Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Threaded View

New guy here, 1951 Chevy 3100 questions

First off, let me begin by apologizing for what I am sure will be some dumb questions. A bit of background. I have a BIG background in Offroad fabrication, rockcrawlers, rollcages, chassis design,... But when it comes to hotrods.... I am a bit out of my element.

I started building cars when I was 14 with a 65 mustang, then a 68 cougar, and then went to crawlers. MY wife recently told me about her dream truck, and it got me on the hunt for a 47-54 Chevy pickup. I found one the other day and will be picking it up next weekend. Smoking deal on a relatively straight, rust free complete truck. So here are my questions:

1. I don't want the stance to be stock, however I also don't want the stance to be in the weeds. I would like a happy median, and a VERY comfortable ride for my wife. I am not adverse to throwing it on an S-10 frame, but are there better options? Airbags? Coilovers? The rear will be getting a inverted 4 link (Its what I build for crawlers).

2. If I run an IFS in the front, what do you guys recommend? Can I run a C4 or Mustang 2 front end? I do't mind cuttinga nd welding (I actually enjoy fab work).

3. How do I figure out wheel width as well as tire size? I am used to tires not even being in the fenders. Now I have to deal with a fender in the way, I want to make sure the truck can turn and not rub tires.

Any other advice you ahve for me, please let me know.

Thanks
      Dima

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com