Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Country Flag: Sweden
      haha... "over here"? I almost regret signing up on this forum seeing all the "no compromise" builds around. Makes you want to start from scratch with new subframe, fourlink, custom axle, tranny, Engine.... but thanks! =)

I will have to make some spare braces and post them in the buying and Selling section. ;)

The tubes are 25mm in diameter with 1,25mm wallthickness. Bought them here in sweden but I bet you can find any size you want, for less $ on ebay.

Small update on the lid. More sanding ahead to make it more organic and smooth. Will se if I buff it upp or anodize it.. If I could get my red dye to work it might be nice!
      Name:  B0816827-07AB-4C35-BAF2-2AE6A2F1E5FB.jpg
Views: 1661
Size:  44.7 KB

I had to rethink the lid because the original design built to much and would interfere with the hood.
      New vented design.
      Name:  0802FAA7-B06D-45B7-B974-8B1447F4CF3C.jpg
Views: 1518
Size:  90.5 KB

I had a guy Contact me wanting to buy my Wheels and brakes. To remove the rear brakes you need to remove the axles. When doing so I found that the diff has somehow rubbed agains the pinion. The diff also sits loose with 2 mm play in any direction.

The way I see it I have two options. Either repair the existing gm10 8,2 rear end, spending Money on it. OR buying a gm10 8,5 and spending Money on it instead, getting a tougher axle. Option 2 seems better.

While Im at it why not keep spending Money and get it the way I really want it?
      Im thinking: Truetrac diff, nice diff cover, ridetech 4 bar, coilovers, dse minitubbs, meaty tires!

Any tips, opinions? Am I thinking straight?

I've seen a couple pics of your car posted over the years, I've always wanted to see more of it. Nice to see what you've got going on.
      Traven

Ok so it’s been a while.. 4 years! Got my second daughter and just didn’t have the time to keep it up. And if you are a parent you know how the first year is. That is no excuse to let my poor car sit and wait three additional years!
      Anyhow, motivation is on top and I have started the project up again.

In my last post I wrote about the crappy axle, have gotten the things to make a stronger one.
      Gm 8,5
      Truetrack diff
      Moser 31 splines (I think)

Also got a shipment of Wilwood brakes,
      Ride tech four link with coil overs and dse mini tubs.

After tearing out a super nice stereo system, seats, carpet, springs, shocks etc I have now started cutting out to fit the tubs!

When the tubs are done I will sand down/rough up the old interior paint and use a good protective 2k primer to make sure it stays solid.

After the four link is in place I will be able to measure wheel spacing to determine rims and tires.

I am also considering guldstrand mod or tubular arms, another steering box with faster ratio.

After all mechanical stuff is done I really look forward to paint and interior. Right now I am thinking blue-greyish with some sort of black stripes and blacked out chrome.

Interior I am actually thinking of sewing leather seats myself, alcantara details, carbon fiber moulding and lots of lathed aluminum parts.

I’ll keep you posted and probably also ask for your advice! Be safe!

Name:  IMG_5193.JPG
Views: 1286
Size:  358.0 KB
      Name:  IMG_5187.jpg
Views: 1281
Size:  96.1 KB
      Name:  IMG_5192.JPG
Views: 1328
Size:  256.8 KB

Country Flag: United States
      Man, I was wondering what happened.. Glad to see your back at it, keep us informed how you're coming along. I think everyone here knows how important family is! keep up the good work though.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by minendrews68 View Post
      Man, I was wondering what happened.. Glad to see your back at it, keep us informed how you're coming along. I think everyone here knows how important family is! keep up the good work though.
      Thanks! Will do. Yeah family is all that matters when it matters but I did promise my oldest daughter that we would go on a road trip, involving lots of ice cream, when the car is done. Gotta keep that promise while she still wants to hang out and still eats ice cream!;)

Pretty slow progress since I had knee surgery this fall. Crawling around in the car wasn’t an option unfortunately.

I have finished one tub and started cutting out the other. A little fiddly and dirty being showered in sparks but it’s getting there. Really looking forward to the “clean mods” after epoxy priming the interior.

Here are some pics!
      Name:  IMG_6040.JPG
Views: 1097
Size:  386.0 KB
      Name:  IMG_6041.JPG
Views: 1106
Size:  444.5 KB
      Name:  IMG_6079.JPG
Views: 1115
Size:  521.5 KB

Both tubs are welded in place and the braces are also fitted. Looks a bit messy but with a little grinding and a 2k primer it will look good.

I also made small brackets for the gas springs that will aid in smoothing the action of the trunk lid!

