Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Can we have a weight bias thread?

Really curious what guys are ending up with for weight bias, front to rear, with the awesome builds this site has on it. You guys with wagons, LS anythings, 4 doors etc. I would love for you guys to share what you're at with what if you've scaled your cars. I haven't scaled mine since it isn't rolling again yet, but will SOON. I picture this as a:
      1970 Chevelle
      LS3/T56/Ford 9"
      weight: 3650lbs, all steel, 1/4 tank of fuel, no driver
      Wheelbase: in inches
      bias: 58/42 f to r.
      I think ALOT of you builders know this stuff about your own car of others you have built, please share. Would love to know Kyle and Stacy's cars' specs, 48 Camaro/Vette, Ring Bros etc.

I have a '74 Nova hatchback. It was not bad from the factory. I moved the front axle forward 2 inches, will be moving the rear axle forward 1 inch, moving the battery to the rear, and will be replacing all of the front sheet metal with fiberglass (hood, and inner and outer fenders). The front bumper shocks are going away as is much of the front bumper itself.

The goal is 50/50 weight bias with a small block. We will see how it goes.

The calculations show it is possible. Time will tell.

What wheelbase is the Nova? My Dart is 111" and the post cars,Dusters/Demons and A body Barracudas are 108".

Same as your Dart, 111 inches. It will be 112 when I am done. I would prefer to make it shorter, but conflicting goals didn't favor that.

Mine is more than likely closer to 110 with the amount of caster it has in all honesty. If my driveshaft was short enough I would move the rear forward an inch simply by drilling a new center pin hole in the main leafs.

I'd have to check my notes but off the top of my head I'm at 57F,43R and 108" wheelbase.

I'm rearranging a few things inside the car and once done I'll weigh it again. Hopefully it gets a bit lighter and a bit more is moved to the rear.
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

I'm at 51F/49R weighing in at 3178lbs in my C4. I was able to move around some weight and take some off to get this balance. I like the handling balance with this combination.
      Talk with a local race team and have them scale your car. I was able to spend a day on the scales experimenting with different weight combinations and locations to see what worked best for my application.
      Mat
      1988 Corvette, AKA "Betsy"

"May the Schwartz be with you!"

I guess another thing of note is simple weight changes like, is battery in trunk?

I took quite a bit of weight off the front end which helped quite a bit moving the weight bias rearward. That's not all I did but that yeilded the biggest return. Lightweight wheels have a huge effect as well. I saved 9 lbs per wheel just by replacing the factory wheels with aftermarket. I wish I could say I planned it that way but I was just looking for a good looking wheel and got lucky.
      Mat
      1988 Corvette, AKA "Betsy"

"May the Schwartz be with you!"

My 89 C4 Corvette is 49.6%F/50.4%R and cross weight is 50.0%, leftside is 50.7%, and the car weighs 3008 without the driver and only a couple gallons of fuel. The cross weight and front/rear bias was with driver's weight in the car. My ride height is 4 5/8" RF, 4 3/4" LF, 4 11/16" LR, 4 1/2" RR. All 4 corners are adjustable on my car.

Note: Do not attempt to adjust your car to my specs to achieve a 50% cross weight because you will never achieve that goal. Not every car is produced the same. You may find that your car's roll center is an inch from one of the corners and/or 10 feet in the air.

If you cross weight your car, make sure that you disconnect the sway bar(s) and add driver's weight, the appropriate amount of fuel you run with, and don't forget your tire pressers. I can run an autocross with only a couple of gallons of fuel. Of course, I have to add a gallon between each run.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

ridetech has a pretty awesome database of vehicle weights with front/rear and drivetrain setup if that helps

http://www.ridetech.com/info/coiltech-2/

Can we have a weight bias thread?

1967 Valiant 2DR. All stock metal body panels and glass, with all seats and a roll bar, fiberglass front bumper, full tank of gas, heavy 18/19 inch wheels, all iron small block, aluminum 4spd trans... 3250lb. I was hoping for lighter....
      Attached Images Attached Images    

1973 Corvette Factory Primer Car
      1969 Barracuda Convertible
      1967 Plymouth Valiant

This is for a 1956 Ford F100. It is about to undergo a major transformation. You will understand if you look at the corner weights, I think the original builder may have built a twisted frame, I'll find out when I get it fixtured up.

56/44 front/rear

I plan to build a new frame and move both axles forward 1.5"

The front axle was already moved forward about 2-3" with re-profiled fender openings. I also plan to shift the engine down and back relative to where it is now. The original builder put his own subframe right in the way preventing the engine from going anywhere near as low or far back as it could (should).

Quote Originally Posted by Tomswheels View Post
      54F, 46R. 880LF, 870 RF, 730LR, 770RR, 3250 total. I was hoping for lighter....
      Yet it handles like a go-cart!

heres my 71 maverick. it has an 8 point cage, 9" rear, battery in the trunk, no back seat. racing seats, and sound deadener from the firewall to the back of the trunk. also it has my 215 lb butt in the drivers seat
      Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  46.7 KB
      71 maverick.
      71 comet in build process.
      i work at Current Auto Performance www.currentautoperformance.com. i also build the differentials for San Diego Gear and Axle.

That is pretty awesome^^^^, do you have glass front end parts at all? If not, 50/50 should be doable IMO.

it has a carbon fiber hood, a steel bumper and fenders. oh and that was with just over 1/4 tank of gas. i think an aluminum block would be just the ticket to get to 50/50!
      71 maverick.
      i work at Current Auto Performance www.currentautoperformance.com. i also build the differentials for San Diego Gear and Axle.

I wish I could drop 350 lbs off the front and run with you in CAM-S Bry...

1973 Corvette Factory Primer Car
      1969 Barracuda Convertible
      1967 Plymouth Valiant

Tom, pull that boat anchor no power engine out, and put a 350lb lighter aluminum 4 cylinder in. You know it will make more power!!!
      just kidding, but doesnt the tubular front suspension coil over clips for those car drop near that much weight, then some aluminum heads and you should be close!
      Tom, thank you for all you help at the autocrosses.
      71 maverick.

53.6/46.4 F/R weight bias
      3488 lbs curb weight no driver
      68 Firebird (see signature).
      I've lightened the front a lot with aluminum heads and intake, fiberglass hood and TCI Engineering front subframe (with rack-n-pinion steering etc.). battery in trunk. TCI Torque-arm rear susp may have added some in the rear as well. Lighter front brakes, and Corbeau seats. Car handles pretty well for AutoX and track.

2nd place at Good Guys FL 2015
      https://youtu.be/DuLrqhgR2j0

Name:  20160119_210413.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  164.8 KB
      Name:  jpeg2.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  64.0 KB
      -Mitch
      G8 GXP, White Hot, Auto, bone stock
      68 Firebird, 428 Pontiac, CNC'd KRE Al d-ports, hyd roller, EFI, TKO600, TCI Eng complete chassis, Ridetech, Kore3 C6Z brakes, C5Z 18" with 315 rivals x4, C6zr1 mufflers
      RRR, NASA HPDE https://youtu.be/DPp1l9-FuNE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com