Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

68 camaro - Golem

I had originally posted this in "12 but the pics where jumbled around a bit and I wanted to clean things up being as anal as I am . After figuring out I couldn't really get the pics in order after the fact I decided to now just repost the old along with the progress. so here goes , again.....
      This project so lovingly called Golem was started in 06.I had delusions of grandeur (like of most us to when we start these labors of love) when I stated this project in the belief that everyone I was planning on dealing with was on the level and honest. After sourcing most of my parts from vendors that were (past tense now) sponsors on this site I thought I had a good handle on what I needed and a good line on how to get these parts, boy was I wrong. After months and years of dealing with tricky vendors that offered “group purchases” I soon learned that my monies where just being used to fund their own projects and that my parts that I had ordered always had a reason for not showing up but only to read how these vendors got their parts for their own private projects. With that said and years later I’m finally back on track with my 68 Camaro .
      What I have done is, replaced both ¼’s, both inner ¼’s, trunk,rear valance, package shelf, front floor boards and shaved off the drip rails. The rear is mini tubbed with a fab9 ,wavetrac gen2 ,g-bar set –up and a Ricks stainless tank with a Fuel Lab fuel pump system and front is handled by a SpeedTech sub frame .Now when I originally ordered some of these parts , at the time there where cutting edge at the time and now I will have to revisit some of my choices. BUT its all coming together with the help of a good friend that can manage my project while am out trying to make money to finish it .

I do still have some hurdles to over come , but i believe im finally im in the right shop. the original shop was fighting me tooth and nail about the image I was going after. The shop was at its heart a restoration shop and frowned on anything other then factory. After realizing I would never get my car completed at the original shop "after paying most of front" I have now switch shop and progress is starting to show. I am sure with the input from all of you we can figure it out (as a lot of you have already been where I am headed)
      On of the questions is brakes, what hydroboost systems ? I once saw a system that was installed behind the dash so the only thing you say under the hood was the master, anyone have a link or know where I can re-find that?

new photos will be added as these are from 06, although not a lot has changed BUT we will be moving forward!!!!

Thanks in advance any and all input

Here are some older pics and new ones will be updates asap
      Attached Images Attached Images          
      68 Camaro TT LSX 427 "Golem" / click the link
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ighlight=golem
      sponsored by
      www.FactoryFinishPDR.com

here is a shot of the speedtech sub
      sponsored by
      www.FactoryFinishPDR.com

underside coated
      sponsored by
      www.FactoryFinishPDR.com

some pics of what the first shop thought was acceptable. tons of pins holes and larger they just wanted to seam seal.
      sponsored by
      www.FactoryFinishPDR.com

my inspiration is Milt Burleson's Camaro

I decided to go with some different tire sizes. After seeing some Camaros at sema this year, I fell in love with the 405 25 24 for the rears
      sponsored by
      www.FactoryFinishPDR.com

parts I already have:
      LS based 427 with MID
      big stuff 3
      160lb injectors
      Jakes 4l80
      (1) PT-88 which I plan on switching out to NRE mirror image 88's
      Vintage Air
      Dakota Digital VHX series gauges
      10pt cage (waiting for install)
      wilwood 6psiton ultra lights (front)
      Ricks Stainless Tank with Fluelab pump

what I need
      body wiring harness (still unsure)
      Rims
      interior
      braking system
      rad
      and lots of time
      rear brakes
      sponsored by
      www.FactoryFinishPDR.com

i could still go back and go with a smaller dia tire but i would lose the 16in width . really the next step down is the 27x14 16 or 355/30zr19 which are 2 inches narrower. i like the trans am look and i also like the raked look. im hoping to find what i consider a balance while still having adjustability to either x-cross or 1/4 . yes i know i cant really do either with the 405's
      those are for show. is there an air ride system that may work?
      sponsored by
      www.FactoryFinishPDR.com

Country Flag: United States
      Go with Mickey Thompson Sport S/R or other street/drag radials. You can get way wider without breaking 20" diameter. If these are just for show, and your goal is width...unless you mean "funny car" kind of show.
      The 33X22.00R20LT is 17.8" tread width.
      '69 Charger TT Viper project - SOLD
      '65 Mustang Shelby clone project "almost done"

33x22r20 is taller and wider than the 405's. The 405's are 32in tall and 16 inches wide , tread width I need get an exact width.
      sponsored by
      www.FactoryFinishPDR.com

Sorry, but those tires are way too tall. It looks terrible and completely out of proportion. And let's not even talk about he huge increase in unsprung weight and MOI.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Sorry, but those tires are way too tall. It looks terrible and completely out of proportion. And let's not even talk about he huge increase in unsprung weight and MOI.

Andrew
      +1. 24" dia tire is just way too tall for a small car like a Camaro.

Good luck on the project.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post

Andrew
      Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I saw several 1st gen camaros with 405's and larger tires that I thought looked great at SEMA this year. Personally I don't like belly button cars .I prefer something a bit different. Do I like the 405s, absolutely am I convinced they will work for my desired effect, I'm not 100% sure, I'm still in the mock up stage (notice no rims). And I am open for some tire size suggestions (I do like 355 30zr19) . On the topic of unsprung weight , this isn't an F1 car so I'm not exactly sure what you think that would add up to and the over all effect considering, but I would like to hear more as it may also help me pick a size but without know exact weight on rims i cant imagine a 24in rim weighting 50lbs more per rim. I do not know the acronym "MOI". If I can get the suspension travel correct what would be the issue other than your perception of it looking terrible and out of proportion? I could go with 27 14 16 which is similar in size to the other tire I like the 355 30 zr19 . I was hoping to find a tire that was in the 27 in dia range that was 15 in wide . What is your opinion on 29 in dia still to tall? I am still open to suggestions unless you just don't like the look of flared camaros.
      sponsored by
      www.FactoryFinishPDR.com

Its your car, but I wouldn't put 24's on a Camaro. You got any SEMA pics of the 24's so we can see? I googled some pics and 90% of the pictures are DONK. I'm not sure that's what your looking for. The other 10% of pictures has the rear end of the car so high up to fit the wheel diameter. Looking at your mock up pictures, your going to have to raise the car a lot to get that to fit.

Maybe I missed it, but knowing the purpose of this car would help with tire choice. Drag? Street? A/x? or just a trailer queen/show?

Regarding unsprung weight... on my F150 I swapped out the factory 18" rims for some 20's, same size tire. Well now the wheels weigh so much that I get so much feedback (aka shimmy, shake, chatter, etc) in my steering wheel. Its a truck, so I haven't tested any of its performance testing, but I'm sure it has a diminished stopping distance etc.

And yes, the tires are same size and the wheels are balanced and rotated regularly...so that's not the problem. And I wish I never sold my factory rims because its annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by bs46488 View Post
      Its your car, but I wouldn't put 24's on a Camaro. You got any SEMA pics of the 24's so we can see? I googled some pics and 90% of the pictures are DONK. I'm not sure that's what your looking for. The other 10% of pictures has the rear end of the car so high up to fit the wheel diameter. Looking at your mock up pictures, your going to have to raise the car a lot to get that to fit.

Maybe I missed it, but knowing the purpose of this car would help with tire choice. Drag? Street? A/x? or just a trailer queen/show?
      while I wasn't smart enough to get the good pictures getting caught up in the moment and kicking myself in the ass after the fact on the flight home for not getting good pictures , here are a few examples. while granted not the best its an idea. the first one is of 309whipz. I like what they did using 22" on the fronts and 24" on the rears.
      the second and pic is of the bowtie south Camaro. in general I don't like what they did to the rear wheel opening.
      The convertible isn't bad they just didn't center the rear very well. the last 2 pics are of Mr Burleson's that is the inspiration for the build. I do plan on have rocker extensions and carry it all the way around to the rear valance, over all 2-3 inches which seems to be pretty common.

the car itself , like everyone else I want versatility . I know with the 405's I can get a drag radial in there and I know I can also get some good xcross tires with a decent sidewall as well . the front will also be flared much like Mr. Burlesons. now the 405's are 5" taller then his as well. I do like a semi raked look
      sponsored by
      www.FactoryFinishPDR.com

To each their own. I know different strokes for different folks will prevail, but I for one do not like the big wheels on the Camaro's. That being said, it's your car. Not trying to rip anyone's decision, just my .02 worth.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by minendrews68 View Post
      To each their own. I know different strokes for different folks will prevail, but I for one do not like the big wheels on the Camaro's. That being said, it's your car. Not trying to rip anyone's decision, just my .02 worth.
      I get it , a lot of people prefer stockist looking Camaro's. Most Camaro's i see all pretty much look a like just different paint schemes. Goto a car show , seen one Camaro seen them all pretty much. I had a hard enough time getting my original shop to do a mini - tub . I think I'm leaning toward a shorter tire like the 355 though . I contemplated stretching but I wanted something more dramatic. nothing's going to sway me from the flares but I may change my mind on the tire size.
      sponsored by
      www.FactoryFinishPDR.com

Gray camaro looks pretty sweet. I don't like anything more then 19s on these cars....
      The ones above it just look weird

Worse comes to worse ill return the tires. The good thing about buying stuff using Amazon prime is the amazing return policy. To bad they don't have the Pirelli P Zero 355/30 19 tires, I liked the free shipping.
      sponsored by
      www.FactoryFinishPDR.com

Well its done, placed the order for the new tires , sending the 405's back...
      sponsored by
      www.FactoryFinishPDR.com

Quote Originally Posted by KHShapiro View Post
      Well its done, placed the order for the new tires , sending the 405's back...
      So what did you decide to go with now?

MOI stands moment of inertia.

The more unsprung weight, the more the weight is further from the center of the circle the higher the MOI. The higher the MOI the more power it takes to accelerate and decelerate. So the effects on acceleration and braking are not trivial. The same applies to handling and ride quality. You'll need a lot more spring and shock to keep that mass under control.

So you see, aesthetics aside, the bigger the wheels and tires, the more unsparing weight, you'll basically hurt every aspect of performance. I believe that the Dyno West Camaro in the pictures uses 18" wheels. And the Goodyear Racing Eagles are probably bias ply, which makes them much lighter than steel belted radials.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com