Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Threaded View

Country Flag: United States

1950 Ford F-1 project redo

So I've been a long time lurker, mostly because my truck projects were small, and later put on the back burner to build a race car. To start the story, my dad and I originally built the truck when I was 15. Living in MN it seemed like a good idea to have 4wd, so we swapped a 1979 F150 chassis and running gear underneath the 1950 body. It worked well, and was a blast to drive, but driving in the couple winters I did was a big mistake. It sat and started rusting as I went off to college, but moved with me out to Detroit. In Detroit I did a rebuild of the 351M up to a 408, but couldn't quite bite the bullet on starting a swap back to 2wd for more of a street truck. Below is a pic from its time in Michigan.

Upon moving back to the Twin Cities, I promptly had the rear driveshaft break while at a cruise night. Luckily I just pulled it, locked my hubs and drove home. Where it sat for a few more years until I could decide how to fix it. Putting in a new driveshaft was too simple, and I had the nagging idea for years to put it back to a cruiser and make it 2wd. This is also the point where a race car hijacked my plans, and mostly my time.

In the long run, I learned a lot building the car, and that helped the truck project. Here are a few more of the truck in 4wd mode. These are all roughly circa 2005.

Then in 2010 we began the teardown work in my dad's barn. Being an hour away slowed progress a bit as well. Having the one piece fiberglass front end made some of this work easier.

More to follow...
      Attached Images Attached Images            

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com