Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Progress! June 2016 Update

I finally have some progress to report, $27 oil prices put the project on hold for a few months, but now we should be good to go. I am scheduled for the dyno Monday, and attached are some pictures from North Carolina. On the road headed east next week with the engine, and the rest of the parts that are still here in Arizona.

Attached Images Attached Images                  

This has to be one of my favorite builds on here. Love how it's coming along.

Engine Update

Finally got the engine done, and made the drive from Arizona back to North Carolina, it was 120 degrees when I left, so I don't mind spending the summer on the East coast. We made 684 hp/ 496 tq, and it was about 110 in the dyno room that day. We estimate a little over 700 with better conditions and with oil up to operating temp, that should be more than enough. As on most of the old Nascar stuff, the teams would engrave the date of last inspection for each part. The distributor says February 1993, and other parts of the engine show dates in the same time period/late 1992. It's amazing what this old technology can do, these old Ford's just make horsepower by mistake! Redline is around 8200 rpm, single Holley 870 cfm carb, 110 octane, running Gibbs XP4 oil.

Country Flag: Canada
      Your building what just became my new dream car. Don't keep us waiting long for more updates. I need my fix.

I love it I have thought about this for some time. I found a couple (recent sprint cup mopar motors for sale) and wanted to do something. I like the OE wheel well openings compared to CY's Merc, but either way this is way cool. Keep up the great work.

Super cool project, a V8 revving to 8k and a full nascar chassis will make this one really unique car when it's done!

cool concept! i love different and this is definitely different! love it can't wait to see more!

Factory wheel openings....for now. Unfortunately the track width of the cup chassis is going require us to massage the fender openings some. Rest assured they won't just get radiused and hacked like a dirt car though. Such a shame to cut 48 year old pristine sheet metal...

Not familiar with CY's Merc, drop a link

Quote Originally Posted by Goodale Engineering View Post
      Factory wheel openings....for now. Unfortunately the track width of the cup chassis is going require us to massage the fender openings some. Rest assured they won't just get radiused and hacked like a dirt car though. Such a shame to cut 48 year old pristine sheet metal...

Not familiar with CY's Merc, drop a link

Hello,

I was being a lazy typist, but I meant Cale Yarborough (CY) picture you posted earlier. The wheel wells are trimmed slightly. Keep up the great job.

Thanks

Project In Full Swing

Just got back overseas, I spent a week in Charlotte with the guys putting it all together, I'll let the pictures explain....

and more...

I'm sure the Mercury purists hate me right about now...while the guys from MetalMaster hacked away at the body, I mocked up the engine and trans.

Last post for today, but much more to come....jetlag is killing me and the connection in this country is too slow! We set the engine height with some shims on the crossmember under the oil pan, and used the scissor jack under the tailshaft to set the drivetrain angle. I believe we set it between 1.0 and 1.5 deg, which is what they usually target with these chassis. The entire car is fixed to the surface plate, so we could used the plate's centerline in conjunction with the laser to find true center for the drivetrain components. I think we will have to shim it some at the engine plate, the trans was still sitting about 3/8" towards the driver side.

That is just awesome!

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

Jay made quick work of the hood support. The guys have been in the business since the 80's, so this type of work took them back to good old days of Nascar, when they still used factory components. The hood weighs about 10 pounds now, down from the 40+ before.

After some fender lip trimming, we dropped it on. It was much easier than I thought, once the body was on, they decided what else needed to be cut, and we pulled it back off for final trimming.

We had to use the doors and fenders to see if the rake was correct for the body. We used bar magnets and cleco's to mock these up.

After centering the body, and checking tire clearance, we trimmed some more of the wheel wells without ruining the factory wheel lip openings. It was pretty incredible to see how easy they made this look.

Then it started to look like a car

Everything went pretty smooth getting the body set up

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast