Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

68 Camaro Spectre front spoiler doesn't want to fit. Help

After eating some cones recently with my OEM style front spoiler I decided to bite the bullet and install a Spectre as I wanted something with more coverage on the front and it was the only option I saw.

However, it doesn't want to fit. For others who have installed this spoiler how much did you have to bend it to get it to fit?

Out of the box the tips were bent inwards so right away I straightened them. However, I still can't get this thing to fit even close to the body. The inner radius at the fender extensions doesn't line up. Its like the entire 90* bend needs to be at a wider angle.

Also, the part of the spoiler that should be flush against the sheet metal (see red circle below) wants to just dig in and gouge my fender extension when the fender is lined up properly. The flange needs to be bent in more towards the bottom of the spoiler from what I can see.

I've already spent an hour trial fitting and using my vice to make small adjustments. I can't go any further without making the spoiler nonreturnable so I thought I'd check in with you experts first.

Thanks
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Nice car. I also have the TCI suspension. Going to do a track day soon. Been autocrossing a bunch over the past year working out the kinks.

Maybe they sent you one for a 69? (just thinking out loud) It seems Rod (on this forum) put one on his 68 Camaro. What was the part number you used? Was it Spectre Performance 90035? (that's supposed to be the correct one for 67-68). I want to get this one for my Firebird.
      -Mitch
      G8 GXP, White Hot, Auto, bone stock
      68 Firebird, 428 Pontiac, CNC'd KRE Al d-ports, hyd roller, EFI, TKO600, TCI Eng complete chassis, Ridetech, Kore3 C6Z brakes, C5Z 18" with 315 rivals x4, C6zr1 mufflers
      RRR, NASA HPDE https://youtu.be/DPp1l9-FuNE

Quote Originally Posted by gator68428 View Post
      Nice car. I also have the TCI suspension. Going to do a track day soon. Been autocrossing a bunch over the past year working out the kinks.

Maybe they sent you one for a 69? (just thinking out loud) It seems Rod (on this forum) put one on his 68 Camaro. What was the part number you used? Was it Spectre Performance 90035? (that's supposed to be the correct one for 67-68). I want to get this one for my Firebird.
      Yes it was the right one for the 68. The 69 is noticeably different than the 67-68 so I confirmed it wasn't the wrong one in the the box too. After talking with Spectre on the phone I got the fit a little better but it still is pretty far off. In case anyone else stumbles on this thread trying to install one of these you have to install the spoiler forward on the lower valence compared to the OEM position. This makes everything line up better on mine but it still doesn't' fit.

Congrats on the TCI suspension. I enjoy bigger autocrosses a lot but a road course is a whole nother level of fun for me

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Great job this weekend Chad at USCA Las Vegas. First timer award and 4th place in class, Nice! Just saw the TCI fb post; car looks great. Front spoiler looks great in the pic too; looks like it held up. I'm getting it. Post that pic here if you can for others to see.

Just did my first two track days this month. It was great. Made the opening of a local Video here in FL. Track is the Florida International Rally and Motorsports (FIRM) park near Starke (SW of Jacksonville).
      https://youtu.be/pc_aPvo37ys

And, just placed second at Good Guys Kissimmee this past weekend.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuLrqhgR2j0

Preparing to eventually do a USCA event! I am definitely hooked! Need that spoiler though before I start hitting high speeds (FIRM i stayed under 120 mph).

(last name McCarthy)
      Name:  gg2.jpg
Views: 1199
Size:  53.4 KB
      Name:  gg1.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  40.8 KB
      -Mitch
      68 Firebird, 428 Pontiac, CNC'd KRE Al d-ports, hyd roller, EFI, TKO600, TCI Eng complete chassis, Ridetech, Kore3 C6Z brakes, C5Z 18" with 315 rivals x4, C6zr1 mufflers

Thanks McCarthy! Congratz to doing so well at goodguys!

I just noticed this so sorry for the late reply. Spectre discontinued this spoiler so once they sell out of the stock it is gone. Also, I had to take the spoiler to Fast Eddies which is the shop that actually made the prototypes for Spectre and it took him 4.5 hour labor of cutting bending and rewelding to get it to fit. Glad to know I wasn't crazy when i wasn't able to get it to fit when trying to install it in my garage. I am happy with the durability of the spoiler though as I hit some cones at optima.

Here is a cool pic of the spoiler.

And at speed

Quote Originally Posted by Chad-1stGen View Post
      Thanks McCarthy! Congratz to doing so well at goodguys!

I just noticed this so sorry for the late reply. Spectre discontinued this spoiler so once they sell out of the stock it is gone. Also, I had to take the spoiler to Fast Eddies which is the shop that actually made the prototypes for Spectre and it took him 4.5 hour labor of cutting bending and rewelding to get it to fit. Glad to know I wasn't crazy when i wasn't able to get it to fit when trying to install it in my garage. I am happy with the durability of the spoiler though as I hit some cones at optima.
      Shame they couldn't get it right and discontinued it. That's actually very close to the design I envisioned for mine.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Got the Spectre spoiler installed on my Firebird. Took some finagling but I got it to fit OK. Probably not quite as flush as Chad's but It'll get the job done.

Still for sale on Amazon. Price was $385 in Jan. Now $411, and going up I'm sure. I like the design of this one, how it goes out wider than others for first gens. Took some messing with but not too bad.

I went with black as you can see in the second two pics.

-Mitch

That looks REALLY good!

Jim
      1968 Camaro --502HO, ATI 10" TreeMaster, Hughes TH400 with Gear Vendor's OD, Moser 12-bolt, RideTech StrongArms and MuscleBar, Chris Alston G-bar rear suspension, 2 1/8" by 4" Lemon's Headers through 3" Pypes X-pipe and Hooker AeroChambers.

I'd like to revive this thread. I have a 1969 Firebird and am looking for something like this.

Does anyone know if the 67-68 or the 69 Camaro version would be closer to fitting a 69 Firebird? I don't mind trying to find one and doing some modifications to make it work, but I'd like to start with the one that's closest...

Thanks!
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com