Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: 17" minilites

Country Flag: United States

17" minilites

I don't understand why minilite wont make a 17" wheel. Their spoke design looks the absolute best in my opinion. PS engineering, Team3, and others look pretty good, but not even close to the real minilites. Panasport looks pretty close but kind of gaudy with the exposed bolts. Can a 17" rim use the same center as a 15" with a step out to 17" in the outer rim while still having adequate space for big brakes in the back? It doesn't seem that difficult, but I don't know about these things. The one thing I do know, is that if someone made a wheel that "looked right", they wouldn't be able to make them fast enough. Chime in everybody, maybe if there is enough interest expressed manufacturers will take notice. Come on Minilite, I love your wheels and desperately want them in 17" for my car!

The step up to larger diameter wheels typically allows larger brakes and if you have a step down on the hoop to make 15" centers fit a 17" hoop, you may create a limitation that may have caliper interference. Most spoked wheels have a curve to the backside of them to clear calipers and a 1" step down could seriously impact that. I don't know how wide this step down needs to be to provide adequate lateral support, but I surmise it can't just be a small lip the center welds to. There also are some pretty monster calipers out there that are taking up ever increasing amounts of real estate inside the rim that can create interference. Just taking a stabbing at it, I'm not a wheel engineer.

IMO, PS Engineering wheels missed the look entirely. Team 3 is very close. Close enough I'm willing to live with it.

I've spoken to Minilite a couple times about this and they have no desire to go large because their primary target is historic/vintage and sports car racing where rule limitations prevent them from stepping up in diameters. Their primary customer base has no need, so they don't want to step outside their market.

FWIW, Minilite will experiment with different widths. I had them quote 9, 9.5, and 10 inch widths. But, they were all limited to 15" diameters.
      TonyC@HP2

Superlite is a good wheel that looks right, but I don't think they make anything bigger than a 16"

Also someone must be making these minilite style wheel for Dodge

NewGen makes a minilite in larger diameters. I purchased a set from Jon about a year ago. They took longer to get than quoted and the finish was not as nice as my Boze wheels but they are nice wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
      Superlite is a good wheel that looks right, but I don't think they make anything bigger than a 16"
      Correct. they look good, but are limited to 16". Probably not bad for competition tires, but not great for street tires.

Quote Originally Posted by 68EFIvert View Post
      NewGen makes a minilite in larger diameters.
      New Gen misses the mark too. Its a nice interpretation, but does not duplicate the look close enough for my interest. They look similar to PS Engineering, which I don't care for either.
      TonyC@HP2

I'm looking for a set of 17x9.5 or 17x10 but very few seem to come close to clearing my c6 front calipers. Team III may with a spacer, but waiting on confirmation. Has anyone else had any experience with these?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com