Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1970 GTO -- Goatzilla

This will be the build thread on my 1970 GTO. "Goatzilla?" . . . Anyways just purchased locally in October, 20 year old repaint, no rust, "rebuilt" Pontiac 400 with a crusty-looking but working TH400. Plans are for rebuilding the 400 properly for now with a bump in compression, modern running gear and seats, and the addition of AC and a decent stereo. Car will be closer to Touring than to Pro, it won't be a high-dollar build and I have a track car to thrash (92 Formula with a 383/T56) so don't need to go all-out on the race stuff on this one.

Longterm plans include either A) an LS/T56 transplant or B) build up a turbo Pontiac or LS. My last ride (sold in the Spring) was an 11-second Turbo Buick and I do miss the power rush; we'll see what time brings.

Loaded up to come home:

Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by andrewb70; 01-05-2016 at 07:47 AM.
      70 GTO - Alum 5.3/4L80e, 7875
      17 GT350

Sold the Centerlines ASAP and rolled into the garage on stock rims.
      17 GT350

Coming apart. The original owner did what we used to call an "overhaul" on a 1972 mill (original engine long gone) rather than a proper rebuild, and never fired or installed it. Cam was ridiculous for the heads, etc. I tore it down to the shortblock and checked everything, ended up polishing the crank (you should have SEEN the goop that came out of the oil passages) and changing out the new bearings cause they were already scored. New cam on the way and scored some high-compression heads from a 70. Might go with aluminum heads later but we'll see. I cant believe he put a crank back in looking like this:
      17 GT350

Interior. Pulled the seats and carpets and found NO rust, I was amazed. I knew there was only surface rust underneath from many years of storage, and I knew the trunk was clean, but I thought there would be SOMETHING, somewhere, that made me go "AAARGH."

I did, however, find a big ol mouse nest under the back seat, two in the headliner, and one in the kickpanel vent with a little petrified bugger at the bottom, R.I.P.
      17 GT350

Had the dash redone and installed a new cluster from Fast Lane Racing. Comes complete with gauges but you have to wire everything, it is definitely not a bolt-in. The end result is well worth it, though.

I have red leather seats on the way from a new-style GTO, and new black carpet to kill the red a little. The whole interior is red and it's just a bit much for me. A set of Year One Rally II's are also waiting at the border, that will do it for major items this winter. Found some used SC&C suspension pieces locally (thanks Gary!) and installed the front end. I was amazed at the dirt caked into the front crossmember and frame horns -- at least an inch in both, probably 20 pounds worth.
      17 GT350

Country Flag: United States
      Nice project!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Year One Rallys installed, 245's on 17x8 and 275's on 17x9. Car will drop another inch or so in the front (when the engine goes in) and an inch or two in the rear (didn't change to the SPC springs yet.) As it turns out I could probably have gone with 275's in the front on the 9" rims, but various sources told me they'd never fit. Anyone ever put 275's on a 17x8 rim? I could then go 275/285 staggered.
      17 GT350

Seats are here. I'm finding that the pitfall with a red interior is that all reds are different, whereas black is pretty much black if you have black. I may look into some re-dying of various parts when all is said and done. I still think the red GTO seats were the best choice.
      17 GT350

Seats mounted. Cut apart the rears and pushed them tight against the armrest panels, lines them up much better with the front buckets and leaves room for a custom center console of some sort. Any ideas for something that might be made to fit?

Fronts needed 8 different brackets made up as all the floor corners are different heights and shapes, and the seat tracks are 4" wider than stock. End result is perfect though -- I'm 6'1" and can sit in the seat with a helmet on. Full 8-way power seats on both sides are nice . . . Front buckets are much bulkier than the originals though, don't leave much rear legroom.

Luckily the red is not as far off as I expected. I think no matter what red interior parts I get, nothing will match the 45 year-old red existing panels well. Not uncommon with red in general I think. Funny how it changes with the camera flash, the front and back seats are identical yet show up very differently in photos. I remember my Turbo Buick had red cloth interior and it looked absolutely horrid in photos, while it wasn't bad in person.

Now just to change the outboard rear seatbelt mount position, clean it up and soundproof/carpet the floors.
      17 GT350

Coming along pretty good. I like you wheels. I am still thinking of putting in the GTO rear seats in my 65 Skylark. I did get the attachment points for the bottom of the rear seats. I will be following along to see how it all turns out.

The judge is dope...look into rub-n-restore if you need new leather dye, I really like that stuff
      Justin Novick
      Sales/Support
      Entropy Radiator / Engineered Cooling Products
      "The Sexiest Radiators For The Sexiest Hot Rods"

www.EntropyRad.com www.SpeedCooling.com

Quote Originally Posted by Justin@EntropyRad View Post
      look into rub-n-restore if you need new leather dye, I really like that stuff
      Hm, might be the answer. When the guts are all done I'll look into it. Thanks.

Your rads look great as well, will keep in mind when the time comes.
      17 GT350

Right on!
      Justin Novick
      Sales/Support
      Entropy Radiator / Engineered Cooling Products
      "The Sexiest Radiators For The Sexiest Hot Rods"

www.EntropyRad.com www.SpeedCooling.com

Country Flag: Canada
      Nice project. Keep the updates coming !
      Jayson - '65 Beaumont Convertible

Front floors -- lucky me.
      17 GT350

Hah isn't Goatzilla trademarked? Pretty funny we are going to have to trademark our "cool" build names. "rolls eyes"...

Runs off to trademark office to get Goatzilla...

Back seats are hard to fit, I have seen a lot cut them back and down to make those back seats usable.

I have a set of black 2004-6 seats and I made mine into a two seater but I need some room for a roll cage. I was thinking I could put one seat but said F it, its a two seater, Maybe a little storage in the back.

New carpet and rear seats are in. I'm 6'1" and my head just brushes the headliner, so they're a little high. Not much to be done about that, and it's pretty common in all cars at my height anyways. The number of times I will sit back there again will be zero. Time to go start measuring fancy consoles at the junkyard for fitment. I left an extra power wire in the trunk for Ipad chargers, etc, maybe some kind of a cooler . . .
      17 GT350

Nice project! I'm a big fan of white muscle cars.

I'm selling a console I was going to use in my Cutlass, maybe it will work for you?

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...hlight=console

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

Carpet, dash, stereo, speakers, seats, and console are all in, wired and mounted. Just a few little things left like the shifter trim etc and the interior is DONE . . . for now :-))

Time to get back to the engine . . .
      17 GT350

Car is looking good. Get some Zaino leather in a bottle for the seats and it will help ease those wrinkles. Made all the difference in the world on our 04 GTO.

You mentioned running 275's on 8" wheels. I had ordered 275 40/17 redline tires before I knew the 17 x 9's wouldn't fit our 68 LeMans. I ran the 275's on the 8" wheel and they looked fine- I little bulge but fine. I ended up having to go to 245's because the 68 fenders kept rubbing.

These are 275's on an 8" wheel all the way around:

I have 275's all the way around on my 70 GTO:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com