Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

1968 AMC Javelin Resto Mod/Track Car

Good afternoon guys and gals. I just joined this forum a few days ago and have really enjoyed checking it out. Tons of knowledge on here so i thought i would start a thread on my current project. This is the first time i have done a thread on my own project but here goes nothing. I bought my dream car a year and half ago and have slowly been accumulating the part over that time. Pretty much got everything i need minus small things here and there so i started diving into the car! Just got it back from the blaster a few weeks ago and the entire chassis was super clean! has pin holes in the lower rear quarters but thats it for rust. Has a ton of dents that were hiding but i can work with that. The goals for the car is to be a exellent road race car that i can hang with all my buddies in their modern cars at track days and autocross events. The car is staying gutted, but still street legal for the occasional show. Really trying to build a classic Trans am Javelin but with modern parts. Thats the gist of it, now i got to assemble an entire car lol. I look forward to learning a seeing your builds also. Cheers!
      Specs:
      -1968 amc javelin trans am resto
      - Control freaks tubular IFS (SLA design also known double wish bone)
      -Control freaks triangulated 4 link rear suspension
      -Viking crusader double adjustable shocks with their "track" valving.
      -Tremec magnum 6 speed (close ratio)
      -Got a couple motors laying around that ill use for now. Aluminum LH6 5.3 block im going to bore out to 3.9? to accept ls1 pistons w/valve reliefs, than pull the rotating assembly out of the LR4 4.8L because destroked crank and make a destroked 350 which would be around 310 cubes i believe. i think the low tq and high rpm hp with the close ratio trans would hook pretty good on corner exit and with how light the car is it should help. Yes i know i wish i had a destroked amc360 but i dont got a million dollars to spend on a motor just to blow it up.
      -2nd gen javelin amc 20 rear end with Detroit true trac, and 1 piece axles.
      -Wilwood 6 piston, 14" rotor up front with 4 piston 12'' rears.
      -Doss 18x10.5 flow formed wheels (20lbs each) with 275's on all four corners, want to go to 285 but need to learn the car first.
      -champion 3 core radiator with fans
      -8pt cage for now
      -sub frame connectors
      -Red white and blue trans am livery! probably alot im forgetting but thats the big stuff.

Wheel mock up

I am also a big fan of the Javelin. I'd love to have one! Definitely looking forward to following your build. Good luck!
      Mike
      1981 Camaro
      Follow on Instagram @conekiller81

SCCA Susquehanna Region CAM-T Champion - 2014, 2015
      SCCA Washington DC Region CAM Champion - 2015
      Carlisle GM Nationals Autocross Shootout Winner - 2016, 2018

Welcome, and I can't wait to see the progress.
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here
      check out Opentracker Racing Products

Quote Originally Posted by Project Bike Truck View Post
      Welcome, and I can't wait to see the progress.
      Quote Originally Posted by Schubitzky View Post
      I am also a big fan of the Javelin. I'd love to have one! Definitely looking forward to following your build. Good luck!
      thanks gentleman! Project bike truck I was just looking at your thread earlier today. Thing is sweet! I pull my track bike behind me Subaru so I get excited when I see things like that. I had goals of getting a Camino or ranchero for a tow rig. That would be so cool lol

Country Flag: Canada
      I like what you’re starting with!

Great car, may personal favorite.
      On this car the rule was 'NO CAGE', AMC Power and no major chassis cutting. It's evolved into a great car.
      I've learned so much in building, then evolving this car. I've done welding and fabrication, carbon fiber work, leaned about suspension geometry, etc.
      The confused look from younger car guys is fun, and the older guys love to see it.

Name:  image_52478.jpg
Views: 2819
Size:  198.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn0331 View Post
      thanks gentleman! Project bike truck I was just looking at your thread earlier today. Thing is sweet! I pull my track bike behind me Subaru so I get excited when I see things like that. I had goals of getting a Camino or ranchero for a tow rig. That would be so cool lol
      Thanks, I'm just grinding (literally) away at it.
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here
      check out Opentracker Racing Products

Quote Originally Posted by mike343sharpstick View Post
      Great car, may personal favorite.
      On this car the rule was 'NO CAGE', AMC Power and no major chassis cutting. It's evolved into a great car.
      I've learned so much in building, then evolving this car. I've done welding and fabrication, carbon fiber work, leaned about suspension geometry, etc.
      The confused look from younger car guys is fun, and the older guys love to see it.

Name:  image_52478.jpg
Views: 2819
Size:  198.2 KB
      Did you do a build thread on this Javelin maybe on a different forum? im almost positive i recognize it.

Yup, over on Bangshift.com. Haven't posted much lately. Focusing on getting some AMC suspension out the door to other owners so we can see more '69 and earlier AMC's and Ramblers out for some fun at an autoX and Road Course without breaking the bank. I tried to make the Trunnions work but they are just so limiting in so many ways, and when I measured the geometry for roll-center calculation It was clear some changes were needed.

I very much want to do another Javelin with a more track-day focused build, but that will need to wait. Daughter is off to College next year and my son is just turning 13, so just to busy.
      Anyway, next version will have torque arm rear suspension, my front suspension modified to have an extreemely low ride height, Big-Bad-Orange, fender flares as seen on the 1970 Javelin Trans Am racers, Cage, heat extractors on a carbon hood, and perhaps a Gen3 Hemi, etc..

I'm excited to see your build come together! Looks like a really great car to start with. I seem to remember seeing that shot with the wheels on it on facebook, I think. I'm curious to see how your motor mounts turn out. If you have a shop do them you should inquire about them making some more sets. Now if we could just sweet talk Mike into copying his hood......

great to see more AMC cars popping up, I could use the company at events, build on, build bold

Name:  IMG_6898 (2).jpg
Views: 2774
Size:  165.8 KB

Yea Rod I bet it’s a lonely road out there for us AMC guys. Beautiful Rambler by the way, that thing is popping up all over the internet! And Demon it seriously couldn’t have been any easier on me today...Mounted the tremec to the bare aluminum block to see if I could fab up some motor mounts and everything literally fits sooo good. I cut out some square plates, drilled out the bolt holes. Gonna bolt them on the block and tack it for now.

Any more progress on this bad boy this week? Did you get your driveline angle situated?

Quote Originally Posted by NastyZ28 View Post
      Any more progress on this bad boy this week? Did you get your driveline angle situated?
      the nastyz28! buuut a little bit, not much though. Got a digital protractor and set the rear end at 0 deg, cut alot more from the tunnel to get trans up. Only could get it up to neg 1.2 deg so still need to remove more. I got the length though so i ordered the drive shaft which should be here today and that will help me out a lot with finalizing the angle.

This unit going to be ready for Mid Ohio in April!?

Quote Originally Posted by LuxurySportCoupe View Post
      This unit going to be ready for Mid Ohio in April!?
      Hah a man can dream right? buuut it has the potential to be just wont look good lol.

Love your project. Daring undertaking as AMX is unfortunately such an overlooked Marquee. I look forward to reading about your progress.

Good luck!

American Gasser here in Mi gave a call sooner than expected to weld in the cage so i had to throw the rear end back on the leaf springs but at least it gave me a chance to mock up the entire front SLA conversion. Everything went together smoothly without any hiccups and its such a good feeling when you look at your setup and just grin from ear to ear.

Mounted the steering column back in and straightened out the passenger door. Almost ready to get the cage welded in. This was a photo i took pulling back in the driveway after picking up my son from daycare, Cant help but smile when i saw this.

When is this turd headed over to get the cage welded in? Season opener is only 25 weeks away!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com