Name:  IMG_6339.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  103.6 KB
      Name:  IMG_6338.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  111.7 KB

This evening I welded in the brackets and test- fitted the gas springs. Works great! They hold the trunk lid open with no effort but later I will test them together with the torsion springs to see what feels best.

I filmed the the action but it doesn’t seem like you can ad clips via the app so pics will have to do!:/

Name:  IMG_6352.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  144.6 KB
      Name:  IMG_6346.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  116.2 KB

Last two evenings have been spent grinding off the old paint and some minor cases of surface-rust.
      Not to bad fortunately but it feels good getting stuff done to aid longevity.

Not much to photograph but sanding/grinding really gets the garage filthy!

Last night I tried fitting the cradle for the four link an I’m having a hard time getting it to seat properly. Did som hammering on the frame rails and it slowly gets better but not there yet.
      I even tried hydraulic jacks to press it in place but not getting it to seat properly.

Guess I’m up for more “massaging” underneath (sounds better than it is)

Any one else who has had these issues fitting a four link?

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Dewil View Post
      Last night I tried fitting the cradle for the four link an I’m having a hard time getting it to seat properly. Did som hammering on the frame rails and it slowly gets better but not there yet.
      I even tried hydraulic jacks to press it in place but not getting it to seat properly.

Guess I’m up for more “massaging” underneath (sounds better than it is)

Any one else who has had these issues fitting a four link?
      Very common problem with the ridetech four link cradle. Why they designed it like that is a mystery to me.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Country Flag: UK
      Just come across this thread, awesome machine work, and great project. I'm a bit nearer to you than the US

Keep the updates coming, looking forward to the progress!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      Very common problem with the ridetech four link cradle. Why they designed it like that is a mystery to me.

Don
      Didn’t know that. To be fair my car has had some repairs during its lifetime and that does affect the fit as well.
      It’s slowly getting better but still not 100% happy yet.
      Got to figure out some reference points to measure against so I get it even and straight!

Quote Originally Posted by uk68327 View Post
      Just come across this thread, awesome machine work, and great project. I'm a bit nearer to you than the US

Keep the updates coming, looking forward to the progress!

Mark
      Thanks Mark! Will keep the posts coming as soon as there is something to show!

I have been keeping at it, hammering the cradle in to place. I’m in communication with ridetech to get some advice on if things are good enough.
      I welded a spacer plate on one of the rails to bridge the gap since three of four contact points were good.

Attaching the cradle via thread forming bolts is probably good enough but I will use blind rivet nuts to get a bit more thread interface. I know there is the option to weld it in but no.

Name:  IMG_0019.JPG
Views: 660
Size:  423.2 KB
      Name:  IMG_0042.JPG
Views: 626
Size:  32.6 KB

I’m finally satisfied to where I got the cradle positioned for the four link. Holes have been drilled and my ingenious plan of using rivnuts has begun.
      Too bad it turns out my makeshift rivnut compressor turns out to have a 30% succes-rate!
      As seen on YouTube, a long bolt held with a wrench while turning a nut to compress the rivnut perhaps only works on smaller dimensions.
      Luckily I seem to have located a neighbor owning a nifty set of pliers to make my job easier.

After the cradle is positioned and some more grinding has been done I will use 2k epoxy primer to seal all of the floor, trunk, roof and inside doors.
      Looking forward to put the car more together than tearing it apart!
      Here are some pics of the rivnuts

Name:  IMG_0066.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  79.3 KB
      Mushroomed on the inside

Name:  IMG_0068.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  89.9 KB
      Perhaps not as strong as a regular nut and washer but way stronger than self tapping bolts in sheet metal

Name:  IMG_0067.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  104.7 KB
      My homemade tool. No need for you to try it on larger dimensions

Ok just feel the need to update on the home made rivnut gizmo not working.
      I saw a different video on YouTube where the guy drilled out the nut and used it with toothed washers as an “extension” of the rivnut. Long story short: it works!

Also found a pic of a 1:64 scale Camaro with a nice blue-cyan-tealish color I really liked...

Name:  IMG_0073.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  134.7 KB
      This is how you do it! Hold nut with wrench and crank bolt. Job done

Name:  IMG_0069.JPG
Views: 545
Size:  171.1 KB
      Really nice color! Goes good with blacked out trim..

Yesterday I welded some holes shut and also got the side windows out. I know this thread isn´t much fun right now but taking pictures of scuffed up floor pans doesn´t make for exciting content. Soon however I will epoxy-prime and then I will post som before and after-pics!
      Also got the cradle fitting snug and after priming I will get on to fitting the rear axle housing, welding tabs, powdercoat/painting it and filling it with new fresh internals.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com