Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Great work on the mini-tubs! They are on my list of parts I want to purchase in the future, along with the ridetech 4 link you have. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and taking notes.

Also, thanks for the tip on the rivnuts! Very slick, and I'm definitely copying that idea.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

Country Flag: Sweden
      Quote Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a View Post
      Great work on the mini-tubs! They are on my list of parts I want to purchase in the future, along with the ridetech 4 link you have. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and taking notes.

Also, thanks for the tip on the rivnuts! Very slick, and I'm definitely copying that idea.
      Thanks for the kind words!

I read somewhere in the forum an even better idea (after I was already done).
      Test-fit the four link cradle first and when happy, drill the holes. When you do the mini tub later on you can weld plates with proper nuts on the inside while having the frame notched!

Did some more work yesterday evening/night. Gutted the doors completely and got the headliner out too.
      Pro-tip: if you want to remove an old headliner be prepared to buy a new one, and also use your glasses and breathing protection! A lot of old crud raining down!

Luckily I wanted to replace the headliner due to a stitched tear right in the middle next to the light.

Name:  IMG_0101.JPG
Views: 1000
Size:  546.0 KB
      Doors ready to be cleaned out, sanded and primed. Then later properly soundproofed.

Name:  IMG_0106.JPG
Views: 1012
Size:  435.0 KB
      Headliner out. Things looking pretty good but there are some spots to take care of.

Name:  IMG_0107.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  103.1 KB
      Old headliner. Replace it with the same but new or try to make something out of alcantara?

Hate to do something 90% (although it’s always during the last 10% you find something else that needs your attention) so I just had to take a look at what condition the roof was under the roof insulation.
      Didn’t plan to remove them but two of them were sagging a bit.
      Underneath things looked pretty okay considering there was zero paint/primer. Will get these cleaned up an epoxy-primed.

The reason I’m tearing the car apart during a four link install is that I have 2k primer in a rattle can for those vertical spaces. Once activated I better have all spaces prepped if I don’t want to blow my budget on 2k rattle cans!

I just need to prep the roof and one door, after that I should be able to lay down some sea sealer and then primer.

Name:  IMG_0112.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  151.7 KB
      Name:  IMG_0114.JPG
Views: 968
Size:  445.8 KB

That is awesome machining done right in the garage!

Quote Originally Posted by armourmark View Post
      That is awesome machining done right in the garage!
      Thanks! The fun haven’t even started yet!;)

Pretty much finished sanding old paint and rust spots. Did some seam sealing on one of the tubs and it seems pretty straight forward.

I’m simultaneously working on getting the Kia in good form to convert it to cash and then to front end suspension components for the Camaro.

Name:  IMG_0167.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  90.5 KB
      Sealed seams in the wheel well

Name:  IMG_0168.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  122.9 KB
      Sealed inside as well

Name:  IMG_0145.JPG
Views: 865
Size:  704.5 KB
      Cleaning a clogged DPF, fixing the parking brake, some rust spots and then a good polish will convert this to fun stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Dewil View Post
      Hate to do something 90% (although it’s always during the last 10% you find something else that needs your attention) so I just had to take a look at what condition the roof was under the roof insulation.
      Didn’t plan to remove them but two of them were sagging a bit.
      Underneath things looked pretty okay considering there was zero paint/primer. Will get these cleaned up an epoxy-primed.

The reason I’m tearing the car apart during a four link install is that I have 2k primer in a rattle can for those vertical spaces. Once activated I better have all spaces prepped if I don’t want to blow my budget on 2k rattle cans!

I just need to prep the roof and one door, after that I should be able to lay down some sea sealer and then primer.

