Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

best security systems for classic cars

My wheels: 1966 Lemans convertible. Without breaking the bank what is a good security system?? With all the money in our cars and all the hours spent working on it, what kind of security system do you have. I expect to pay $400/500 for the system. Are the ones with phone service really worth it? I will probably not be more than a 1/2 mile away from the car no matter where I go. I plan on a tow sensor and a movement sensor and inside air psi change so someone leans into the car too far with top down the alarm goes off and the clicker warns you] with a 1 mile warning alert. I am looking at a basic Viper system with additional sensors$500].
      Most of us are within a 1/2 mile of our cars when at car shows, movies, motels,restaurant, shopping and other places we go so is a $50/90 year tracking and moving sensor like Lojak [plus an xtra 500 in sensors worth it???
      I tried a security systems search and got NOTHING!! Is the security of our cars NOT a priority? This subject should be a Sticky thread if enough people answers

I'm curious as well.

Take battery with you lol.....I'm gonna have at least 3 different kill switches but a REAL anti theft system would be nice.

I haven't researched alarms that much, I figure people see alarms as a nuisance, and ignore them anyways. I'll put one in future cars as a deterrent, but there is no perfect alarm. I figure a $150 Viper is as good as anything, throw a tilt sensor and a way to inform you (do they have that for smart phones?), that will help. But I always run a starter kill, and a sneakier ignition kill (they get it cranking, but it won't light), and if I'm on the road, I'll either remove the distributer wire if it's an HEI car, or pop off the rotor on an older type ignition.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

I agree that I also have the possibility of someone breaking in and DRIVING my car away taken care of. But not to long ago there were a bunch of hi value Mopars stolen from different venues and they were either drug off and later loaded in transporters or they stole them AND the trailers they were in and did the same. The best most time honored form of security is still Smith and Wesson.

It's not really an alarm thing but I'm doing a removable steering wheel. I figure no wheel is a pretty big deterrent. Throw that in with a basic alarm setup and you should be pretty set.

May sound a little redneck, but....
      1. Run a hot wire that becomes live anytime the ignition is on (i.e. Radio, etc.)
      2. Connect the hot wire to a toggle switch.
      3. Then run the wire to the horn.

Anytime you shut off the car and want to "secure" it, flip the switch on.
      No mater how they start the car, the horn wil stay on until they find the switch (not likely), cut the horn wire....or scram and leave the scene.
      Now if they tow the car off....different story. KISS Keep It Simple Stupid.
      Last edited by IMPALA MAN; 03-02-2015 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Update

Most Classic stolen are flatbedded not started and driven off.

Think about it. We park out where nobody is parked close. Makes it easy for them.

They don't care if it has a steering lock, hidden starter switches, no steering wheel

Flat bed rolls up and loads in about 90 seconds and it's gone.

Anybody watching thinks nothing of it. Just a car that broke down as they see it being towed off.

Keep it where you can see it and have good agreed value insurance

Since most are stolen on a flatbed. How could we keep a car from being loaded? Could they load it say if the wheels would not turn or if the front wheels were turned to full left or right, can it still be loaded. Any suggestions?
      Custom Front Spoilers
      www.spoilersbyrandy.com

Have you ever seen the tow guys or repo guys when the snatch a car?

I was having lunch last week. Broad daylight busy parking lot. A repo guy (one guy by himself) rolls up throws some hydraulic type of dollies like these under the front wheels that were turned and drags it out of the parking space on to his flatbed in a couple of minutes.

I know on guy that Boots his own car

Name:  hydraulic_car_mover_LRG.jpg
Views: 1486
Size:  18.8 KB

My buddy used to do repos and I'd tag along every now and then. His favorite for cars in the driveway was to throw dish soap all over the ground and tires and then pour a couple of gallons of water around it. He would hook up and the car would just glide on out. Coolest trick I ever saw.

If they want it they'll take it. Insurance important and make sure it goes up each year as our cars appreciate not depreciate. I run two kill switches in my Buick which is a daily driver, in the show pony Camaro I have 3, 2 ignition and one on the fuel pump. In all they are all hidden in different locations, some very very hard to get to. In the Buick I park as much as possible in parking garages as it's harder to get flatbeds in them
      Chris Luxford

68 Camaro 632 BBC

61 Buick Lesabre - Daily Driver

06 Prius - Wife's a tree hugger !

Overinsure is easiest and best thing to Do
      you can have a posted guard if you have it $$$ like that lol

Some things i have are
      grant removeable steeringwheel
      lok it steering colum lock
      anti theft type door locks so you cant do the coat hanger trick
      20 set gorrilla locking lugnuts
      Z-lok to keep hood locked
      add a couple killswitches to the mix...can be physical switch, magnetic or RFID

If you have a garage put it there and leave another car to block the garage door

For a manual car
      http://simjack.com:8185/Secure_Clutc...lutchLock1.JPG
      72 buick skylark
      twin-turbo fuel injected buick 350..perhaps stroked to 370 in the works!

A well thought out viper alarm will keep thieves from driving it away, and a low enough car will slow them down when they try to tow it away.
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

I would look into a Viper Alarm with early warning and GPS tracking. The early earning will alert you by email, text, or phone call if the car is moved without the transponder being near the car. The GPS feature is a good idea if the area you are in and the local law enforcement is not equipped with the LoJack locating receivers.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by spacepirate View Post
      It's not really an alarm thing but I'm doing a removable steering wheel. I figure no wheel is a pretty big deterrent. Throw that in with a basic alarm setup and you should be pretty set.
      Has anyone found a removable steering wheel collar that lets you keep your horn?
      Gary Morris

1969 Chevelle
      TSP 418 LS3, North Texas Converter 4l80e
      Ridetech Level 2 coilover suspension, C6 Z51 Brakes
      See the finished product here:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...lle?highlight=

2015 Camaro ZL1, intake, headers, pullies

Ive had this idea for a while now... air ride and laying body and frame was the best deterrent for the flat bed thief...

lay body and put on the ends of your frame a small spike on each side of the frame as anchors into the pavement then have a kill on the pump..

walla.. like trying to drag a mattress made out of concrete on top of the flatbed..

Country Flag: Canada
      Haha, yup, if I air mine right down the tires are into the inner wheelwells hard and the headers are on the ground.
      Gary Morris

1969 Chevelle
      TSP 418 LS3, North Texas Converter 4l80e
      Ridetech Level 2 coilover suspension, C6 Z51 Brakes
      See the finished product here:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...lle?highlight=

2015 Camaro ZL1, intake, headers, pullies

Quote Originally Posted by gmorris View Post
      Has anyone found a removable steering wheel collar that lets you keep your horn?
      not sure if mine retained the horn with the logo horn caps or not now hmm
      72 buick skylark
      twin-turbo fuel injected buick 350..perhaps stroked to 370 in the works!

I lay out the buick sometimes, it's on bags, it lays frame and the headers on the ground, having said that they could still "drag it" onto a flat bed, it would be loud and make a mess but could be done. It's not a fail safe deterrent. But it certainly makes it a lot harder
      Chris Luxford

68 Camaro 632 BBC

61 Buick Lesabre - Daily Driver

06 Prius - Wife's a tree hugger !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com