Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Threaded View

Country Flag: United States

Slow 68 mustang - Big Girl Pearl or "Yellow Fury"

Hi!
      This is my first post here. I’m a recent transplant into Phoenix by way of New Orleans. I’ve decided to make this post because I have a few ideas and more than a few questions. I’ve been using the forums for a while as a source of inspiration for my current car. It’s a 1968 mustang coupe. I’d like to eventually end up with a car that my wife and I can hop in and take cruising on long road trips and have it perform as good as or even better than my daily driver. I’d also like to have it handle and stop far better than my DD. In short, I want my 47 year old classic to be more reliable and more fun to drive.

The Car: 1968 Mustang.
      Current engine/trans: I6 with 3 speed.
      Color: Meadowlark yellow
      Distinguishing marks: 3 bullet holes in the driver’s door and 3 ricochets on the pass quarter/roof.

So here’s the plan:
      I’d like to keep the shock towers. Why? Easier. I’d like to stay with a SBF, 351 likely. Add efi and possibly supercharge at a much later date. I’d like to stick with ‘bolt-on’ type suspensions upgrades. Why? See above and I am hoping to keep the car drivable and do the upgrades in stages. I’ve had a project in the past where I tore it all down and then lost interest/ran out of funds and it got sold off. Not going to happen this time.

I’ve spoken to Mark Savitske about the car a few times and he’s made lots of suggestions based off of what I had to work with. Since he was good enough to spend his time with me on the phone, he’s the one I went through for my parts. About 90% of all of this will be done by me in my garage at home or at a friend’s shop. (He has the welder and the AC’d shop). I don’t see myself doing a wild custom build like many others on this forum because that’s just not where my budget falls. I’ll also be taking this slowly as to keep the wife on board.

So far, all I’ve done after the initial purchase was minor tune-up stuff so there’s really no need for a build thread. It would pale in comparison to most of the rest here and be much, much slower with updates. I have purchased Baer SS4 fronts and TCP front spindles. I’d like to continue with TCP parts unless I’m convinced otherwise. I haven’t even installed the brakes or spindles since I’m not able to gather the rest of the suspension pieces and wheels just yet. But when I do, I’d like to fill in a much of the wheel tubs as possible. I’m hoping for 18X7 with a 245 front and 18X9.5 with 295 rear. I’m not sure how well that’ll work but my friend has a Wheelworks tool so we’ll be getting measurements in the next couple of weeks. My next purchase will be a rear end. The old one will be swapped out with an 8.8. 5-lug, discs, trac-lok….cheap and abundant. After that, rear springs and shocks followed by front UCAs, springs, shocks and then wheels/tires and probably frame connectors after that.

1. Make it stop
      2. Make it handle
      3. Make it go

So this is where I turn into the listener. What do I need to look out for? What should I avoid and research more? Am I crazy? Is this too timid to be considered Pro-Touring?
      Give me your thoughts and concerns…and maybe occasionally some words of inspiration.

Thanks!
      Kris - Building the poor man's '68 Mustang.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com