Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      On its Facebook page, BP Automotive says that it is introducing an AC drier that includes 2 ports - a port for the binary switch, and a metric port for the AC pressure sensor. Looks like the ideal configuration for a setup like I've been attempting. No word yet on pricing, but I have a couple of inquiries pending.

1969 Camaro - LSA motor, 6L90 transmission, TCI front subframe, TCI torque arm rear suspension, Ford 9" rearend

Yes, this is a great solution. I wish I had had this on my current build!
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

The drier is now for sale on BP Automotive's web site. $60 for just the drier with 2 ports; $100 for the drier and pressure sensor; $115 for the drier, pressure sensor and binary switch. Talked to Bill on the phone and he's a super nice and helpful guy. I ordered mine today and will let you know how the installation goes.
      Here a link: http://shop.bp-automotive.com/search...keywords=drier

Quote Originally Posted by terrydmorgan View Post
      On its Facebook page, BP Automotive says that it is introducing an AC drier that includes 2 ports - a port for the binary switch, and a metric port for the AC pressure sensor. Looks like the ideal configuration for a setup like I've been attempting. No word yet on pricing, but I have a couple of inquiries pending.

1969 Camaro - LSA motor, 6L90 transmission, TCI front subframe, TCI torque arm rear suspension, Ford 9" rearend

Drier arrived today. I installed it and noted a few minor issues. The drier is longer than the one supplied by Vintage Air, and thus the hard line would not fit as originally intended. However, I reversed the position of the hard line and it seems to work. Finally, the fitting for the binary switch is male, but the binary switch supplied by Vintage Air is also a male fitting, so I'll need to get a new binary switch with a female fitting, or a male-to-male adapter.

I have ordered more connectors. I will let those who want them know when they arrive.
      Thanks
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Added some 1" offsets to move the drier away from the condensor to give me a little room to accommodate the pressure sensor and its electrical connector.

Terry,

Is your set up working? I've got no working fans, and it's making me crazy. I've gone through this thread and the one on Lat-g several times today trying to figure out what I've done wrong, but I sure can't figure out any thing.

Wiring
      pwm wire from #6 on the controller to J3-49. Check.
      Fused power to pin #3 on the controller. Check.
      Ground from pin #2 on the controller. Check.
      Fan ground to pin #1 on the controller. Check.
      Fan power to pin #4 on the controller. Check.

Programming
      Modify Fan to PWM Electric, running at 128 Hz.
      Add values to Fan Desired % vs ECT table.
      Add values to Fan Desired % vs AC pressure table.

What am I missing?
      John Parsons

For fun, I did a quickie re-wire with a relay, changed the ECM back to discrete, and the fan came on as it should.

That says the problem is either in the programming or in the fan controller. And since having both new fan controllers not work seems unlikely, I'm left with programming. But that's dead simple, see above.

Maybe both controllers are bad? Maybe that's why I got such a good deal on them?
      John Parsons

Sorry John, but I don't have mine programmed yet. I'd put a scope on the output J3-49. In pwm mode, you should see a signal that varies with temperature/pressure. If not, then could be an ECU issue. If the signal does vary, then problem is likely with the fan controller.

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      For fun, I did a quickie re-wire with a relay, changed the ECM back to discrete, and the fan came on as it should.

That says the problem is either in the programming or in the fan controller. And since having both new fan controllers not work seems unlikely, I'm left with programming. But that's dead simple, see above.

Maybe both controllers are bad? Maybe that's why I got such a good deal on them?

Thanks Terry. I've got a Fluke 87 multi-meter on the way. It can read pwm signals.

I'm sending my controllers to Andrew Borodin -- he's got a known working setup on his 67 Cougar, so he can test the controllers. In the meantime, I've rewired my setup just a bit so I can swap between discrete (relay) controls and PWM controllers by swapping out the sub-harness. It lets me continue on the rest of the car...
      John Parsons

Andrew reports that my controllers work perfectly.

And so after a considerable amount of debugging, testing components, and general frustration and angst... I called GM Powertrain today and talked with tech support. They tell me that the fan pwm circuit is disabled in the GMPP crate motor ECMs in an effort to simplify tech support and reduce warranty claims.

So: you guys with GMPP crate motor E67s... how did you get your PWM fans to work?
      John Parsons

Mine's not a crate motor, so I may be OK. Did you ask if you could get new software with pwm enabled? Seems like a fair request since they probably don't advertise the reduced functionality.

Andrew reports that my controllers work perfectly.

And so after a considerable amount of debugging, testing components, and general frustration and angst... I called GM Powertrain today and talked with tech support. They tell me that the fan PWM circuit is disabled in the GMPP crate motor ECMs in an effort to simplify tech support and reduce warranty claims.

So: you guys with GMPP crate motor E67s... how did you get your PWM fans to work?

Yes, you'll be ok, I think.

No, GM has no solution, other than to note that many have re-wired and programmed the E67 to run dual fan relays at different temperatures. Which I already have working. And if that supports the AC pressure %, it may be acceptable.

Or get another ECU. Or get a standalone fan controller like this one from Derale: http://derale.com/products/electric-...n-probe-detail

jp
      Last edited by parsonsj; 07-29-2015 at 02:52 PM.
      John Parsons

But, It's just a software issue, right? Someone should be able to load a different program that has pwm already enabled. However, it might be just as expensive as buying a new ECU.

Yes, you'll be ok, I think.

No, GM has no solution, other than to note that many have re-wired and programmed the E67 to run dual fans at different temperatures. Which I already have working. And if that supports the AC pressure %, it may be acceptable.

I think my way out is to get another ECU.

jp

In a follow-up call, I asked if the crate E67 honors the AC pressure input. Answer: no. No support for A/C pressure.

I asked about reverse lockout. he didn't know, but will check with Engineering. I'll get an email response.

Maybe a new ECU is the way to go.
      John Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by Terry
      But, It's just a software issue, right?
      I don't think so. I can set the pwm option in my HP Tuner options. It loads to the ECU, etc. It just doesn't work.
      John Parsons

JP, my reverse lockout is working on my crate E67 pcm. I just added the wire to the PCM plug (ground side) and the other is IGN source.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Chris, thanks! That's good news.
      John Parsons

So, here's what I've learned last night/today. My E67 (GM PN 12636660) started life intended for an 07-08 Hummer. I think it's true that 07-08 E67s are incompatible with OS's written for 09+ E67s.

Given that, it seems I'm stuck. Getting a later E67 and a newer OS (like from a ZR1) is beyond my current abilities, I think.

I have read that HPTuners has an OS patch to support pwm fans, but I can't seem to find any such animal.

Anyway, that's the situation as I see it. Am I wrong? Would it be doable to get GM's ZR1 tune working with my crate motor LS9 if I got a newer E67?
      John Parsons

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com