plastic first. The problem was that the plastic would pull up every time I tried to brush resin on. These are the panels pre-shaped.

I decided to use 2 part foam. It won't get eaten by resin and it'll allow be to fit the pieces a little better.

So I lined the whole area with plastic and made cardboard block off panels.

Foam poured in. The stuff sets really fast. So I did it in 4 parts.

First initial cut

Shaping with air sanders. Still really roughed in. I figure the back should take 4 pieces to fit around the roll cage.

Looking good. Subscribed!

Cool!
      Dan
      1971 Chevelle Maliboo Convertible 496/4L80E
      1956 210 2 door Sedan 8-71 blown 468/T400

Going to watch this one. Cool build!

Tell me some details about the foam, please. Which 4.6 are you using?

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by wfo guy View Post
      Tell me some details about the foam, please. Which 4.6 are you using?
      It's a 2 part pour foam. Pretty sure it's also used in boats. This is where I got it from. Although you can probably find some place local. I works really well and dries like a rock in about 20 minutes. Bit of advice, use gloves. It's not corrosive, but its a pain in the ass to get off your hands. We have fingerprint scanners at work and it completely filled in my prints, lol. I had to go to security and explain so they would just let me in.

http://www.expresscomposites.com/repair.html

I'm using a TEKSID 4.6 with an MMR 1500hp rotating assembly.

Definitely following this.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodler View Post
      Thanks guys!

It's a 2 part pour foam. Pretty sure it's also used in boats. This is where I got it from. Although you can probably find some place local. I works really well and dries like a rock in about 20 minutes. Bit of advice, use gloves. It's not corrosive, but its a pain in the ass to get off your hands. We have fingerprint scanners at work and it completely filled in my prints, lol. I had to go to security and explain so they would just let me in.

http://www.expresscomposites.com/repair.html

I'm using a TEKSID 4.6 with an MMR 1500hp rotating assembly.
      Not sure if your aware but you can use the pink house foam panels you just have to use a 2 part epoxy resin instead of a Polyester or Vinyl ester resins. Guys build custom kayaks out of it all the time. Epoxy resin is not that much more expensive when you consider the cost of 2 part foam. Love the Falcon BTW, Nice build!
      Travis L

Nice project looking forward to seeing more. Subscribed!
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Love it. A man after my own heart. I just missed out on a 64 I was going to run 25.2 with twins on a small block. Looking again. I now have a 4.6 DOHC in a 63 Fairlane that I'm deciding on a power adder for.

The car looks killer. Keep it up and keep us posted!

Dave
      63 Fairlane 4 door (R&C MII, Vortech Si, 4.6 DOHC/4R70W,8.8")
      02 F250 7.3 with a few things done to it.
      We've turned from a Nation of We, to a country of me's.

The Falcon builds are starting to come on strong! Nice work. Keep us updated on the progress.

Quote Originally Posted by ProMav71 View Post
      Not sure if your aware but you can use the pink house foam panels you just have to use a 2 part epoxy resin instead of a Polyester or Vinyl ester resins. Guys build custom kayaks out of it all the time. Epoxy resin is not that much more expensive when you consider the cost of 2 part foam. Love the Falcon BTW, Nice build!
      Yeah, I started looking around at what I would need vs shaping the pink foam. The 2 part foam sands and shapes so well. Plus the panels seem to fit better in the car because they fit the form of the car. I've got the back and rear panels almost all shaped. I'm sure my neighbors just love me with the air sanders going all the time, lol! I'll try and get updated pics posted this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
      Love it. A man after my own heart. I just missed out on a 64 I was going to run 25.2 with twins on a small block. Looking again. I now have a 4.6 DOHC in a 63 Fairlane that I'm deciding on a power adder for.

The car looks killer. Keep it up and keep us posted!

Dave
      I tried to sell this car 3 or 4 times for a total of about a week. It would be something like a monday and I'd say, "if it isn't gone by wednesday I'll just keep it". Obviously not very motivated. In fact I had a guy call one time and I told him it was already sold. I don't really see a lot of them around. And there is just too much blood, sweat and tears into this car. People told me that if I ever sold it, i'd regret it because it happened to them. So that's always been in the back of my mind.

A friend of my dad's has a 63 Fairlane. I always like the look of them. Big brother to the Falcon I'm a turbo guy, so I say go that way. But throwing a wipple on it would be way easier and a hell of a lot cheaper. Even with the 4.0l wipple, I'd have a hard time hitting my hp goals and still making it streetable.

Quote Originally Posted by Munssey View Post
      The Falcon builds are starting to come on strong! Nice work. Keep us updated on the progress.
      Thanks!

Just a little update.

Finished shaping the back. Rear side panels are poured, shaped and speakers are fitted.

Started on the door panel:

Laid out the design after roughing in the height.

All shaped and ready to be fitted to the car.

something inside is screaming for CARBON FIBER to be laid over the foam ;-)
      Justin Novick
      Sales/Support
      Entropy Radiator / Engineered Cooling Products
      "The Sexiest Radiators For The Sexiest Hot Rods"

www.EntropyRad.com www.SpeedCooling.com

Quote Originally Posted by Justin@EntropyRad View Post
      something inside is screaming for CARBON FIBER to be laid over the foam ;-)

It would take a few layers in between the Carbon and the foam so that the resin doesnt away at the foam but I like where you're going with that idea for the doors!

I'm planning on making 2 speedster pods for the back panel. Just trying to figure out how to attach them because I'm not sure it can go together all in one piece. Right now, everything can be easily removed through the roll cage.

Carbon fiber would look pretty sweet. Never worked with it before though. Granted, this is my first time with foam. But something tells me that CF is a lot less forgiving.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com