Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Hungary

6L90E oil pan selection

Do you guys know if there is any shallow oil pan available for 6L90E?
      We plan to put this tranny in my 72 Nova but it has the truck oil pan so we have to change it.
      What are the options? Is there any aftermarket pan for us?
      Are the ZL1 and CTS-V pans shallow enough to get good ground clearance? Is there any difference between these two pans?
      Thanks.

Country Flag: United States
      The only thing I have seen is to take two 6L80 G8 pans and cut them apart and reweld them to match the 6L90 profile. Maybe something has come on the market in the last year or so that I have not seen?

Country Flag: Hungary
      Quote Originally Posted by 1989GTA View Post
      The only thing I have seen is to take two 6L80 G8 pans and cut them apart and reweld them to match the 6L90 profile. Maybe something has come on the market in the last year or so that I have not seen?
      I read this option somewhere.
      Actually I did not find any new thread about this thing which is pretty strange because these swaps getting more popular lately.

6l90E is tough. I went with a CTS-V pan but it is not much different than the truck pan. I ended up raising the trans tunnel a couple of inches and pushing the trans up into the tunnel for clearance. I was able to get away with this because I am running an Art Morrison IRS which means no driveline angle issues.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I'm going with the 6L80 pan from the G8, but my project is moving so slow I'm hoping my 6L80 pan will just evolve. ��
      1969 Camaro - LSA motor, 6L90 transmission, TCI front subframe, TCI torque arm rear suspension, Ford 9" rearend

I don't think there is too much difference between pans in the 80 and 90 form. There is not really much room to make a shallow pan though due to clearance between trans filter and TEHCM inside pan

Country Flag: Canada
      You cant go much shallow than the stock CTS-v or G8 pans or you will adversely affect your shifting performance

We trimmed down the stock CTS-v pan on our 6L90 and ran an external filter, to get some more ground clearance and we found we had to run alot more fluid to get it to shift right

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com