Name:  IMG_0112.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  151.7 KB
      Name:  IMG_0114.JPG
Views: 968
Size:  445.8 KB
      What method did you use to remove the old material? This is on my list of to-dos
      '67 Camaro SS - Currently in build stage but making progress!
      **Brett**

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth67 View Post
      What method did you use to remove the old material? This is on my list of to-dos
      I just used a sharp blade to cut along the edges and after that it came off pretty easily. Figured the insulation under the reinforcement “cross” could be left alone since it would be hard to get new insulation in place or remove rust.
      A flathead screwdriver or chisel (?) to get off the residue and a wire wheel to finish it off. Pretty satisfied with the result!

Thanks...Yep, looks good to me! I want to get it pretty clean so I can get some sound deadener up there
      '67 Camaro SS - Currently in build stage but making progress!
      **Brett**

I have had the time to lay some epoxy primer down and it feels great starting to put things together instead of just sanding and putting a lot of hours making things look worse!

Name:  IMG_0204.JPG
Views: 817
Size:  336.8 KB
      Trunk

Name:  IMG_0213.JPG
Views: 832
Size:  406.1 KB
      Braces will be welded on soon but it’s easier to reach without them installed

Name:  IMG_0214.JPG
Views: 809
Size:  327.5 KB
      Primer still wet. Here there will be some sort of body to dampen sound and improve corrosion resistance

Dewil what four link did you go with?
      I had same problem fitting in frame rails on my cradle from Speedtech. But mine was definitely the car because had been hit.
      I replaced frame rails, mini tubs, trunk floor and main floor myself. Woe what a job.
      Your project looking good.
      Mine is under Jason's 67 Camaro
      TANKMASTERJ
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...touring-Camaro
      Jasons Toys
      67 Camaro White Lightning LMR LS7 powered, Speed tech Front and Rear.
      2023 Rapid Blue ZL1 the Blue Devil
      2000 HD Softail
      1989 CBR Hurricane anniversary edition

Thanks Jason,
      I went with ridetech and it fits fine after some convincing with the mallet! Will check out your thread right away!=)

The cradle for the four-link is in place and bolted down!
      Name:  IMG_0226.JPG
Views: 703
Size:  475.6 KB

I have started planning installing the rear axle.
      Not being able to reuse old u-bolts is holding me back a bit. Will get new ones next week so no biggie.
      Getting quotes on shortening the drive shaft ($300 plus u joints etc) makes me considering having a new one built with stronger 1350 u joints and a new fresh slip yoke instead ($800).
      Will decide on that when the axle housing is positioned right and measurements can be made.

Name:  IMG_0249.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  137.5 KB
      Links in spring pockets.

Name:  IMG_0251.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  123.0 KB
      Axle-link-shock assembly. Nice machined aluminum!

Name:  IMG_0258.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  206.0 KB
      Bead blasted 8,5 housing

Name:  IMG_0259.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  189.7 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Tried putting the axle housing under the car and connected the links to get an idea of where the upper tabs will be located.

I will make a dolly with three jacks to be able to precisely position the housing right before welding the tabs in place.

Name:  IMG_0288.JPG
Views: 595
Size:  477.8 KB

Looking great. I can't wait to see some more updates during the install of the rear suspension.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

Ryeguy: Thanks! Actually not that much left. Welding the tabs is up and it might not be very hard but important to get it right.
      That is where my “Camaro-rear-axle-tab-welding-adjustable-dolly-jig-2000” comes in to play!

Seems to work pretty good and should make life easier getting the axle in its proper position and adjusting pinion angle and ride height with the jacks.

Name:  IMG_0291.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  151.6 KB
      Total cost: $20

Name:  IMG_0292.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  145.8 KB

I tried a couple of days ago welding the tabs with my mig welder. Guess it haven’t got the oomph for the thicker stuff so this evening my brother in law helped me stick welding the tabs in place.

Tried fitting the axle and in looks good with the shocks and everything on.

Next up is getting a new pinion yoke, measure for a new driveshaft and while that is cooking I will paint the rear axle and assemble it!

Name:  IMG_0311.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  127.0 KB
      Name:  IMG_0310.JPG
Views: 559
Size:  489.5 KB

Awesome.. Doing the tubs and 4 link to mine this winter

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com