Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Canada

Goodyear Blue Streak (vintage) compounds

For the Goodyear Blue streak G-7 tires, sizes 6.00-15 and 7.00-15 tires, they are offered in an R655 compound and a FIRM compound. Does anyone have experience with both of these and can share how much faster the R655 is and how much longer the FIRM will last?

Thanks

I believe that's what the guy who owns the chopped top Porsche Carrera that is referred to as King of Mulholland used.
      He recently (last year or two) put it back on the road. What I remember was the sizes do not match the nominal (numeric catalog sizes) even a bit!!
      Let me see if I can find the link. It's a heck of a read.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...-hill-rsr.html

Oops and it's 100 pages, too... umm look for posts around a year ago and back.

Over 330 pages haha... the search function would be nice for that thread.

I do know the 6.00-15 is really a 25.5x10 give or take, and the 7.00s are 26.5x12.0s.

Quote Originally Posted by -SS454- View Post
      Over 330 pages haha... the search function would be nice for that thread.

I do know the 6.00-15 is really a 25.5x10 give or take, and the 7.00s are 26.5x12.0s.
      Yah, you got the idea. Me, being simple minded went "6.00-15 -- Oh, so they make old VW and European/Brit sports car size."

I ran 6.00-15/7.00-15's on my 66 Shelby GT350 Vintage Race Car. I also ran the Hoosier Street TD. Both Bias Ply.

I ran the harder compound 6.00-15/7.00-15's as they would last a LOT longer than the softer compound Goodyears. Since those tires were about $1200 a set how long the damn things last was very important to me!

Remember this was real wheel to wheel road racing not an autocross. In an autocross the soft compounds would be a better choice especially if you have a heavy car.

The Hoosier Street TD was a great tire for about 20 laps and that was it. They would get real greasy real fast and loose lot's of bite. This was in a 3200 lb car with me in it and fuel. In a 20 minute "Sprint" race the Hoosier's were OK IF they were new since a 20 minute Sprint race was less than 20 laps. At a $700 a set they were just OK.

The Goodyear was MUCH MORE PREDICTABLE and longer lasting. When the Hoosier "broke loose" you were pretty much GONE! When the Goodyear's "broke loose" you had a much better chance of saving the car and that was especially true when the tires had some laps on em.

In a nutshell the Goodyear's were worth the extra money for my car.
      Mike

Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

www.musclecardeals.com

Excellent post. Thank you!

That has sold me on the FIRM compound Goodyear G-7s

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com