Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Front Fender "Massaging"

Howdy,

The 255/40/18s on my 72 Buick GS rub the rear face of the front fenders approach full lock (top sides and lips have no issues). I have stock lower arms and SPC uppers, so the recommended caster setting puts the tire back decently far into the wheel well. I was wondering what sorts of techniques y'all have tried to gain some extra room. I was thinking a 4lb hammer, but that doesn't seem very sophisticated I am terrible at body work by the way...

Thanks!

You can rent Eastwood fender rollers on ebay. Or buy one
      Stephen

The old way was to place a baseball bat sideways between the tire and fender and then roll the tire with the bat pinched in between. It rolls the fender quite well.

Hey guys thanks for the replies. I know about those methods, but the issue is not the lip, but the rear part of the inner fender itself.

the lower ball joint needs to be moved forward to be correct,,,, or just bang the back of the fender back...I don't know if the SPC lower arm relocates the lower ball joint forward (that moves the wheel forward centering it and gives more caster) also helps the akerman some (because the steering arms are not shoved backwards) call up who ever sold you the SPC arms and they should be able to help you

The SPC lower arm will move it forward.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I know the SPC arm will move it forward for sure. I believe you get an extra degree of caster. Those arms are on the list of things to get down the road. I ended up whacking the crap out of the fender with a 4 lb sledge.... seemed to open up enough room to help the little rub I have, but probably not enough for aggressive driving. It looks like one of the fenders was subject to a bad blowout or something, as it is kinda jacked up on the bottom. It exacerbates the issue and I didn't really notice until looking at both sides and taking the hammer to it. Thanks for the help, and I am always open to other suggestions!

WarHawg, if you roll your fender lip do it gently. Sheet metal doesn't mind being moved, but it does mind being manhandled. The baseball bat works well as do the fender rolling tools. It can also be done with a hammer. Work back and forth along the fender edge, using multiple passes and rolling it a bit further each time. By doing so you'll avoid working any unpleasant distortions into the fender. Just going to town on it with a BFH will put all kinds of waves and whoopdies into it. Don't be afraid of it, just don't try to do it all in one operation.
      Cars are meant to be driven.

John B

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com