Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Dashcam recommendations?

I'm wondering how many of you run a dash cam. I was watching some of the dash cam video from Russian drivers and it strikes me that a dash cam might not be a bad idea. Anyone running one and what do you recommend.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Russin drivers are worse then the stereo type.of asian drivers and female drivers
      Ive watch too many videos of russians either crashing or attempting to parallel park

If you strictly just want to use it as a dash cam only get the cheapest one...
      otherwise spring for a sony as100v or gopro4 black or replay prime x and have multiple uses
      72 buick skylark
      twin-turbo fuel injected buick 350..perhaps stroked to 370 in the works!

Watching the Russian car cam videos is one reason I was thinking of a dedicated cam. I have to wonder what the Russian auto accident rate is and what they do for auto insurance. Judging from the videos on youtube they must suck as drivers.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      Watching the Russian car cam videos is one reason I was thinking of a dedicated cam. I have to wonder what the Russian auto accident rate is and what they do for auto insurance. Judging from the videos on youtube they must suck as drivers.
      Russia has a lot of drunk driving and insurance fraud is pretty common. I am sure you have seen pedestrians running into cars on purpose.

I am interested in this as well. I would like to have a dedicated dash cam that will automatically cache about 2-6 hours of video and just record over the previous footage. 1080p would be nice, but 720p would be good enough. Something like this is also excellent in case you get pulled over.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

This seem like a nice option:

http://dashboardcamerareviews.com/dod-ls430w/

The above website pretty much has every camera that is available reviewed.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I have been using the previous model of this camera in my truck for the last 9 months or so.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Newest-Ambar...item19fbccb04e

I have it hard wired into my rear view mirror, so it fires up whenever I start the truck and there are no wires to be seen.

Mike

I like my GoPRo hero 2. its a lot of fun and isn't that expensive. The Hero 4 has a few more options but somewhat higher.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

I have this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works fine so far. Records 10 mins of video, then rewrites it. Cheap enough to leave in the car.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

I have been looking at the mini+0803 car cam. It looks like a quality cam and it can record 1-3-5 minute files and has built in GPS. When it fills up the SD card it starts overwriting the oldest file creating a loop that lasts about 5 hours. It is designed to install and forget. There is a guy on youtube, Techmoan, that does a number of car cam video reviews that I have been watching. He really seems to know what he is talking about. Here is a beginners guide to car cams he has posted.

Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by minendrews68 View Post
      I like my GoPRo hero 2. its a lot of fun and isn't that expensive. The Hero 4 has a few more options but somewhat higher.
      I have been looking into dash cams since yesterday and I bumped on this thread. I am particularly interested in the GoPro hero 2 you've mentioned here. I am wondering if you can share with me the benefits. I compared Viofo A129 Duo and Blackvue DR750S-2H, on this dash cam review site, but I still find it hard to pick the most durable. Perhaps your experience will make a difference.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com